GV10 Sept 2018 “Offcuts" Splashed

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GV10 Sept 2018 “Offcuts" Splashed

Post by Jeff »

Fair WX Pilot, just great to see a motor that old still pushing a boat!! I wish they built them like that today!! Jeff

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Well it's spring in New Hampshire and time to start being outside again at last. I had been looking at Offcuts all winter from the comparative warmth of my workshop under its tarp, covered with snow and ice, wondering what state it would be in when I unwrapped it. Thankfully it's none the worse for wear.

I have taken a short break from my dory build due to work and waiting for an order of 6061 to arrive for the leaning post. Before the season gets underway I have to do some needed repairs to my trailer and a couple of upgrades to Offcuts. My first inspection after winter shows no real effects of the cold on any of the structure.

Time to put the boat on the ground so I can work on the trailer.

I brought this trailer late last year, needing something in a hurry to get Offcuts to the water. I paid $200 for it knowing that it was in a bit of a state and had been messed around with by some not so engineering type folk. The owner threw in a new high capacity deep cycle battery he had just brought along with the receipt. I googled it and the battery was indeed priced at $199 so I brought the trailer :D . It had a Jon boat on it so I asked him if he wanted a hand to lift the Jon boat off but he said "no that is included and has to go as well". I now have a Jon boat for sale if anyone wants one :D .

When I got it home I had to replace the bearings as they had been assembled incorrectly with no grease seals or thrust washers. The previous owner did confess that he had cut down the tongue as "it's too long to store in the drive". No kidding, the wheels of my truck were in the water the first time I used it. He had also used 3/8" bolts in all the 1/2" holes. Presumably because they go in easier :? .

I managed to get a piece of 2"x3" 0.210" walled steel box section from a local dealer for $26. Bargain!

This allows me to extend the tongue back to a somewhat normal length.

Clamping the two together in the mill to drill the holes shows just how bent and abused the old one was.

All cut and drilled with a coat of etch primer.

I found some wheel enamel paint that claimed to be very corrosion resistant and good at resisting chips. Time will tell.
Alan.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks very nice! Are you going to leave the tilt feature?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Great stuff. Boat looks great and I love the engineering to make the trailer usable.
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:42 am Looks very nice! Are you going to leave the tilt feature?
Hi, yes I was going to leave it operational. I haven’t ever used a tilt trailer to put a boat in the water but I had one once before like this and that was also great for putting the boat on the lawn etc. Who knows, now I live in New Hampshire I maybe I’ll get a bit more adventurous and explore some more difficult launching locations.
Alan.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Looks like Offcuts made it through the winter just fine. And soon she will have a fancy new ride :D Too short of a trailer tongue just plain sucks you will be happy you took the time to fix it.
Looking forward to the next step with the dory.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

You may want to consider trim tabs see link below.

I added these to my Garvey 13 and made it plane better and did not porpoise after addition. I over powered my boat and that is why they were necessary.

https://boatbuildercentral.com/products ... =Trim+Tabs

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Trim tabs on a GV10, I love it! I'm tempted to run to Amazon now but I'm having other problems that may make this not an option. With the refit I'm installing a Garmin and its opening up a whole can of worms. There's not much real-estate on the transom of a GV10 and its only 3/8" thick. I did install a backing block when I built it for a transducer mount but the trailer bunk falls exactly where I wanted to install it.

I'm now faced with either sanding the inside of the transom to be able to install a new backing block or through bolting the transducer sensor mount with some backing washers and sealant. Any ideas gratefully received. Interestingly the Garmin instructions show just screwing through the transom with sealant and leaving the screws poking through on the inside. Like that's going to happen! :D

Whilst waiting for the last few parts to arrive I picked up some foam to put the floatation under the seats that I didn't have time to do last year.

I'm trying to get this back in the water as the fish are calling. Its supposed to be the "Finished Boats" section, not the "I cant stop tinkering with it" section :D .
Alan.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You could always go with an actual thru-hull transducer. Garmin also makes an in-hull transducer that you just glue into the bilge. I have a cheap Humminbird that mounts that way that has worked well for years but it's a depthsounder only.
Tony