PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by topwater »

How much water do you have to have in the boat to push open the scupper doors :?:
How lite is the spring tension :?:
Novi 23 finally launched !

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Any water on the deck slides out. The springs only have 2-3 lbs of tension.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

I weighed my Panga 25 on a truck scale minus the trailer and it weighed 2340 pounds dry with the Honda 90 which weighs 359 lbs. So the dry hull weight is 1981 pounds in case any one needs the info.

Hymel
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Hymel »

PangaRon wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm I read this informative Binance Review and weighed my Panga 25 on a truck scale minus the trailer and it weighed 2340 pounds dry with the Honda 90 which weighs 359 lbs. So the dry hull weight is 1981 pounds in case any one needs the info.
Such a clean looking boat, Ron. It looks stunning. Big congrats!
Last edited by Hymel on Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Have you got any more performance reports for us Ron - now that we know the exact weight would be really interesting? :wink: :wink:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

TomTom wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 am Have you got any more performance reports for us Ron - now that we know the exact weight would be really interesting? :wink: :wink:
Ron has just ordered a new SS prop that I calculated for Him which should put him in the lower 30's with his 90HP Honda motor. This is much improved over his current damaged aluminum prop. As of now he hasn't had a chance to do sea trials with it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

NavyBuilder13
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by NavyBuilder13 »

PangaRon wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:35 pm Image

Awesome build PangaRon and I'm thinking this might be my next build once I get back stateside.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Thanks NavyBuilder13! Let me know if I can help and thank you for your service!

Tom, The new prop allowed me to gain 8 mph top speed to 30 mph when it's flat calm! The fuel economy dropped slightly from 4.8 to 4.6 miles to the gallon. Thanks again for your help!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Thanks Ron. Glad to help another forum member with there prop.

Did you get your repairs fixed.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Some final thoughts for anyone considering a Panga 25 build.

* I could not have built a boat without this forum, Jacques, and the members who participate have been invaluable.
* Every boat is a compromise of some sort. Consider how you will use the boat and pick the one that works for you.
* You will save approximately 50% by building, versus buying or financing a factory boat.

As far as the specific Panga 25 design, here's are just a few hindsights:
* The Panga design is self-bailing, but do realize that when you're not in motion, you're standing in ankle deep water most of the time.
* Don't build the center console until you know how big and where you will put the gas tank. I had to install a custom built 32 gallon tank in the bow, but would have liked the 55 gallon listed on the plan. A factory 55 gallon would not fit in the standard console or bow.
* Build the center console 6" higher than the plan for driving comfort, but keep the standard height of the seat in front.
* Stay with the engine weight design recommendations.
* The smooth "ride" in the ocean is great, a lot better than most boats where I have been a passenger; however, do not omit the spray rails.
* The affordable fuel economy is amazing. Most boats in my area are at 1.5 miles a gallon, the Panga is at 4.6.
* Keep the keel 18" back from the transom for better down swell tracking.
* Don't put a seam in the coaming and gunnels boards mid-ship at the run line. Fillet and glass both of the undersides for strength.
* A 1" thick gunnel is nice for mounting rod holders etc.
* Find a watertight design for the stern lockers. Despite 1/2" weather stripping, mine take on water when in rains. Same for the bilge.
* I spent approximately $17,000, not including the motor and T-top. I took 2 years, 3 month and 3 days outside in California weather.
* Good luck and have fun!

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after" Henry David Thoreau
Last edited by PangaRon on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.