Sailmakers

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Sailmakers

Post by lncc63 »

Do you have a list of recommened sailmakers?

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Sailmakers

Post by TomW »

Innc there are sail makers all over the world. Look around where you sail and find a good looking set and ask that person where he got his. You can tell a well cut set from a poorly cut set just by looking. Don't the sail dimensions come in the plans.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks Tom. Yup the dimensions come with the plans. I do have a sailmaker but being kind of new and there being so many I thought it would be good to ask.

sngatlanta
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sngatlanta »

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

First off, sailmaking is mostly made in the 3rd world these days (Google "China Sail Factory"). They make the same sails for many sailmakers and put whatever patch you like on it. But there are still local sailmakers in some parts of the world, and they often are pretty good if they are still around. Ask around your city (ask the racers) who makes good sails.

Always get competitve quotes on similar materials (for a SB18 likely dacron unless you are serious racer). Dacron comes in many weaves and strengths. Talk to the sailmaker about your intended use for the boat. The more information, the better sail they can make. The best ones will come and measure your boat personally. Always wise with a custom boat.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Actually, its strange that I never thought of getting them from China though I wouldn't call a 5000 (or is it 3000) year old civilization "third world". I did the google and got quite a few leads. Thanks Evan.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I wouldn't call China 3rd world any more either - but there are lots of sails made in Vietnam, Sri Lanka, and anywhere labour is cheap on a given day.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wouldn't call a 5000 (or is it 3000) year old civilization "third world".
I would, but I'm not of a politically correct nature. I could name many other civilations older than that, still 3rd. world. Barely 4th world. What does age have to do with it?
I wouldn't call China 3rd world any more either
I would. You both would, if you lived there as a 10 year old girl working 18 hours a day in a sail making factory. Or the father of the 10 year old girl. But don't worry, they'll own us soon enough, if they don't already, and your daughter can work there too, no matter if you like it or not. I'd rather pay a few more $ for my sails and not use child slave labor to make them. We've got some good sailmakers right here in the USA, old enough to legally work and the profits go towards democracy. Excuse my politics. Or not.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Larry, I could not have said it any better :!: Yea what you said.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

lncc63 is in the Philippines. There should be sailmakers there.
I would follow Evan's advice: sailmaking is an art. The type of sail depends very much on your type of sailing, area and expectations.
A cruising sail is different from a racing sail and different from a Sunday afternoon daysailing sail.
Talk to an experienced local sailmaker, he will tell you what type of sail you need.

Here in the US, we have excellent sail makers that are competitive with chinese sails or sails from poor countries.
Like many, I prefer not to send any $ to places like Myanmar.

For lncc63.
If there is no local sailmakers, you can try to find a local canvas shop and work with them.
You are an enterprising builder and you may like the process.
Start with the book "Sailmaker's Apprentice":
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=INT244

It is worth 10 times its price. With that book, you can guide your canvas shop. He will like the idea of expanding his expertise and you will have new sails at a low price.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com