FS17 - The Curse Of The Plytanic!

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17 - The Curse Of The Plytanic!

Post by silentneko »

I didn't want to say anything, lol. That said I thought maybe it is cavitating, maybe I hit something and damaged the prop edge. No, it looks clean still so it's definitely ventilation.

The bow is still running light, I'm going to install the TM and see what happens. I think it will make the ventilation worse. I was considering tabs, but now I'm thinking about a compression plate. It will hold water around the prop, stop sliding, and allow more trim and lower plane speeds. I don't want to drill my new motor, so I came across the Shaw Wing. It's a bolt on plate. Now I'm to cheap to pay $300+ for one, but I can make it for very little.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Is there any adjustment available on the motor to drop it down a bit?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Great job on your boat building project!

Had similar issues with the FS - 19. Dropping the motor down one bolt hole helped with both the sliding and ventilation issue.

I did not install a skeg on the one I built as some sliding in turns is useful around here operating in skinny creeks at low tide. A skeg definitely helps in reducing the sliding, but also adds a small amount of draft.

As Tom points out, slowing down a bit during hard turns helps a lot too.

Pretty typical, that the builder might run into a few little issues as you de-bug everything during your commissioning and early use of the boat. Most new boats require sea trials to work the kinks out.

Congratulations are in order though and best wishes for many years of happy and healthy days ahead with your wonderful boat.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Do you have any pictures of where the motor lines up with the bottom of the boat now? Mainly just curious if I should expect to have the same problem :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

joe2700 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:56 pm Do you have any pictures of where the motor lines up with the bottom of the boat now? Mainly just curious if I should expect to have the same problem :D
No you should not, I have propped several FS17 and there are other FS17's out there that I did not do that do not have this problem. The prop needs to be properly matched to the motor and weight of the boat. I don't know if you put the skeg on your boat but you should have. My very first boat was an FS17 in Crystal River, Fl, many years ago. It had twin bait wells on the stern and a large console, so was over built, he powered it with a 60HP Yamaha and still had a top speed near 40 with the prop I put on his motor. His kids loved tubing.

Let me know it you want me want me to help prop your boat.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

silentneko wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:43 pm I didn't want to say anything, lol. That said I thought maybe it is cavitating, maybe I hit something and damaged the prop edge. No, it looks clean still so it's definitely ventilation.

The bow is still running light, I'm going to install the TM and see what happens. I think it will make the ventilation worse. I was considering tabs, but now I'm thinking about a compression plate. It will hold water around the prop, stop sliding, and allow more trim and lower plane speeds. I don't want to drill my new motor, so I came across the Shaw Wing. It's a bolt on plate. Now I'm to cheap to pay $300+ for one, but I can make it for very little.
Guy you are having more trouble than any one I know that has built a FS17. First what is a TM? Did you put the skeg on your boat? Through all this you have the wrong size aluminum prop on your motor. Reduce the diameter by an inch and increase the pitch by 2", You will get the same speed. Your starting to sound like some one of the guys that spent $2500 before he found the right prop.

The first boat I ever propped was a FS17 in Crystal River, FL and have done several since. Let me help you.

I don't mean any disrespect by any means. Good luck on what ever you do.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Tom, you need to calm down! I haven't spent a dime to sort out an issue that you are making way worse then it is. I expected some ventilation as I built my transom higher, and the motor is mounted a hole up as well. I haven't had my truck this week so I didn't pull it out to take a picture. No it does not have a skeg, as jacques said it wasn't needed on the boat with this size motor, nor do I want the additional draft. Same reason why I'd rather not drop the motor if I can avoid it.

As of this moment the boat runs very well with the stock prop. Hopping easily up on plane and running 37mph at WOT doesn't lead me to believe there is a significant issue. Slowing down on the turns is not a big deal as I'd operate that way most days.

What is a TM? Where have you been, lol. This is a TM: 37lbs of the latest and greatest GPS enabled remote controlled digital anchoring joggable quiet shallow running thrust!
20210513_192858_resized.jpg
That's 37lbs sitting on the nose of my boat, and the reason I didn't make any changes yet. As that would be foolish to start prior to seeing how the boat runs when rigged as it will be used. I'll report back when I run it more.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

silentneko wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:03 pm Tom, you need to calm down! I haven't spent a dime to sort out an issue that you are making way worse then it is. I expected some ventilation as I built my transom higher, and the motor is mounted a hole up as well. I haven't had my truck this week so I didn't pull it out to take a picture. No it does not have a skeg, as jacques said it wasn't needed on the boat with this size motor, nor do I want the additional draft. Same reason why I'd rather not drop the motor if I can avoid it.

As of this moment the boat runs very well with the stock prop. Hopping easily up on plane and running 37mph at WOT doesn't lead me to believe there is a significant issue. Slowing down on the turns is not a big deal as I'd operate that way most days.

What is a TM? Where have you been, lol. This is a TM: 37lbs of the latest and greatest GPS enabled remote controlled digital anchoring joggable quiet shallow running thrust!
20210513_192858_resized.jpg

That's 37lbs sitting on the nose of my boat, and the reason I didn't make any changes yet. As that would be foolish to start prior to seeing how the boat runs when rigged as it will be used. I'll report back when I run it more.
Okay, I will wait to here from you.

Tom

cape man

Post by cape man »

Nice TM! The boat is coming together in an awesome way. Have fun down in Marco.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman