Flyer

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Flyer

Post by Jaysen »

peter-curacao wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:Whatever floats your boat 8) It does nothing for me personally. I wouldn't have any use at all for that boat, but I'm sure somebody would. It's a pretty toy. I want my boats to work. That's why they make all kinds of boats and all kinds of people 8)
I like to build it to sell, I was hoping it attracts international (ebay) buyers , honestly I don't think I can use it here either, just a test run that's it, but after visiting lake Ontario I can imagine a boat like this can be a blast in this area?
I used to live by the lake.... It would be a "toy" for anyone up there. You can't really boat but 5 months a year unless you are really into being cold. And the weather is very unpredictable. The lake can get quite rough with 2-3' swells not uncommon. There is a lot of $$ spent on sillier things up there though.

I could see that as a fast "commuter" for island or shore living. Hop in that and scoot down a river to the office. I don't think it would get me over to Savannah but it sure would make Hilton Head a short trip. And if it looks that good... who needs a Porsche?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, it's a little bit like our RB18 or JA18:
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=RB18

It's fun as a picnic boat, to go to a waterfront restaurant on the week-end but that's all. Still, it is a pleasure to look at the boat, to build her.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Both boats have lots of potential for wow. The RB looks more stable though, but I don't know exactly what the hull looks like below on the Flyer. One of the joys of building your own boat (non-professionally) is making it very close if not exactly like what you envision. :) Within reason.... :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Profiles can be seen better in the PDF (in post 1), pages labeled 31 and 32. Looks to be the equivalent of Jaguar race car. Say a 1955 D-Type Le Mans. May not be the most practical, but man o man that would turns some heads ....
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Thank you Jaysen. I just dl'd the pdf. :)

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Not wanna be pushy but I think my question got lost in the comments, so here's a bump 8)
peter-curacao wrote:
jacquesmm wrote:I suggest an improvement: feed air to the step with a cut in the side. Without that, it will cavitate, too much negative P at the step.
Can you explain that a little more? I think it's more or less the same what the guys who are building tunnels in their hulls try to achieve or not? :doh: Should I put 2 holes (port and star) in the step under need the waterline and feed it air with hoses above the waterline? I tried to illustrate it in the pic at frame 9
Cracker Larry wrote:I wouldn't build it for labor alone for less than 30K. Plus materials. Lot of materials involved there to do it right.
The way I look at it: it's just a big piggy bank, loads of fun to fill, and hopefully I get out as much as I put in filling it :wink:

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

So this boat is a step hydro, popular before 3pt hydroplanes and tunnel hulls came about. A bunch of the water speed record boats from the 20s and 30s were built this way. Maybe you can find some videos on Youtube of how they run. With enough power I think it would run up on the step and not need ventilation, as it will skip along and can pull in air from the sides.

Some might think its sacrilege but a modern aluminum automotive 4cyl would perform great. Or even one of the new small 3cyl: http://jalopnik.com/why-fords-tiny-1-li ... 1543662936

There is a following for these types of hulls, and there is a big show in Mt. Dora & Tavares, FL every year where they are shown and sold: http://www.acbs-sunnyland.org/index.php ... 8-22-32-30 . I would think an original or restored historic boat would go for more than a modern reproduction, but it is just about finding the right guy with money who loves what you built.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Peter, I'll look at the lines tomorrow early.
My new drafter is out of the office today.
(It's my son, he surprised me with taking a drafting course and getting a diploma last year, he is really good with Rhino).

He has the Flyer in his files but did not work much on it: he is finishing the lofting of Atkin's Shoreliner for one of our builders.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Matt Gent wrote:Maybe you can find some videos on Youtube of how they run. With enough power I think it would run up on the step and not need ventilation,
Hi Matt thx for that suggestion found a clip of the boat (pic) I posted earlier which also is the same boat as the free flyer plans I belive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FskmJM935Y, this clip really make me rethinking of building this boat.

Quote in the comment section
Engine in the video is a V.P AQ175 3,8L V-6. It only gave about 50% power, and managed 3000rpm. this due to a faulty carb.
Is it me, am I missing something or is this just a crappy unbalanced running boat? :doh:
jacquesmm wrote:Peter, I'll look at the lines tomorrow early.
Thanks. Jacques 8)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That video makes the boat look bad. It may be a weight distribution problem or something wrong with the bottom.
Also, those small stepped hulls prefer to run in flat water.
peter, do a search on youtube and see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zRL12rGbA

Much better but flat water and an enlarged version of that boat.