Flyer

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Flyer

Post by peter-curacao »

jacquesmm wrote:That video makes the boat look bad. It may be a weight distribution problem or something wrong with the bottom.
Also, those small stepped hulls prefer to run in flat water.
peter, do a search on youtube and see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zRL12rGbA

Much better but flat water and an enlarged version of that boat.
Thanks, Yes I found that one too but that one is almost 5 feet longer, it looks like the smaller one (the one I thinking of building) can't handle any chop at all, also at 50 % of it's power I think it behaves very strangely, at one point it's almost "vertical" in the water.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

OK here's my impression of the Flyer video. First the boat is going to squat real hard while planing off since the transom is so narrow. Second he never gets on it hard enough during the video to get it up and running on the step. He was basically plowing around the whole time. The one time he got on the throttle a bit it was heading away from the camera. It looks like it ran fine to me for a boat of that size in that kind of water. I bet on smooth water it would get up and running great.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Check out this beauty: http://youtu.be/IHXLfvMKZq4

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jacques for now I'm dreaming between this one and RB 14 plans I bought, started cutting some frame templates for the flyer, till now you explanation for creating the deck curve works great, I'm thinking putting some stringers in there, height from waterline to bottom so I can put a sole in the cockpit , can I do that? also should the stringers be laminated or can it be single ply?

Edit: One other thing if I decide to go for the flyer should/can I start a build thread about it? This because it's not a true bateau.com design

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Do you say that you want to build the Flyer? The inboard?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If it the Flyer, start a new thread.
I will help, if you need help, with some plates development if needed. The Flyer is all double curvature, you may have to do plywood strip planks for most surfaces except the bottom.

Friendly advice about boat choice: pick the boat about which you can be enthusiast. Don't start the RB14 if there is a risk that everyday, you"ll sit there every evening thinking about the Flyer.
You"ll work better and faster.

About help: I wanted to redesign the Flyer and I may do it but I have very little time.
We are putting the finishing touches on a Pacific Dory, a 2x4 boat.
Same for the Tina from Farley Boat works, almost finished.
We are designing an FS13 W = FS13 Wide and it will probably be a 14 but that one will be a kit, need one more week on that one.
Plus we have some new kits coming out like the AB23.
It's busy here but I can develop the surfaces of the Flyer on the week-end and at night. The problem is that in oder to develop surfaces, I have to loft the hull and my final line may not match yours.
Did you already loft the boat or are you just working from the offsets?

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Thanks Jacques,

I'm thinking to start to build one of them.
Since I like boat :lol: boats I think I will work with pleasure on both designs.
I'm working from the offsets I did not do any lofting, I was thinking building setup and lining the frames with stringers and then plank the hull as I go, I'm better with the things visual in front of me. (talking about the Flyer now)

JaTro
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JaTro »

Hello to all.
I incidentally found this thread and had to register.

Jaques, whats the status of Crandall Flyer project?
Will you prepare DXF data to offer, i didnt saw plans for Flyer on site yet.
I am looking at Flyer really long and as i will soon move to house with proper space,
i am definitally ready to start this autumn. Probably even without NC data but i will prefer them.
If there will be DXF for building rig, even better:-)
I want to use 3 valve 2 stroke 1 l vintage engine with marine reverse tranny (together under 100 kg cca 60 hp), double circuit cooling, mahogany or oak marine plywood for frames, black locust or oak for longitudals, ash for battens, oak plywood for bottom, pine marine plywood for sides and deck both covered with veneer. No foam please. Do you think it Is that good plan?
When discussing subject on other forum, i was adviced to go rather with Glen-L, but as CrackerBox is also rather obsolete design and i feel enthusiastic about Flyer, i definitely will go this way. Intended use inland rivers and lakes only.

Have a nice day all,
Jakub

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jakub, it would be great if you and Jacques can get this project off the ground and flying. This boat oozes raffish romance. And Peter Curacao, one of the master boat builders on this forum who is generous with his knowledge, has done his homework on the Flyer. Good luck!
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It is definitely on my list but nothing will happen before the summer.
I will be able to announce some new projects after May 1st and in June, I will focus much more on design.
The re-design of some of those classic plans is high on my list.