PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by peter-curacao »

Very nice boat, congratulations 8)

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

If no water is going into boat while underway - why do you need scuppers? - assuming you have a bilge pump for rain water?

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I finally saw some scuppers with a rubber ball that actually seals shut and works; but I have never had much luck with scuppers.

I glued some cheap foam flip flops together with contact adhesive and then shaped them on an upturned belt sander. Put a string through the middle and make a loop.

Then plug the scupper holes from the inside.

If you ever need to drain your boat on a rush they are easy to whip out with the string; or when your boat is moored. Otherwise just keep them in.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

PangaRon your boat is beautiful and the performance sounds good. Go to Hamilton Marine and you will find the flapper scuppers that will solve your problem. These are the best solution on a boat and will be pushed close on water from the stern. Here is the site: https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet/st ... D=scuppers With a 25' boat I would use one of the larger sizes.

Do not use the ball scuppers, no one I know of has ever had any success with them.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Tom must those be mounted on a "squared up" transom? as in vertically? Otherwise what stops them hanging a bit open because of the transom angle

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No you need to build a wedge the same angle as the transom so they hang and close at 90 degrees ideally. They will still work if you don't but not as well as the force of the water will force them close. See Peter's CS 25 build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:08 am No you need to build a wedge the same angle as the transom so they hang and close at 90 degrees ideally. They will still work if you don't but not as well as the force of the water will force them close. See Peter's CS 25 build.

Tom
Scupper build starts here https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p199703
But as Tom mentioned you don't really need the wedge for them to work properly, it just looks nicer

topwater

Post by topwater »

I have mine mounted right to the transom and have no problems . When sitting still or moving forward it really doesn't
matter if the door swings out a 1/4 " . Wave action or backing slams it shut. The way Peter did it is beautiful and custom
but not one person who has ever seen my boat said anything about the scuppers . Your choice.
Novi 23 finally launched !

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

I installed better scuppers and added a stainless steel spring to each. I purchased the springs at mrspring.com and used a hacksaw and Dremel to open up the hinge pins on the scuppers. The spring keeps the door from swinging open too wide with the waves at a drift or when backing down. It has also greatly reduced the amount of water on the deck. More importantly it stops the incessant banging of the scupper door in the waves at a drift and driving everyone crazy and scaring away the fish!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice fix PangaRon!! m Happy holidays, Jeff