The “Must haves” list

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: The “Must haves” list

Post by Capt UB »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:15 pm
Capt UB wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:35 pmBritish Racing Green.... someday!
There’s not actually any such shade.... Back in the day, it was decided that different nationalities’ racing cars would have specific colors (and the stripe would often denote the nationality of the driver). Red for Italy, white for the USA, silver for Germany, and green for Britain. What you consider to be a “correct” BRG will differ whether you are a fan of Jaguar, Aston Martin, Lotus, etc. But there was never a specific shade called British Racing Green.

FWIW.

http://www.ovtc.net/tr6-colours.html

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/3.php?s ... &s_ht=1080

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:53 am Jaysen, great post.
I like working on boats and cars but have avoided considering the economics of either. You can't start thinking that way if you want to be a sailor or a wrench monkey. [Oddly, I just looked that phrase up in the urban dictionary and it says that wrench monkey is a term limited to guys working on muscle cars. I don't think so.]
B.O.A.T. -- Break Out Another Thousand

Wrench monkey was originally a derogatory for gasser mechs... they were cromagna/neanderthal leftovers... unibrows... all hammer no finesse. Now it more a general term for anyone that actually likes working on cars. Granted these days "working on car" means sitting at a computer terminal or washing or doing bolt on changes. Very few cars can really be serviced by the home wrench like they used to. Too much computer involvement.

EX: Apparently my Volt didn't like the brakes i put on. Would not start. Chevy supplied the all, but the ECU has a magic reset. Luckily the neighbor is a wrench at the dealer and did me a solid. Compare that to the field repair on a the jeep where you can shove a stick in the caliper and... you stop. MadGe is even more forgiving. I may have used a bit of wire from a fishing rig (anti shark cut off) to connect the throttle cable to the carb more than once. I haven't had to to the pantyhose alternator belt yet. I'm assuming that is next on my list of mishapps to have.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Makes sense that it would be a Triumph specific thing. When you think of the British cars that were actually winning races in the heyday of sports car racing, most of them were lighter shades of green. Thanks for the info.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:17 am
terrulian wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:53 am Jaysen, great post.
I like working on boats and cars but have avoided considering the economics of either. You can't start thinking that way if you want to be a sailor or a wrench monkey. [Oddly, I just looked that phrase up in the urban dictionary and it says that wrench monkey is a term limited to guys working on muscle cars. I don't think so.]
B.O.A.T. -- Break Out Another Thousand

Wrench monkey was originally a derogatory for gasser mechs... they were cromagna/neanderthal leftovers... unibrows... all hammer no finesse. Now it more a general term for anyone that actually likes working on cars. Granted these days "working on car" means sitting at a computer terminal or washing or doing bolt on changes. Very few cars can really be serviced by the home wrench like they used to. Too much computer involvement.

EX: Apparently my Volt didn't like the brakes i put on. Would not start. Chevy supplied the all, but the ECU has a magic reset. Luckily the neighbor is a wrench at the dealer and did me a solid. Compare that to the field repair on a the jeep where you can shove a stick in the caliper and... you stop. MadGe is even more forgiving. I may have used a bit of wire from a fishing rig (anti shark cut off) to connect the throttle cable to the carb more than once. I haven't had to to the pantyhose alternator belt yet. I'm assuming that is next on my list of mishapps to have.

Never heard of Wrench Monkey I have heard of Grease Monkey. Might be a regional thing....
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

piperdown wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:47 pm Never heard of Wrench Monkey I have heard of Grease Monkey. Might be a regional thing....
Might be. GM was a general auto-mechanic in my neck of the woods. WM were gorillas with cars they built.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.