Air compressor system for DA sander and other tools

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Air compressor system for DA sander and other tools

Post by Capt UB »

Looking for some help with buying a air compressor system for basic DA sanding and other air tools.

I have read a lot, but so many different systems out there. I do not have a shop, just a carport and small storeroom.

A portable would be easier to store. Power is not a problem, 120/240 volts single phase.

So for what we do here, boat building.... DA sander, paint gun/sprayer and …

Numbers would be great, gals, hp and psi.

Thanks Guys,
Bob

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Air compressor system for DA sander and other tools

Post by Netpackrat »

I doubt if you will be happy with the performance of any air sander used with a portable compressor. It would probably be better to use an electric sander; air sanders (like most continuous use air tools) require a lot of air.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:09 pm I doubt if you will be happy with the performance of any air sander used with a portable compressor. It would probably be better to use an electric sander; air sanders (like most continuous use air tools) require a lot of air.

I have a Craftsman Pro 27 gallon vertical air compressor rated at 7.2 cfm @40psi and 5.8 cfm @90psi. It's barely adequate to run my impact guns. Most decent air sanders are going to use more than 10 cfm, which mine, let alone a portable, will not run.

For running air tools it's all about the cfm's and how much it can supply at different pressures. Now HVLP would work with my main compressor but not with my secondary portable air compressor. It's also a craftsman pancake style (portable) but it's only really good for air nailers. HVLP are anywhere from 3-6 cfm usage while most portables are good for 2.5-3.0 cfm.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah my idea of an air compressor is maybe a little different from that of most people....

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Another factor to consider is that an air sander can potentially put oil and water from the air system onto your work. Air tools need lubrication to survive, but it has to go somewhere. Not a concern with an electric sander.

Edit to add; the smaller the compressor, the more difficult it is to get keep the water from reaching the tool. A big compressor like mine, will normally by plumbed into metal hard lines for distribution through the shop. The metal lines will help to cool the air as it leaves the compressor and the water can condense out, then you incorporate water traps where it can collect and be drained out. The piping system also makes it easier to add larger and better coalescing filters just prior to the point of use.

I have tried to do small sandblasting jobs using my portable... Aside from the lack of volume and needing to wait for the compressor to catch up, it isn't practical because you can't realistically dry the air enough.

For painting, if you really want to keep your air system from contaminating your surface, use an HVLP turbine system.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Here is a fairly big compressor and tank. Note the volume of air it can deliver at a said PSI.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools ... 61489.html

Here is a sander, again note how much air it needs at what psi.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools ... 60628.html

That compressor can not deliver enough volume of air to use the sander without waiting from time to time to build volume back up.
The size of the tank is how much air you have but if you use it up faster than the compressor can replace it then the compressor at some point just runs all the time.

When I was a Shop Foreman at a car dealer we ran 3 twin piston compressors that supplied four 200 gallon tanks. The shop would run out of air supply regularly so the mechanics would bypass the pressure switch so the compressors would run continuously. They stop work for lunch and leave them running. A few times I came back from lunch to the high pitched sound of the safety valves popping off and venting. The compressors could put out more than the safety valves could vent so a few times the pressure gauge would be way pass the max pressure of 200 PSI the tanks were rated for.

Not to many times of that little excitement that the 3 were replaced with 2 spiral vein compressors and a pre-chiller that removed water from the air before it was compressed. They disconnected one of the 200 gallon tanks and we never ran out of air again.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, I basically grew up in a tire shop with an attached autobody shop, so I got used to having unlimited amounts of compressed air available. The one I have now is a distinct step down from what we had in the shop, but it will still more than keep up with my pressure sandblaster, and is rated for a 100% duty cycle. I don't recall the specs off the top of my head, but it was the biggest Husky that Home Depot had at the time. Ran it off the same circuit as my welder in the old house; still haven't gotten the new house wired for 220. :cry: Have discovered that my 6500 watt genset will just barely start it but only when the pressure is zero. Once it shuts off and tries to start up with pressure in the tank, the generator just doesn't have the balls. Getting the wiring done is one of the projects for this year.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bottom line Capt UB you want a air pump that can deliver more CFM @ the correct PSI as the most air hunger tool you will be using. Compressors have a pressure switch that controls how much air pressure to cut off at and they will kick back on when the pressure drops to low. Most air tools need min 90PSI so you want a air delivery system that supplies more that that so the air supply stays above the min. You regulate the pressure going to your tools to 90 so you have a constant supply of air pressure of 90PSI. The compressor runs between say, 100-125 psi. A big storage tank will hold more compressed air so the compressor doesn't run every time you use air for a few seconds. If you use more air than your compressor can supply then the compressor kicks in at 100 PSI but it continues to drop pressure till you are below the regulated 90 PSI and the tools starts slowing down more and more or stops working all together. So you have to stop using the tools while the compressor recharges the tank. Air tools for sanding and painting need to be regulated so you get and keep consistent results.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Thanks all ..

I will not be buying an air system.....

Going to buy a new real and some flys.

https://www.newsmyrnaoutfitters.com/#/

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Capt UB wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:12 am Thanks all ..

I will not be buying an air system.....

Going to buy a new real and some flys.

https://www.newsmyrnaoutfitters.com/#/
Now you got your priorities right!! :lol: :lol:
A. A. Milne