Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by bondo »

Wow Salvatore! You are just flying along. A full keel AD 16. Are you planning on putting some weight in the keel?

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Bondo, She has a cb just like yours. I don't know if the cb and keel is the same size as the AD14, what I did was to add the front curved section down to the bow so the it would be easy to get her on and of the trailer. What I wanted to ask you was do you lift your cb by hand or do you use a winch? the cb in ad16 is around 56 Kilos a bit of a lift by rope. I am looking at options so is Karl in a previous post he was looking at options also. Ps. I try to do a couple of hours a day after work on her when I get fired up on somthing it is very hard to slow me down, thanx for the compliments.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I dry fit the centerboard once and tested it and lifting it felt like about 40 to 50#. You could "feel" it but it didn't seem unreasonable. I have been traveling (NYC) and keep trying to post but some reason or other keeps kicking me off before I can post. I will add some pictures when I get a minute.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

You should have no problem pulling it up I have been doing it with no problem it is harder while the boat is on dry land than when it is in the water. The biggest problem is rembering to pull it up when you are putting it on the trailer I forgot it once it was a good thing someone told me just as I got it off the ramp so there was little damage. The biggest problem is how to grab the cable and I have that worked out with a short pipe you should have no problem.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Thankyou for your feedback Bondo & George. I have finished the bottom of the hull. I am going to turn her over and install the CB that I still have to make then I will pop her onto a trailer that I got real cheap that needs some TLC and modification. Does anyone know the approx center point of balance for the trailer.
Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Edit: I just re read this and I'm sure you already know the following comments but here you are anyway. The trailer needs to be about balance but not really about a center point. If you pull the boat all the way on, snug to the winch post, you then must be able to move the axle forward or backward accordingly. The boat needs to be where it needs to be. The balance is controlled by the axle location. You will want about 100# of tongue weight. (you do want tongue weight) move the axle forward or backwards until lifting the tongue takes about 100# of lift. If you aren't able to affect the balance by moving the axle then you are stuck with changing where the boat sits on the trailer. The latter is not ideal but it can work just as well. You may then need to change the bow stop/ winch post location. My broken hand is healing and I may be able to start working on my boat soon. I will show pictures of what I do with my trailer. Your boat is looking great. I really like the black. For some reason I never considered black but it looks really sharp.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Bondo, Thank you for the info, sorry to hear about your hand I know how hard it can be when you have problems with your hands :( . As for trailers I know nothing about them. I have had two boats before, one of them I built myself and used My flat top truck (that turned out to be a total waste of time :oops:) the other came complete with the boat. The trailer I have now, the leaf springs are welded directly to the frame so I am going to have to move the boat so that it sits correctly on the trailer. I have a picture of Georges boat and it looks like the balance point is just rear of C station Ill start with that and see how I go. If anyone can see that I am doing something wrong with the trailer please let me know. I will add a picture of the trailer this afternoon thanks to everyone for their help
Last edited by Salvatore on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I like the fenders and platforms George has on his trailer. Looks like his axle is fixed and his trailer works good for him. When handling the AD 14 with straps you get a feel for it. The boat (with centerboard and ballast) feels like it balances between "B" and "C" frames.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Georges trailer looks like it would have a lot of weight on the tow arm, hopefully george will let me know. Here is a picture of my trailer. It is about 110kg (242lbs) I can add upto 390kg (860lbs) total 500kg (1112lbs) everything over the total needs to be carried in car. I want to put a row of rollers down the middle for the keel to sit on and then make some skids to go down the side. I want to weld some brackets into the front triangle to stregthen it. Do you think this will work?
Last edited by Salvatore on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

You are right my tung weight is to heavy I bought a used trailer the bunks worked out so I just left it but the axel is about 15 inches to far aft I have been going to change it but just never got around to it. It is also made of 3 in heavy walled tubing so it is quite heavy I do not tow it far it is 1/2 hour to get to the lake or the ocean from home so it is not a big deal. I have looked at moving it I only need to cut off the brackets and weld on new ones a couple of hours work.