Sailmakers

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sailmakers

Post by gk108 »

They make the same sails for many sailmakers and put whatever patch you like on it.
I sort of wondered why my Sails East sail has so many of the same characteristics as a North Sail in the same size range. Right down to the cheap little clamcleat for the leech line that doesn't last more than a season. :x

To me, there is a difference between the sailmaking factories and an actual sailmaker with a traditional style loft. The factories can put out a bunch of identical sails that work well with a bunch of identical production boats. As builders of one-off type boats, we don't need the repetitive accuracy, we just need the sail that fits our boat.

Louis, if you can deal with the shipping complications on your end, I recommend Sailrite. They are bigger than your average sailmakers loft, but my experience with them indicates that every sail is a custom job as far as they are concerned. Good luck. 8)
CC, D15, V10

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Our sails are made in the US, in Florida. That same loft cuts sails for SailRite.
If you get a Sailrite kit, it will be made directly from our plans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

I bought the sails for my CK17 from this site. I'm very impressed with them. No regrets at all.

Paul
V12, FL12, CK17, FS14
Build em' right, build em' light :D

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks all for the inputs. My intention was to find sailmakers anywhere in the world though I do have a preference for the U.S. because I've had good experiences and it is relatively easy for me. I do have an open mind for others though. There is one sailmaker here, Hyde, from whom I got my CR13 sails and am very happy with. To be honest, I'll probably get the SB18 sails from them. I'm just being a diligent consumer with my inquiry.

Yes, JM I do have Sailmaker's Apprentice and I agree 100% the book is great if only to appreciate what goes into designing and making a good sail. In fact, I, with the help of the more inclined members of our local group, use the book to make polytarp sails for our CR13. We used three "pleats" perpendicular to the leech to shape it, and cut tabs to reinforce the edges. Oh by the way, pleats are better IMHO than v-darts but do involve a little more sewing. The sails worked sufficiently well, and took me safely through some pretty strong winds. I still have them for loan to whoever builds the next CR13.

Despite my small success at amateur sail making, I eventually decided to get from a professional. It was rather a big decision since professionally made sails push my total cost up maybe 20%. I decided to because I realized they would provide a "studier" foundation on which to learn sailing. Homebuilt sails add more to think about while learning to sail. I of course also wanted a better "edge" in our races. That "edge" is however gone now since the two other CR13s here bought exactly the same sails, calling Hyde and saying "I'd like to buy CR13 sails EXACTLY like louis'". Just as well, as we can now race "one design".

From another angle though, I really wish sail designers would sell plans just like you guys do. Constructing a sail is IMHO within the reach of the amateur, designing one is however a good measure further. I think it would help get more people into boat building and sailing.

Thanks again.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Hyde has a great reputation, even way over here. Good stuff!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

lncc63 wrote:My intention was to find sailmakers anywhere in the world
Have to be a little chauvinistic now :P but the Netherlands also has some great sailmakers Gaastra sails for example 8)

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks Peter for the recommendation. They're now on my list.

I'm still a few month's off from buying my sails so other recommendations are still most welcome.

brucewayne
New Poster
New Poster

Post by brucewayne »

Definitely, as I know fareastsails is one among the best sail makers. They are experts in customized sail making. They offer sails at affordable prices, and their shipping service was awesome.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I'll put in a plug for Island Planet Sails. They use China Sail Factory to build their sails but what you get in terms of service and quality of the finished product is excellent. Had a new mainsail shipped to us in Fiji and it was painless. Top quality hardware. They use Goretex thread which doesn't rot in the sun. Super hard to sew but lasts forever. Sailmakers hate to use it because it's so slippery - and no repairs from sun rotted stitching.

A good friend of mine (you used to design sails for America's Cup boats and Volvo RTW racing boats) now works as one of their salesmen. He's currently in PNG right now and out of regular email range but if you contact me privately if you need contact details
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Michaelz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michaelz »

Might want to call Mack Sails in Ft. Lauderdale. They seem to have the specs on most of Bateau2's designs and are priced less than the sail prices on this website. I got mine there for my CK17 last year after seeing thet buily the sails for Paul Piercy's CK17 almost a decade ago. Shaped well and good quality.