Free canoe square stern, first build

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
BayouMedic
New Poster
New Poster

Free canoe square stern, first build

Post by BayouMedic »

Just curious if there are free plans available for a square stern canoe. Looking to build a 14-16 ft version. May just go with the Swift Canoe 16. Also, would it be easier to build a flat bottom boat as my first boat as opposed to a canoe? Looking to build something big enough for the wife, coming-daughter, and me to enjoy on the water. Eventually would like to build a bigger boat but want something simple for now.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Free canoe square stern, first build

Post by gstanfield »

The cost of the plans is small compared to the overall cost of building a boat so pick a design you like and enjoy the quality of the plans as opposed to the lack of detail in free plans.

As for putting a square stern on something like the CC14, don't even consider it. I've built the slightly larger NC16 and while it's good for a flat bottom canoe, it's nothing I would consider mounting an outboard to, not even my 2HP Honda or even my 40lb thrust trolling motor.

For a simple to build small boat that would be great with a small family take a look at the FL12 or FL14. I'm building my second FL14 at the moment and it's a fine design, but for two adults and a kid the FL12 would be a bit easier to handle and still plenty large enough. Kids like to crawl around and having something a bit larger than a canoe is nice. Our kids were problematic in a canoe when they were tiny, but did great in the FL14. Once they got bigger they started enjoying canoes more.

Congrats on the soon to be child and welcome to the forum.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

BayouMedic
New Poster
New Poster

Post by BayouMedic »

If I go with the FL14 I’m assuming it’ll be easy to add a trolling motor to? Do you have a link to your boat build?

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

BayouMedic wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:02 pm ...Do you have a link to your boat build?
George's Wyoming FL-14
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

That link was the first one and photobucket killed most of the pics and the boat had a bad fate. I learned from my mistakes, number two is here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=65311
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)