CK 17 Spar, Sail Storage

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
itsmark
New Poster
New Poster

CK 17 Spar, Sail Storage

Post by itsmark »

Where are the masts stored for the CK 17 when traveling on the trailer? They look longer than the boat. Do the sails simply roll up on the masts?

FloatingTurtle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CK 17 Spar, Sail Storage

Post by FloatingTurtle »

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I intended to build this boat last fall but had to delay (I did not go farther than the cardboard model :wink: ). My intentions were to be able to use the CK17 as a sail boat but also with a small motor without the masts and sails. So my idea was to store the masts and sails on the trailer (on some kind of rack) and be able to leave them there when not needed. But I never got farther than that.

The challenge I saw is how to build this rack. If the masts have to be in the middle of the boat (that's what I saw on all other trailers), that means supporting them at least at the front and the rear. But the rear rack will have to be built in a way not to interfere with launch and retrieval of the boat. On the other hand, if the masts can be stored on one side of the trailer (slanted upward toward the front to clear the towing vehicle), this would be easier and they would be out of the way.

I will be very interested to see what you do. :)
Jean, the Floating Turtle

Built: Prameke PK78
Other plans owned (and future projects): Cat Ketch CK17, Mini Maia MM21 and E-Cat EC24.

My PK78 gallery: http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1159

joe schena
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe schena »

My masts are 2.5 inch 6061T. I had a forward mast holder welded up that bolts on the toungue of my trailer. I made a wooden mast holder that fits in a bracket on the transom. The aft bracket is removeable. Ive seen these on other boats that use a pintle/gudgeon arrangement to mount the holder to the transom in the same location as the rudder. This save an additional bracket.

The masts span the whole boat. I use C-clamps to fasten the masts to the forward holder and bungees to fasten to the aft holder. I also use the main sheet and cleet to pull down on the center of the masts to minimise bouncing as I go down the road. The sails roll up onto the masts inbetween the holders so they are not damaged by the clamps and bungees.

I had a sail cover made up that pulls over the whole length of both masts to protect the rolled up sails from the weather.

A caution on using the main sheet to put downward pressure on the masts: use something to protect the sails from the main sheet. They could chaffe the sails. . .

FloatingTurtle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FloatingTurtle »

I have been thinking about this topic again and I remembered the solution of pjpiercey for his CK17. He uses masts that can be broken down into 3 parts. Having masts that could break down just into 2 parts would be sufficient to facilitate storage and transport as they would then be shorther than the boat. I would check if it would be possible to add some kind of rack on one side of the trailer. Maybe it would be possible to wrap the sails around one half of each mast, which would prevent removing them completely each time.
Jean, the Floating Turtle

Built: Prameke PK78
Other plans owned (and future projects): Cat Ketch CK17, Mini Maia MM21 and E-Cat EC24.

My PK78 gallery: http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1159