What's the best platform to build small boats on?

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Nnimrod
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

What's the best platform to build small boats on?

Post by Nnimrod »

I'm sure it could be done on the floor, but there's got to be something better. I started building an cheap 16x4' assembly table out of scrap 2x4s and OSB, but it occurs to me now that a 4' wide table isn't going to be very easy to work on. I'm making a 14' canoe and I'd have to reach over the edge of the table to do anything since the canoe is a lot narrower than the table. Maybe just two sawhorses and a narrower top sitting on them? Like 20" or so?

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: What's the best platform to build small boats on?

Post by Netpackrat »

I used sawhorses but was building. much shorter boat. I also cheated and used a jig made from a couple 2x6s to make sure all the frames were held in their exact positions until I had the sides and frames temporarily fastened together with ties and screws. Once that was done, I took it off the jig and just used the sawhorses while I attached the bottom and for the epoxy work.

I know you are supposed to be able to build the smaller boats without any jig at all, but I found it difficult to get the frames positioned without it. Took me about a half hour to build; I definitely spent more time scratching my head trying to figure out how to accurately assemble it without a jig than I did building the jig.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

My strong back for my FS14 build, saw horses and 2x6's.
05.jpg
Strong back for my LM18 build.
0111191604~2.jpg

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

For a canoe something like Captain UB’s strongbacks will do perfectly.

I’m building an MF14 that has a 48” beam, so my “work table” is 15’ x the full 48” wide. Yes, reaching into the middle is a PITA. I have to get up on a stepladder so I can bend over and reach down into the middle of the boat. You don’t want to build your platform any wider than it needs to be.

When you build the strongback you want to make sure the 2x4’s you’re using are straight. Mine weren’t so I had to spend some time shimming the plywood that went on top of them before I could start building.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Do not make it too tall.....

IMG958325~2.jpg
IMG958331~2.jpg
I'm on a step ladder.....

Nnimrod
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nnimrod »

Thanks I think I'll abort the table idea and go with something sitting on sawhorses.

Typhoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Typhoon »

Left over sheet of 19mm ply (6x4ft) screwed onto a couple of cheapo sawhorses I had for my SG15.
Yes, 4ft is too wide to lean across, but the boats in this size are so light, you just slide them around on the work surface. Using ply also allows you to temporarily nail or screw panels off when working edges etc. Having the 4ft width lets you have the boat on there, and have room to work panels on the other side.
When I was gluing up longer panels, I just supported the hanging ends with whatever was handy, one end rested on the air compressor, the other end on one of my roll around tool box drawes pulled out:
IMG_4125.JPG