CK 17 knock down question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
joe schena
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CK 17 knock down question

Post by joe schena »

I intentionally tipped the boat over while on the moring. I have a combination of sealed compartments and foam floation in the boat. I stuffed foam pool toy "noodles' down the masts--one in each. As a result, the boat floated on it's side very high in the water. The mast tips settled about 6 inches under water. The daggar board was a full foot or even more above the water. :o :o The made it difficult to get up onto it. Once I did, I stepped out about a foot from the hull and with a push from my wife on the main mast tip the boat came back upright. Once up right there was about 2 inches of water in the foot wells and the 4 remaining open under seat compartments (i've closed off 4 of them and installed inspection ports).

Is this boat floating too high in the water while on it's side? My concern is that in any kind of rough weather it might be hard to get up on to the daggar board. Maybe a rope boarding ladder might help. Any thoughts? :doh:

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CK 17 knock down question

Post by sitandfish »

joe schena wrote:... Any thoughts? :doh:
Many small boat float high and 6" of mast dip doesn't sound excessive to me. Pool noodles in the mast was smart.

Sailboats have lots of lines. Use one that is attached close to the middle and throw it over towards the dagger. Or tie one amidship and throw it over. Swim around to the dagger side and grab that line. Plant both feet on the bottom of the boat and start pulling the line. The big effort is just to get the mast clear of the water and then just keep pulling steadily til she is righted.

If you are athletic you can reach up for the dagger board, when it's close enough, and scramble up on it and over the side as the boat is righting. If there is someone with you, you can have them on the mast side and they can roll into the cockpit as the boat is righting and then they can help you into the boat once it's righted. If you have trouble getting over the sides then a rope ladder could certainly help.

Just my thoughts. Many other ways to do it. YouTube has some examples. And of course take care with all the other precautions. Make sure lines are not tangled or sheets are cleated. Don't get under the sails and check that your sailing mates are all clear of lines and sails immediately upon capsizing. Etc... (practice, practice, practice).

I don't see any pictures of you boat anymore. Would love to see it. :wink:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Many small boat float high and 6" of mast dip doesn't sound excessive to me. Pool noodles in the mast was smart.

Sailboats have lots of lines. Use one that is attached close to the middle and throw it over towards the dagger. Or tie one amidship and throw it over. Swim around to the dagger side and grab that line. Plant both feet on the bottom of the boat and start pulling the line. The big effort is just to get the mast clear of the water and then just keep pulling steadily til she is righted.
Exactly :wink: Very good advice there. With one exception which I think is a mis-type...no, now that I read it again I think I just mis-understood it :lol:
Make sure lines are not tangled or sheets are cleated.
Just to be clear, make sure the sheets are NOT cleated. I think that's what Mark was saying. If they are, when you right the boat it will slam dunk you on the other side, or maybe sail off without you. One more thing, point the bow into the wind before righting, this also helps to avoid the slam dunk scenario, and keeps the boat from sailing off without you.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

joe schena
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe schena »

Thanks, I'll put some thought into what lines can be used for righting. being coated from head to toe in SPF 50 doesn't help matters. it made trying to push myself up onto the daggar board like trying to grab a greased pig :D

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

joe schena wrote:...being coated from head to toe in SPF 50 doesn't help matters. it made trying to push myself up onto the daggar board like trying to grab a greased pig :D
Sailing gloves would help... a lot! I wouldn't go out in rough conditions without them. And usually wore them in calm conditions, too. Great picture of your boat. Dogs need protection from the sun, too. :wink:

Larry, I wrote that sentence a couple different ways and it still sounded ambiguous. I knew we would get there, though. You DON'T want the boat to sail away while you are in the water. :wink:

joe schena
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe schena »

Thanks guys. We have been sailing it alot lately and learning it's minor quirks, like not liking to tack in light air. We just make a couple of strokes with the paddle to help get it around. I've still yet to sail it as a schooner, although i rigged it as a schooner this afternoon. We sailed last weekend 3 times. Once making up a 200 meter wide channel against the wind. . . .

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

joe schena wrote:Thanks, I'll put some thought into what lines can be used for righting. being coated from head to toe in SPF 50 doesn't help matters. it made trying to push myself up onto the daggar board like trying to grab a greased pig :D

Looking good Joe! I know what you mean by "trying to grab a greased pig. I had the same experience when righting my CK17. Larger waves will help get you up onto the dagger board. However I have had a wave wash me off of the dagger board 8O .
Paul
V12, CK17, FL12, FS14
Build em' right, build em' light.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=10167

joe schena
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe schena »

Hi Paul,

Have you sailed your CK as a schooner yet? Does it improve the balance of the boat in light air? My concern is starting out as a schooner and then having the wind pick up and having to swap mast positions on the water. It seems to me that its easier to use an oar to assist tacking in light air. I know it's not a very elegant solution, then again, I'm not much of a purist :P

Joe

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

Hi Joe,

I did sail the boat as a schooner once. The cat rig is more efficient than the schooner rig. With the cat rig you get undisturbed air over the largest sail. However, If you are sailing as a schooner and the wind picks up you can always just reef the aft sail.

I don't have any problem tacking in light air. If there is almost no wind and the boat starts coming to a stop during the tack I just pump the tiller and propel the boat though the tack. I can make at least half a knot speed by pumping the tiller and using the rudder as a scull.

In light air I have rowed with the sails for a whole new type of "motor sailing" :lol: It actually works very well.
Paul
V12, CK17, FL12, FS14
Build em' right, build em' light.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=10167

gk108

Post by gk108 »

joe schena wrote:It seems to me that its easier to use an oar to assist tacking in light air. I know it's not a very elegant solution
I'm not sure if you get points for style on things like that. Have you tried grabbing the boom and backing the mizzen to swing the bow through the wind?
CC, D15, V10