CK 17 knock down question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
PJPiercey
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: CK 17 knock down question

Post by PJPiercey »

gk108 wrote:
joe schena wrote:It seems to me that its easier to use an oar to assist tacking in light air. I know it's not a very elegant solution
I'm not sure if you get points for style on things like that. Have you tried grabbing the boom and backing the mizzen to swing the bow through the wind?
You can back the main to help the bow come around. But backing the mizzen will make matters worse :wink:
Paul
V12, CK17, FL12, FS14
Build em' right, build em' light.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=10167

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Backing may not have been the right word. On my bermuda rigged boat, I've been able to get the bow around by holding the boom so it weathervanes the whole boat through the tack. :wink:
CC, D15, V10

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

gk108 wrote:Backing may not have been the right word. On my bermuda rigged boat, I've been able to get the bow around by holding the boom so it weathervanes the whole boat through the tack. :wink:
The Cat Ketch handles very differently :wink:

The only time I back wind the mizzen is when I want to sail backwards.
Paul
V12, CK17, FL12, FS14

joe schena
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe schena »

Had a great sail yesterday, strongest wind yet. I think we did some surfing. About 20 knots wind on a broad reach with a following sea. The daggar board was buzzing :D

joe schena
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe schena »

Paul,

Thanks for the tacking tip of backing the main. Another slight annoyance is when sailing in light air (no heel) , the main seems to over power the rudder. Sometimes I can sheet in the mizzen and let out the main to rebalance the boat.This doesn't seem optimum from a sail trim standpoint. Have you experienced this? any thoughts?

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

Hi Joe,

If I remember correctly I induce some heel to the boat by sitting on the downwind side. This gives more weather helm leverage to the center of effort of the main.

I leave for Komiza, Croatia on the 20th of this month. I'll be sailing the CK17 every day for three or four weeks. :D
Paul
V12, CK17, FL12, FS14

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

joe schena wrote:...Another slight annoyance is when sailing in light air (no heel) , the main seems to over power the rudder. Sometimes I can sheet in the mizzen and let out the main to rebalance the boat. This doesn't seem optimum from a sail trim standpoint...
I was looking at some video of cat ketch rigged boats on YouTube and had a couple thoughts. Watching the different boats was interesting because, I have ZERO experience with these rigs. The adjustment you made seemed like what I saw on some of those boats and it was mentioned on some other sailing sites. But... I don't know how your particular boat looks while underway. Is there any way to make a video of your boat? I bet guys with experience with the CK17 (like Paul) and other with cat ketch rigged boats could look at it and give you some quick analysis of what specifically is going on? I can't help. Sorry. :cry: But a video could help others to help.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I would love to see video of the sharpies. I had a sharpie once. When tacking in light wind, as the sails come around, grab the mizzen and help it over so it is straight downwind. "Invisible" to the wind. Any wind you do find will affect only the mainsail. The mainsails center of effort is well in front of the centerboard, and this effect will help to pull you around. It also helps with backing the main. Sharpies are awesome.