Cheap Canoe Kit

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Cheap Canoe Kit

Post by OrangeQuest »

So you have the basics by reading and you want to take the plunge into trying to build one for yourself? Any of the 3 plans you bought the boat you would like to build? Why not that one?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

wseibert
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wseibert »

Because I'd rather learn to build and fiberglass on a two plywood canoe than one I'm going to hang a 40hp motor on.

I mean, that's what they recommend doing anyway, right?

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

wseibert wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 pm The plans just say, "Fiberglass Tape. 9oz. 4" width. 50 yrds"
I think most of the confusion stems from the fact that when many, if not most of the small boat plans here were created, the 6oz biaxial tape that is now recommended for many of them was not generally available. So the plans and instructions specified the 9oz woven tape, which was available and adequate, though not ideal. Over the years some of the files have been updated to specify 6oz biaxial tape, and others have not. Furthermore, some builders may not be able to get the 6oz in their locations anyway. It can be pretty confusing until you read enough old threads to figure out the history.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Jeff wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm wseibert, not sure what that reference was as we have not had a kit with those items in three years. Again, not familiar with a 55 page manual either but Jacques did have a Stitch & Glue Boat Building Guide. Let me know if you want it and send me your email and I will email it to you. Happy to put together a kit, just let me know what you want to build!! Jeff

Jeff, I think they are just looking for direction on what type of tape to buy. If the plans were written a long time ago what JM spec'd out might not be what he would call for now. For example as wseibert wrote the study plans call for 9oz 4" wide. Maybe now JM would spec 12oz biax 6" wide since it's readily available.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I suspect you will have a hard time beating the price of plywood+shipping from BBC here with anything you have local without shipping.

If you know you plan on a bigger boat as well, you could do what I did and order supplies for the canoe and bigger boat together, the larger order helps to greatly negate the cost of shipping.

Woodenyouknowit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woodenyouknowit »

That's a cool pirogue, looks like fun to build for a trip down the Escatalpa river! I know okume is a certified marine plywood, but if you want to emphasize the 'cheap' part, I'd go to Lowes and buy a couple sheets of sandiply. Or drive over to new orleans to get some high end hardwood plywood. I've built kayaks and canoes and a dingy and didnt use marine plywood. Just use epoxy/fiberglass all over to keep it watertight and don't get too close to the mobile bay ship channel :lol:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

9 oz. 4" wide or 6 oz. biaxial 5 or 6" wide are each valid.
When I designed the boat, 6 oz. biaxial tape did not exist. When it became available, I suggested to use it wherever I specified the 9 oz. tape because it is stronger, lighter and easier to shape.
Use which ever one you have, it does not make a big difference.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com