"I wish I had..."

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: "I wish I had..."

Post by terrulian »

After some consideration, I've decided that I've got no regrets about the design I chose, the level of finish I labored over, the color, or even the use of the boat. When I started building I wasn't sure what level of perfection I'd shoot for, or if I'd actually go rowing very often or whether I would like it; I just wanted to do the build. But it has in fact opened up a whole new way of exploring the area I live in, which I had pretty thoroughly familiarized myself with by foot, car, bicycle, sailboat, and power boat. Now I've been a bunch of places that very few people have laid eyes on, all right in my own back yard. I did make some mistakes and had to do certain things--mostly fairing and painting--infinitely more slowly, tediously, and repetitively than if I'd known what I was doing. I chose a modest one-part paint instead of the higher end paints a lot of you prefer. But as I envisaged, the boat has taken a bit of a beating and has some dings and scratches that are more or less impossible to avoid in a seagoing vessel. But after all that frustrating sanding, it was still bittersweet when I moved the boat out of the shop and could no longer just step outside a few steps to enjoy it. I wish the boat were lighter but I've discussed this elsewhere and if I built it again, it would be just as heavy.
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

terrulian wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 am After some consideration, I've decided that I've got no regrets about the design I chose, the level of finish I labored over, the color, or even the use of the boat. When I started building I wasn't sure what level of perfection I'd shoot for, or if I'd actually go rowing very often or whether I would like it; I just wanted to do the build. But it has in fact opened up a whole new way of exploring the area I live in, which I had pretty thoroughly familiarized myself with by foot, car, bicycle, sailboat, and power boat. Now I've been a bunch of places that very few people have laid eyes on, all right in my own back yard. I did make some mistakes and had to do certain things--mostly fairing and painting--infinitely more slowly, tediously, and repetitively than if I'd known what I was doing. I chose a modest one-part paint instead of the higher end paints a lot of you prefer. But as I envisaged, the boat has taken a bit of a beating and has some dings and scratches that are more or less impossible to avoid in a seagoing vessel. But after all that frustrating sanding, it was still bittersweet when I moved the boat out of the shop and could no longer just step outside a few steps to enjoy it. I wish the boat were lighter but I've discussed this elsewhere and if I built it again, it would be just as heavy.
Here is a man who built a boat, enjoyed the process, and is now using the boat in more ways than he had envisioned. It just does not get any better than that :D

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

I wish I had not bought the LM18 from Mc_Fly. I really wanted to build the C17 (Classic 17). But building another boat is just fun no matter what best layed plan was not followed!

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Sorry, I’ve got nothing for you. I have no regrets about any aspect of my boat.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I wish I had build my bait well the same way Silentneko built his. I did mine backwards.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

One more, well 2.
I wish I had started the GF16 earlier this year like around March or April to have had a bit more time or (alternatively) 2; got off my butt and got the sub panel installed in the garage at the start of fall......
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I wish i hadn’t sold my GV15 :cry: . I also wish I bought a house with a garage! I’m ready to start building again :help:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

wegcagle wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 am I wish i hadn’t sold my GV15 :cry: . I also wish I bought a house with a garage! I’m ready to start building again :help:

Will
I bet you do, that was one fine looking boat! It would make me crazy if I did not have a place to work :help:

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

topwater wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:53 am Paid an auto body person to fair my hull :!: I had one come look at it and give me a price,
i could have paid him with the money i would have saved in wasted fairing and sandpaper and time :wink:
:lol:

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Bought a bigger car so I could've built a bigger sailboat (VG18) :lol: