Page 1 of 1

Adelie16 from a land down under

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:29 pm
by Salvatore
Hi all,

I have started building Ad16 and I am absolutely loving it.

I have placed some images in the builders Galleries. Don't know how to place them here

The forum site has been a great help to me, many thanks to all that posted info on Adelie 16 and adelie 14

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:51 pm
by peter-curacao
There you go, if you wanna know how to do it just hit the quote button and you can see how :wink:

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:37 pm
by das boot
Glad to see another one under construction my father came from Down Under the town of Mackay was named after my grandfather still have a lot of relitives down there

Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:32 pm
by bondo
Nice looking work Sam. I enjoy seeing pics of the build process and you are off to a good start. (I see some interesting mods) Love it. Oh, and I think you should start this boat's thread again under builder's progress. Way to go! Btw if you haven't installed "D" frame yet we should have a discussion about the AD cockpit.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm
by Salvatore
Hi All,

I have added some new pictures in my builders album, caint work out how to place them here. Also their is one picture that shows my rego plate would like to remove don't know how to do that.
http://forums.bateau2.com/posting.php?m ... =3&t=58851#

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:58 pm
by bondo
I have been using a free Photobucket app recommended by someone on this site. You might try a search to see what others do. Please, work out a way because I would enjoy seeing how your boat is coming along.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:51 pm
by Salvatore
I will give that a go. If you want to see them before I sort this out they are in My albums "Salvatore / AD16 from a land down under"

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:49 am
by Salvatore

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:40 am
by bondo
Really nice looking work Salvatore. I see high quality materials and a high quality hull. I see some mods I'd love to hear about. You've brought the bow to a "point". Is that another frame in front of "A" frame? No 1/4 berths/nice under seat storage? Cockpit seat backs? Very cool.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:43 pm
by Salvatore
bringing the bow to a point was easy, i added a few inches to the top end of the side panels before I had cut them out. The extra frame is to support a short proper bowsprit for a jib, I am not interested in spinnakers so I am not doing the plastic pipe that comes out at an angle. The centerboard case is squared off so I can place a small SS winch on it to lift the centerboard. The lower cockpit seat is because I stand 5ft 3" and the normal planned seats would be uncomfortable for me and I don't need the under seat sleeping places. The back rest idea I stole from "Arizona builder" from his AD16.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:22 am
by das boot
You are moving forward quickly with your build just a thought if you are going to do any finish painting on the inside or in the birth area do it the way Bondo did it while it is still opened up. I was in to much of a rush to see the hull finished on the outside then had to clime into the birth area later to finish those areas. The end result of that was epoxy in my hair and a ton of sanding dust in my lungs not smart. Do it like Bondo did. How are you going to mount your bow sprit?
I did mine using metal plats to match the bow shape and bolted them on after welding them in shape I have a stub pipe out the front welded on to the plats and my bow sprit slides into that stub pipe so by pulling a pin I can remove it Easley however I just leave it in place. But I found it needed to be their I sailed it a few years without the bow sprit and found my jib was not getting enough clean air so I pit it on it works fine now. The seat backs work well and it keeps the beer from going over the side HaHa. I do not drink I made them into open storage to keep all the junk in they work well for that. Do not forget to put some scuppers in their to let the water drain.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:18 am
by bondo
Good work with the pictures. Like Das Boot I love seeing all the different mods everyone adds. I like how the absence of cabin "wings" works with the seat backs. Looks good. Is the cockpit floor height/self draining per plan? There is so much volume in the AD boats isn't there? This is great stuff Salvatore. More pictures are always appreciated.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:04 am
by Salvatore
Ad16 is a most excellent design, The more I work on her the more fun she is, I am greatfull to forum members who freely shared their boat construction process, it has made it so much easier for me. And to think I nearly chose the Hartley16 design. I never realized that a hard chine boat could look so good, thank-you Jacques.

I was thinking of doing as much of the work as possible before putting the berth top on, you have convinced me to do it Bondo style. I put the bow sprit pipe in last night. (Pictures below) I was going to make my bowsprit out of Australian Hardwood it is a very hard and flexible timber, it would slide into the pipe and held in with a pulling pin. Do you have a picture of your bowsprit that I can see for ideas? also how long is the bowsprit on your boat. since it works I would like to do the same. The cockpit area does slope back as per plan and I wont forget the scuppers thankyou.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:12 am
by jacquesmm
The plans show the tube off to the side. How are you going to install the forestay fitting now? Saddle type straps?

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:24 pm
by Salvatore
This is what I want to to do, I have looked at other boat designs and believe this will work, I really would like a jib that will work to windward I looked at other boat plans and they all look like they come out of the past. I wanted a boat that I could sail myself with just the mainsail and one that could have a jib as well so that I could gain that extra push in light winds. AD16 was the closest I could get to meeting my needs. I am very great-full for any input I know that what I paid for the plans is next to nothing for the service I have already received.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:01 pm
by bondo
You will get a lot of compression pushing the sprit "in" so you would want extra reinforcement around the tube at the "pin". I had wondered about the halyard acting as the forestay. You could use a wire luff jib. Per plan, the bow sprit is something like 4'-5' out from the bow so it might flex too much for a jib? Remember, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:58 pm
by das boot
looking good I put my bow sprit out 3.5 feet from the bow and my forward stay runs to the tip of it the jib also runs up and down the stay. I put no bracing cables on it it is just a piece tubing and it works fine he only thing it is slightly to long even in a light wing 8 mph it can quickly over power the rudder I think I am going to shorten it by 6 inches and see if that helps. I would like to post pictures if someone can tell me of an easy way to do it. if not send me your email and I can send them that way. My Email George@mkysecurity.com

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:08 am
by Salvatore
Pushed Ad16 out into the sunlight today

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:23 pm
by Salvatore

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:30 am
by bondo
Das Boot, the old girl looks good. Yours was the first AD I saw. Salvatore, the pictures are great. The view of the cockpit from the transom looks very inviting. I think the companionway sides being parallel with the seatbacks is a nice touch. I noticed a modified sole. A lower level just inside the cabin. What are your plans for this and how did you build it?

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:45 pm
by Salvatore
bondo wrote:Das Boot, the old girl looks good. Yours was the first AD I saw. Salvatore, the pictures are great. The view of the cockpit from the transom looks very inviting. I think the companionway sides being parallel with the seat-backs is a nice touch. I noticed a modified sole. A lower level just inside the cabin. What are your plans for this and how did you build it?
The lower level just inside the cabin is so a can put a porta-potti on one side low enough so I won't hit my head on the cabin ceiling, I modified the other side so I can install a small map table for cooking, etc. The stringers in that section was cut lower and strengthen with a layer of bi-axial tape.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:47 pm
by das boot
I did something the same for the potty and placed my battery on the other side to balance it I have a small solar panel on the beck beside the hatch that keeps my battery up it works fine. Put a coat of wax on the old girl today it will not make it faster but the red is a lot brighter. thanks for posting the pictures I will try photobucket to see if I can get it working

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 pm
by bondo
Very nice Salvatore. The blue with the natural bright work would look really sharp. I was planning on keeping my portable in a drawstring mesh type bag. I think It will be easy to lift out of storage and place inside the cabin. Lifting it by the excess bag length. Same to lower it back down and store underfoot. (it works great in my imagination) I would like to see pictures of these mods if you guys have them. Makes it fun for others to plan how they would build theirs. Really interested in a table/galley area. With two small cleats on the seat risers and your flat/level centerboard opening you could do a removable, drop-in bridge deck/seat. It would keep the splash out and be a level seat for motoring?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:24 pm
by Salvatore
I am going to try a make a flat cb section in cabin as a seat, don't know if it will work. There is a lot more space in ad16 cabin than there is in other boats her size, and the other plans show all sorts of inclusions that don't work in reality. I have modified a 3d image of what my boat will look like hopefully.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:37 am
by das boot
it looks good one mistake among the many I made in building my boat 1-my bow sprit should have been tilted up slightly 2. your idea of making the keel box into a seat is good one thing I found is that the step from the soal into the cabin floor through the hatch is quite a step we tend to use the top of the portable john as a step so if you do not make it a seat make it into a step. Trying to use the top of the keel box as a step is not a good idea I have slipped off of it a few times. And yes while I thought I thought of every thing I even put in a removable part of the cabin floor to make a foot well while using the john I forgot that the aft bulkhead slops forward while it works one needs to sit hunched over to match the bulkhead so we mainly use it as a step. Nothing is perfect

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:32 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Das boot & Bondo, How do you guys lift your cb? I was going to use a winch but on Bondos boat I caint see one.

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:16 pm
by das boot
When I built my keel I put a SS eye bolt with 2 nuts on it into he top of the keel with the eye exposed then put a small SS cable through it with a eye at the top end of he cable it is about 1 ft long/ to lift the keel I slide a short piece of 1/2 inch conduit through the loop this I use as a handle to pull it up while holding it up with one hand I slide a 1/4 bolt through a hole through the keel box through the keel and out the other side of the keel box and put a nut on it to lock it up for transport. I had to reinforce the hole through the keel and keel box as I found ir was getting out of shape after the second year so I put a brass tube through the whole thing and glassed it into place then cut the tube on each side of the keel inside of the keel box then with the keel lowered I was able to smooth it out using a file it works fine and I have no problem lowering or rasing the keel and when needed it is easy to replace the cable. you need to put in a pin to hold the cable when the keel is down so the cable dose not go down and jam the keel I just slide the travel bolt through the lifting eye that works for me

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:50 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

I follow the build of your boat since May 2014 and I admire the speed with which you put it together and besides that you also think out all the problems of an Adelie builder like the loo position and now the lifting of the centerboard. I am also busy thinking this thru but you are short before the realisation since you not only build but also think faster than me.
I think you want a purchase in the lifting of the centerboard and thats why you thinking of a winch to do the work.
I built into the keel a 1 1/2 inch hole with a 3/8 inch pipe to the top.

I want to put a block into this hole and work then with 2 cables coming up to the top and then have a handle like George
( das boot ) has done it. I believe a lot in what he is saying, because he is sailing das boot fo a couple of years.

All the best for finishing your Adelie ( I think before christmas this year )

Greetings from Karl

( not down under, but Upper Austria ; You see one can build an Adelie in a country not surrounded by the sea. )

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:46 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl, thankyou for your kind words. I am not sure a block is such a good idea, you get all sorts of stuff floating around the CB and CBcase, if the block gets stuck it could course you lots of problems. What george has is a simple eyebolt at the top of the CB that is easy to get at and does not get jammed up. I could be wrong. Put in a new thread and ask Jacques if it will be an issue.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:38 am
by Salvatore
After Karl mentioned that he was interested in the boats progress, I have a quick update. I have turned the boat over and started working on the hull I have done this before she got to heavy, I have installed two pulleys in the ceiling so it is very easy for me to roll her over I had decided to turn her completely over so I can install the keel and make sure it is on level I also wanted to glass the keel all around in one go for added strength. I have added the extra section to the keel so that I can easerly roll her onto the boat trailer. I have glassed and sanded the hull she is now ready for me to start filling.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:21 am
by bondo
Wow Salvatore! You are just flying along. A full keel AD 16. Are you planning on putting some weight in the keel?

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:17 am
by Salvatore
Hi Bondo, She has a cb just like yours. I don't know if the cb and keel is the same size as the AD14, what I did was to add the front curved section down to the bow so the it would be easy to get her on and of the trailer. What I wanted to ask you was do you lift your cb by hand or do you use a winch? the cb in ad16 is around 56 Kilos a bit of a lift by rope. I am looking at options so is Karl in a previous post he was looking at options also. Ps. I try to do a couple of hours a day after work on her when I get fired up on somthing it is very hard to slow me down, thanx for the compliments.

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:05 am
by bondo
I dry fit the centerboard once and tested it and lifting it felt like about 40 to 50#. You could "feel" it but it didn't seem unreasonable. I have been traveling (NYC) and keep trying to post but some reason or other keeps kicking me off before I can post. I will add some pictures when I get a minute.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:35 am
by das boot
You should have no problem pulling it up I have been doing it with no problem it is harder while the boat is on dry land than when it is in the water. The biggest problem is rembering to pull it up when you are putting it on the trailer I forgot it once it was a good thing someone told me just as I got it off the ramp so there was little damage. The biggest problem is how to grab the cable and I have that worked out with a short pipe you should have no problem.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:06 am
by Salvatore
Thankyou for your feedback Bondo & George. I have finished the bottom of the hull. I am going to turn her over and install the CB that I still have to make then I will pop her onto a trailer that I got real cheap that needs some TLC and modification. Does anyone know the approx center point of balance for the trailer.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:50 pm
by bondo
Edit: I just re read this and I'm sure you already know the following comments but here you are anyway. The trailer needs to be about balance but not really about a center point. If you pull the boat all the way on, snug to the winch post, you then must be able to move the axle forward or backward accordingly. The boat needs to be where it needs to be. The balance is controlled by the axle location. You will want about 100# of tongue weight. (you do want tongue weight) move the axle forward or backwards until lifting the tongue takes about 100# of lift. If you aren't able to affect the balance by moving the axle then you are stuck with changing where the boat sits on the trailer. The latter is not ideal but it can work just as well. You may then need to change the bow stop/ winch post location. My broken hand is healing and I may be able to start working on my boat soon. I will show pictures of what I do with my trailer. Your boat is looking great. I really like the black. For some reason I never considered black but it looks really sharp.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:45 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Bondo, Thank you for the info, sorry to hear about your hand I know how hard it can be when you have problems with your hands :( . As for trailers I know nothing about them. I have had two boats before, one of them I built myself and used My flat top truck (that turned out to be a total waste of time :oops:) the other came complete with the boat. The trailer I have now, the leaf springs are welded directly to the frame so I am going to have to move the boat so that it sits correctly on the trailer. I have a picture of Georges boat and it looks like the balance point is just rear of C station Ill start with that and see how I go. If anyone can see that I am doing something wrong with the trailer please let me know. I will add a picture of the trailer this afternoon thanks to everyone for their help

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:13 am
by bondo
I like the fenders and platforms George has on his trailer. Looks like his axle is fixed and his trailer works good for him. When handling the AD 14 with straps you get a feel for it. The boat (with centerboard and ballast) feels like it balances between "B" and "C" frames.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:29 am
by Salvatore
Georges trailer looks like it would have a lot of weight on the tow arm, hopefully george will let me know. Here is a picture of my trailer. It is about 110kg (242lbs) I can add upto 390kg (860lbs) total 500kg (1112lbs) everything over the total needs to be carried in car. I want to put a row of rollers down the middle for the keel to sit on and then make some skids to go down the side. I want to weld some brackets into the front triangle to stregthen it. Do you think this will work?

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:50 pm
by das boot
You are right my tung weight is to heavy I bought a used trailer the bunks worked out so I just left it but the axel is about 15 inches to far aft I have been going to change it but just never got around to it. It is also made of 3 in heavy walled tubing so it is quite heavy I do not tow it far it is 1/2 hour to get to the lake or the ocean from home so it is not a big deal. I have looked at moving it I only need to cut off the brackets and weld on new ones a couple of hours work.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:41 am
by Salvatore
Hi Bondo & George & Karl, I noticed this post in another topic, Could you please point me to the info on how the pully on the end of the bow sprit is setup? Also I hope your hand is getting better, I suffer from arthritis in my thumbs, it can be so painfull and restricting.

"Hi Bondo, How is your hand I hope it is healing summer is at hand I finely got my boat out today I copied the way you put a pulley on the end of your bow sprit and it worked out well I was able to lower it and pull it into the cabin from the open hatch it was real windy so I am glad it worked I did not need to go on deck. Now all I need to do is modify the main I will do that before
the next trip."

Picture of cradle I built for my AD16

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:19 am
by bondo
I built the bow sprit per plan. (plastic mock up shown)
Cam cleats with fair leads for this setup.
The sprit adds about 4 1/2' length.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 pm
by Salvatore
Hi all,

Thankyou for the picks Bondo & George (picture from george added below). I love the look of your boat Bondo, It looks like it was pushed out of a mould, her lines are so sharp and perfect, I know now the work involved in building one of these boats, and I have only just begun. George, on your boat do you not run the jib on the forestay anymore and run it seperatly up and over the pully like Bondo's boat? Do you get slacking on the forestay cable if you pull the jib cable tight, I have always clipped my jib to the forstay, If the leading edge of the jib is not realy tight will it not flap when sailing to windward or am I wrong on this point.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 pm
by das boot
yes I ran it on the for stay but the problem was that I had to go on the deck to release it my jib has a cable that runs through it so it can run by without hooking it to the for stay this way I can lower it and pull it into the cabin without going out on deck to release it from the end of the bow sprit. It can get tricky out on the deck getting to the end of the bow sprit. This might not be a problem for you or bondo with the retracting bow sprit but it was a problem for me as I got older. This worked well on its first run last week as I had to drop and stow the sales in a high wind I was glad I made this mod. The wind was strong enough that the boat just would not turn on the ruder the wind caught the high bow and around we went we had to start the motor and point into wind to get the sales down.
I wonder how much problem you are going to have trying to pull the bow sprit in under load it might jam up in the process food for thought. The system Bondo is running will allow him like me to pull the foot of the jib in then simply lower it and stow it in the cabin. I have a few pictures of mine under sail that I will send you I think they were taken before I added the bow sprit the jib was simply hooked to the bow but it was always fighting for air that is why I added the bow sprit.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 am
by Salvatore
Actually the bowsprit is more like yours, if you go back to page 2 of this thread you will see a drawing of what I want to do, that is why I wanted to know about the way you have your jib setup. I have a hole in the bow to take a bowsprit, unfortunately I Can't leave it in as my garrarge is not long enough to do so.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 am
by das boot
That being the case if you can use a cable through the leading of the sail and not hook it to the forward stay you would work fine if you run the sail clips of the bow stay then you still need to go on deck to release them. The way mine is now working I simply stand in the hatch way release the one ropr pull the foot back into the cabin and then lower the sail into the cabin it works well.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 pm
by Salvatore
Here are two latest pictures of my boat.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:39 am
by das boot
Are you putting a second hatch in the open part of the deck?

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:47 am
by Salvatore
YES, :D I worked out a way to do it, The main larger hatch is a bit higher and wider than the smaller hatch. The smaller hatch will slide under the bigger one, the smaller one will have perspex on it for light. I had to sacrifice a little bit of length on the main one. The reason I can do this is because the cabin floor is lower in the first part of the cabin + I am shorter than most and it is easy for me to go under then up via the smaller hatch, this way i can easerly reach the mast. A taller person (6ft or more) may find in a little hard to use.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore, Yes I put 4 lockable wheel under my building frame like Bondo suggested and it is very necessary in my cramped shed I have only 40 cm on each side of the boat and because of the carpeted floor I can push the whole thing with one hand from side to side. I have a question about Your sprit fitting : What is that spring underneath the pully for ?
Greetings Karl

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:04 am
by Salvatore
G'day Karl, hope all is well. I noticed in your boat building thread that you are getting the pannels together and the wheels are a great idea. It is fun to see a persons boat come together, hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. The spingy thingy thing (I don't know what it's proper name is) :) is off of Georges boat it is designed to stop the pully from flopping over and jamming the rope when you pull on it. It is quite a great idea it gives the pully the abilaty to twist and turn without it becoming comprimised. Greetings Salvatore

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 pm
by das boot
that is a standard harken part I have a few of them on the boat the new ones have a rubber bot over them so they look slightly different but I had it on hand and it works well

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 am
by bondo
The hatch is anther cool mod. The boat is looking great and already sitting on its trailer. Way to go Salvatore.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 pm
by das boot
you can all get a kick out of this I launched yesterday in a stiff brees and had 2.5-3 mph before we put the sales up we went for about 1 hour like this just the wind on the back of the cabin

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:15 pm
by Salvatore
Glassing the top of cabin.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:27 pm
by das boot
do not get stuck in there it would be hard to close the hatch

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am
by bondo
That's great! I love that you're taking advantage of the new access. Boatbuilding "action" pictures are rare. You will be able to pop up there and reach the bow cleat even.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:33 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Bondo, I am thinking of putting a drop-down step inside the cabin so that I can go ondeck from the forward hatch, I can hold onto the mast to help me be stable and not fall off. Do you think that it may be able to work?

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:04 pm
by das boot
That is the problem I have it was OK a few years ago but hard today I have a small step stool I use and I can get to everything from the hatch but it is still a long reach. you should be ok from that location as long as you can get a seal around the hatch not that you get a lot of water on deck but when it is parked and the rain gets in. I have had some problems with that I drop a piece of PVC pipe into the mast hole to hold the front of the mast when down and if I do not seal around it with tape the rain gets on the mast and then runs down that PCV pipe.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:21 am
by bondo
I don't know about standing on the deck. The only time I planned to be on deck was when stepping the mast. Das boot would have a much better idea about that. Sounds like he's been on deck before with his AD 16 in the water.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:12 am
by das boot
No problem stepping the mast just make sure the hatch is closed so you do not step into the hole I do it on the trailer before the going into the water. I get it untied holding the front part out of the holder then remove the holder I then swing it around so the foot is on the ground I reposition my hands and pull it up until the foot is on the deck then reposition for the last lift and set it in the hole that is the hard part as it is top heave at that point.
The bad part of the small deck is getting the sales up and down it is easy at the dock but the lake I sail in is 15 miles long and the wind only from the SE so after 3-4 hours under sail I come back on the motor getting the sails down got tricky at times especley in a high wind their is no shelter bays after the changes I made this year I can drop the sales from the cabin now I get the sails down and the boom stored while on the way back down the lake. At times that lake can get quite rough 3-4 foot waves are quite common but this boat handles it quite well. Out on the ocean it is the same you just bob around a bit but it is a good weather boat.
We all have slitely different rigging but they are all similar it is either 6 or 7 years now and I still enjoy it you will get a lot of people asking about it at the gas station or any where you stop that makes one feel good.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:37 pm
by Salvatore
Hi All, I am stepping the mast on the deck and not shoving it down a hole, I was incorrectly informed about this when I purchased the plans. If you go to the AD16 study plan area of this website and click on more pictures the first picture you see is of the bow of a AD16 with a step point on deck and not a hole in the cabin roof. Luckily for me I have a friend who is a engineer, so I could have a deck mounting I laid bi-axil glass inside and over the top of the cabin and installed a support beam for the mast step. this added an extra 10kg (20lb approx) to the weight. The mast then needs to be of a compression style. I think that Jacques should either supply optional drawings or remove the picture and add information in the study plans about the drop down mast.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:26 pm
by jacquesmm
Salvatore, please read the study plans text:
The mast is stepped on the keel and supported by a forestay and a pair of shrouds.
What you see on the drawings and pictures are the mast partner and a collar around the mast. There is no picture that shows a deck stepped mast.

This is a small mast, one person can lift it and drop it in that hole. I find that much easier than to swing a mast up while it wobbles all around. The whole boat is designed with an unstayed mast in mind: the high sides of the cabin for example.
Even if a shroud breaks, that mast will not go easily over board, it is safe rig.

To change to deck stepped mast involves a lot. The structure of the boat, deck, framing, is designed to work with the mast in flexion, not compression. Not only do you need a mast post but it must push on a mast step and the shrouds must be fastened to something that can take the load: reinforced bow plate and reinforced frames.
It is complicated to change all that.
Think about it and try to accept the rig as designed. I sailed with each type of rig and the self standing rig has many benefits in such a small boat.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:14 pm
by SP
The study plan is very clear about the keel stepped mast, but the first picture on the "click here to see more pictures" link on the AD16 study plan page does seem to show a AD16 with a mast step on the deck. That boat looks like it has a much larger sail on it than plan. Boom also looks higher up on the mast to make room for the bimini.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:47 am
by SP
Cutting off the cabin side so it is flush with the aft cabin frame is another interesting modification. Still looks good IMO.

You lose the hand hold but now the cockpit seat can be used right up against the cabin. You can now lean up against the cabin which is a very nice place to sit and relax.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:17 am
by bondo
I hope you don't become too frustrated Salvatore. You are doing great work and progress on your boat is really good.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 am
by Salvatore
Thankyou for correcting me concerning the study plans , sorry about that :oops: Thankyou for responding so quickly. Unfortunately at that time I had read so much information on so many boats that I don't recall reading about the mast stepping down to the keel. But as SP has pointed out
SP wrote:but the first picture on the "click here to see more pictures" link on the AD16 study plan page does seem to show a AD16 with a mast step on the deck.
I will place a post from the cabin top to the Keel, but I still would like to try it with a step on the cabin, the reason is my garrage is long enough to take the mast length from cabin height but not from the keel. If I step the mast from the keel I will have to take it of the top of the boat and around to the side of the house cover it and repeat the process every time I go sailing. But if I do it from cabin height I can leave it on the boat and I don't have to touch it untill I get to the boat ramp,I won't even have to undo the side shrouds. I am extremly happy with the boat She is just a shell at the moment and already she looks great. I really don't mind making the changes, I will be happy to change it to spec if it does not work out. But an issue still remains, the first photo I saw of an AD16 was the one with the cabin stepped mast, It clouded my thinking and I did not realize it was not right untill I saw the plans but even then the AD16 was best suited to my needs by a country mile and so it became my boat of choice. Also the pictures are living proof that it is possible I am not walking on new ground here, the builder of that boat in the pictures has done it before me. Once again thankyou for your time.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am
by jacquesmm
You are correct, I did not see that picture. I will write a caption on it.

It shows that it can be done. It is not my preferred rig but if you pay attention to the way the loads are handled, it will work.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:08 am
by Salvatore
jacquesmm wrote:It shows that it can be done. It is not my preferred rig but if you pay attention to the way the loads are handled, it will work.
I will do that plus some, fortunately I have a friend who is an engineer to assist me with this.
bondo wrote:I hope you don't become too frustrated Salvatore. You are doing great work and progress on your boat is really good.
Thankyou Bondo, you must be a mind reader all the filling and sanding can be very draining.
SP wrote:Cutting off the cabin side so it is flush with the aft cabin frame is another interesting modification. Still looks good IMO.

You lose the hand hold but now the cockpit seat can be used right up against the cabin. You can now lean up against the cabin which is a very nice place to sit and relax.
Not only that, on the AD16 with the modification you can fit four adults side by side all on one side of the cockpit I can add some nice Stainless steel handles where I may need them later.

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:38 am
by bondo
I built my AD thinking i would have an unstayed mast only to be talked out of it by Jacques and everyone else. I had changed my "A" frame and I did not want to install the internal stay-gusset frames. I was pissed when I couldn't have my way. I had done so much work that wasn't going to be used, or wasn't necessary the way I had done it. I was really frustrated at the time and I worried you would be as well. Btw your reason for wanting a deck stepped mast seems so obvious but I hadn't thought of it. If i were you I would put the post inside (it won't be in the way), step the mast on the deck, and store it inside your garage like you want. Your little boat will be awesome.

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:08 pm
by das boot
Hi. My father in law is here he built a bruce roberts 25 a number of years ago and sailed it for 15 years with no problem and he maid the same mod he put a post inside to create the hard point on deck and it worked fine. The other option is you could do something like I did the mast I have is 2 feet short of what is called for on the plans so I mounted a pipe from the bottom of the boat up through the deck and had a plug welded in it at the 2 foot mark the plug has a slot in it that matches the foot of the mast. You could do it like that my mast goes into the pipe about 2 feet but that was just the mast I had you could just drop in a few inches or just use the post to support the mast foot. Your way would be easier to raise and lower. I have stays on my mast but they came on it so I used them as for the hard points on the stays I just put extra plywood on the inside and tied it into the frames it has been good all these years.

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:29 pm
by jacquesmm
I like the idea of using a pipe as a sleeve. That would give you a shorter mast. Have it go as deep as possible in the pipe. About 2' should be fine.
Or you could have the mast in 3 pieces with one piece as a sleeve to cover the 2 others where it goes through the deck.

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:18 pm
by das boot
Thanks Jacquesmm did it because my mast was two short but it would work for others the only problem I have is that the pipe comes through the deck by about 3 inches and as I geo older it gets harder to center it to drop in I intend to grind off some of the back part of the pipe that will give me a place to put the bottom of the mast and I can then push it into the whole as I walk it forward I think it will be easier to handle that way.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:25 am
by Salvatore
bondo wrote: Btw your reason for wanting a deck stepped mast seems so obvious but I hadn't thought of it. If i were you I would put the post inside (it won't be in the way), step the mast on the deck, and store it inside your garage like you want. Your little boat will be awesome.
Thankyou for your support, I will put a post in the cabin going down to the keel I just need to make the stays stronger I have all-ready lined the inside of the cabin with Bi-axil, I will make the brace for the stays a bit bigger and glass them with bi-axil, I will add some pics after I have done that.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 am
by Salvatore
Hi All, Some latest pics of my boat, I am not certain about putting the blue stripes down the sides. Feedback would be appreciated.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 pm
by das boot
Looking real good Stick the lines on it being an old pilot we used all the tricks if the line is well out of the water even if you are loaded it looks like you are light so you do not get bothered by the coast guard that is why I put them on and have yet to get stopped we used to do this with helicopters when landing at an airport overweight we would hold some power on while helpers unloaded some of the cargo before we put all the weight on the landing gear it kept DOT away the same holds for the boat.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:01 pm
by Salvatore
G,day, Latest pictures, as always your comments good and bad are greatly appreciated. The second photo shows the two hatchs sliding into each other. Once again thank-you for every-ones help, I am hoping to have it in the water for our Summer downunder (our Summer starts in December)

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:58 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
I really like Your AD16 build and pictures and admire the speed with which You progress. I am retired and therefore have plenty of time to build my AD14 but You beat everything to finish your boat still this Year. I made a plan to finish mine before my 70 th birthday which will be in 2 Years. In the meantime I learn from your thread and want to take sailing lessons.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:11 am
by terrulian
Salvatore, beautiful job on the hatches. Clever double sliding hatch arrangement. These are very cool boats, I just had a look at the pictures and plans. Jacques must have gotten a kick out of designing them. Can you beach this boat? I can't quite tell from the drawings whether the CB retracts completely but in any case, since there's only 13" draft with the keel up, you can walk to the beach. You can get by without a tender.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 am
by jacquesmm
The CB retracts completely and with that wide keel, you can beach the boat. She will stay upright to an angle of 20 degrees, 30 with proper weight distribution.
You can also move the boat while it is standing on it's keel, with some rollers under it.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:38 pm
by bondo
Wow Salvatore. Love the pictures. Really looking great. Repeating what someone else said but nice workmanship. Yours is a fun looking boat. The sit-inside cockpit, the hatches, very cool.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:02 am
by das boot
I like the hatches very unique idea it must have been a lot of trouble to work it out but it is slick you should have no problem getting it dun by your summer season you do not have that far to go on it now. It took me one year from the date my wife gave me the plans till the first time it hit the water. It was not finished but I wanted to see how it floated so that first time it was not painted nor did it have windows but it was all glassed. It took me another 5 mounts to finish it off. but that was just working on it when I had a chance. The biggest problem I have is the 2 main cabin windows are plexie and they are getting quite crased in the sun and i will need to replace them in the next year or two. And in one place on the back supports on the seats I had run out of good plywood so I used 1 chunk of construction grade ply and it is showing signs of braking down but nothing I can not fix.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:31 am
by Salvatore
G,day to all, Some more pics of my boat. I have a few questions if anyone can give feedback, greatly appreciated. As you can tell from the pics still have lots of finnishing work to do
1) I was thinking of laying a thin layer of hardwood decking on the Cockpit Sole (should I add it) :?:
2) The extra line down the side, the extra line is aesthetic, see attached pic below (should I add it) :?:
3) please let me know if I am overdoing it with the pictures :)
Bow chain locker
Window frame

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

I love all your pictures and you are not overdoing it. You should do the two suggested plans of hardwood and painting the line.
Can you give us a closeup of the cabin door you seem to have made it to fold sideways. As I am not as far as mounting it on my AD14 I can still toss around ideas and I like your door. A question to the bow chain locker: Is it from frame A forwards and did you make frame A bigger than suggested on the plan on the inside ?
And I dearly would like to know your profession ( maybe professional boatbuilder ? ) because that could give all of us an idea how you progress so fast.
I hold thumbs that You will sail your boat by December 1 st in Sydney harbour.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:00 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl, Good to hear from you. Thanx for the feedback.
gonandkarl wrote:Can you give us a closeup of the cabin door you seem to have made it to fold sideways
I made a jam out of a square length of timber. the jam will stop the rain, etc from getting in. I made a door like this on another boat I had, to my surprise it worked realy well. It is easy to make, use 13mm ply and two lengths of stainless steel piano hinge, let me know if you would like some detail on the drawing.
from inside
from outside
gonandkarl wrote:A question to the bow chain locker: Is it from frame A forwards and did you make frame A bigger than suggested on the plan
I added an extra frame. 1) To create a locker 2) To strengthen the bowsprit 3) to help support the deck stepped mast
gonandkarl wrote: I dearly would like to know your profession ( maybe professional boatbuilder ? )
Thankyou for the complement, no I am not a boatbuilder, But I am a jack of all trades. In my working life I have been a Construction Worker, a PC Technical Support Person, a Technology Sales a Marketing Person, a Self Employed Handyman, a Production Manager and more, My nick name is Action-man People started calling me that in my early 30s allas it has stuck.
Regards Salvatore or Sam or Action-man :D

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:53 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,

Thanks for the info and I had a good look at your windows. I really like them, they look beautiful. It seems you made an inside and outside frame and screwed them together and covered the outside with nice looking nuts.

Yes I dearly would like a bit more detail of your drawing of the jam piece of wood which keeps the rain out. ( Is jam another word for doorframe ? )

I understand you are also retired like me but the speed of boat building you are showing I wont achieve because I was all my life allways just an IT manager who could only type on a keyboard and now I am trying to get away of my two left and clumsy hands
ability. Since I build the boat I am really getting better in working with my hands.
Also my way with glassfibre and epoxy work is getting better. On my rowing boat I had epoxy everywhere and on all my clamps and now I even have all my epoxy tools clean after every use. ( Old newspaper to wipe and acetone afterwards does the trick )

Greetings Karl ( Austria )

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:54 am
by terrulian
Do you have a plan for securing the door while underway?

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:56 pm
by Salvatore
Your classic cabin latch does the trick, one on the inside one on the out and a small eyelet to keep it in the open persition

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:05 am
by Salvatore
gonandkarl wrote:Hi Salvatore,

Yes I dearly would like a bit more detail of your drawing of the jam piece of wood which keeps the rain out. ( Is jam another word for doorframe ? )
The back section of the jam acts like a dam stoping the water flowing inwards. I cut the rebate and groove using a circular saw but you can also do it with a router. The Ruler is in metric not inchs. mine worked out at 4cm it does not need to be exactly that size. Allow space for fiberglass on plywood. Salvatore

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:07 pm
by bondo
Love the pictures. My opinion on the stripe is no. Because I don't think graphics should compete with your bright work. I might go with a simple finishing plan intending to frame and "set off" the woodwork. I noticed you have no deck beams. Or rather, external deck beams with the hatch runners? I see a box beam where I assume it backs the mast? I can't see an "A" frame. Did you add a frame or relocate "A" frame? Looks great Salvatore. Keep it going with all the pictures too. I think everyone appreciates them.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 pm
by Salvatore
G,day Bondo,
I added a frame, where my chain locker is. Because My main hatch is a little higher the "deck Beam" is above the deck height and not under. I still need to add a support post in the cabin for the mast.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:10 pm
by das boot
Hi.
Just a thought on you bow hatch on my boat I store the boom in one of the births when it is not in use but in order to get it into the cabin i need to stick one end of it well up into the nose of the cabin before the back end will fit into the cabin once inside i can then slide it back into the birth for storage

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:22 pm
by Salvatore
G,day George,

Is your boom shorter than on the plan? It looks to me to be impossible to fit the planned boom at any angle :)

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:26 pm
by das boot
I think it is about 1 ft shorter than called for but i got the mast and boom came as a set so i just worked with what i had in this case it worked out good for storage inside but it just makes it.

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:08 pm
by Salvatore
G,day all, Working on my cockpit sole, I decided to glue it onto a sheet of 6mm marine ply so that it would be easyer and more accurate. I will then just silicon it to the sole, I sprayed the ply and bottom of the timbers with a 50year anti wood rot agent. I also have my bowsprit done, the bowsprit can be removed, if I want to I can latter set it up with the sliding pole as per plan.

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:44 pm
by terrulian
A work of art, Salvatore.
What wood is that, and what do you plan for the space between the strips?

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:17 pm
by Salvatore
G,day, Terrulian
The wood is selected hard Pacific Maple, many years ago you could not use it in boats but now with the modern compounds you can, I like it for its rich colours it is actually reder than what the picture shows, I used a product called Tanalised (not shore if it is banned in the US, Canada or EU) it prevents rotting even if the timber is permatenatly in water. During the construction of the boat I have used all sorts of timbers, everything from Cypress pine to cedar, modern compunds let you do this and I love the veriety of colours on the boat. In the gaps I am using a special silicon that comes from Sweden it is UV stable and mould resistant.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:29 am
by bondo
That's very pretty Salvatore. Are you planning to have access to the space under the cockpit?

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:15 pm
by Salvatore
Not for now, I don't want to spoil the timber deck by putting hatchs in it, I will be putting an inspection port in the cabin on "C" frame so I can check that it is dry.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:22 am
by Salvatore
G,day all,
have intalled the deck, just need to do silicon around edge and it is done, now I can cut out the scuppers. Installed winch for my 60kg cb, Installed boarding ladder should be good for me and my old fuddy duddy friends :D. Have started on rudder I am making mine in the classic style.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 am
by pee wee
Very nice; I've always liked the natural or stained wood with white paint combination, it's a classic. You included an action shot, too- great! :D

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:56 am
by terrulian
Beautiful, Salvatore. I can already visualize sitting at the helm.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:50 am
by Noles309
Gorgeous 8)

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:15 am
by jacquesmm
Beautiful cockpit and it is too nice to cut hatches through it.
Keep it pretty and water tight, access the space underneath from inside.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:38 pm
by Salvatore
G,day to all, Latest pictures on my classic look rudder.

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:32 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

Beautiful rudder and it looks like it can swing up on that one screw in the middle or is it completely tight and just opened for storing it in a smaller place. I also like the tiller which can swing out of the way 180 degrees or even further ?
A few days ago You talked of starting with the rudder and now it is already finished.
I am sure You developed this fast boatbuilding so that You can really start sailing this November ( your begin of summertime.)
I wish You all the best for it and let the pictures roll on. You cant believe how much I can learn of every detail on them.

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:08 am
by Salvatore
Thankyou for your kind words, I hope that I can be a help to others as I have received help myself. Yes, the rudder does swing up I need to add some cords to it so that I can control it from the cockpit I like to have that control so that I can lift it when beaching it or manuvering in shallow water, I'm hopeing to never remove ithe rudder. The top pintail has a locking hole in it. I need to add some balast to the blade section to equal water weight. I want the boat to take as little time to prep as possible, I want to spend my time packing my picnic box an not setting up the boat. I'm Itching to go sailing I can't wait to be cutting the water in Sydney harbour, I can smell the salt air already.

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:46 am
by Cracker Larry
Very nice work 8)

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:54 am
by Salvatore
G,day all, More pics

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:47 am
by terrulian
You're going to get a lot of looks and questions about that sweet little boat down at the marina.

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 am
by jacquesmm
That is a beautiful job. Thank you for the pictures.
Did you get my reply about the rudder fittings you proposed?

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:53 pm
by Salvatore
G,day Jacques,
Not yet. I know I need the make the rudder stronger, you can add it here or email me, your help is appreciated. My email address is snizeti@tpg.com.au. Thanx Salvatore.

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:15 pm
by Salvatore
G,day all, Apart from minor touchup, the cabin is done. The metal pole goes into mast post and Keel. the center step is ofset so that it can be used as a step and seat and hand grip for getting on and of the porta potti :lol: My Friends don't believe she is a 16 footer some insist on using a tape measure. She has all the benifits of a 18 footer roled into 16 feet. That is one of the many things I liked about this design the rules change when a boat reaches 17ft in NSW Australia

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:57 am
by terrulian
Great stuff, Salvatore.
What are your plans for the cabin? Are you planning to put a mattress in there?
What is the inspection port just under the companionway for?

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:03 am
by das boot
It looks real good just add water

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:21 pm
by Stuff
Looking great. Is nice to show people the space the boat has in the cabin. That's the reason I decided to build this particular sailboat. I notice in your picture that you closed the access to the inside of the seats. Any particular reason for that?

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:21 am
by Salvatore
G,day all,
Yes to the mattress I am going to make it in two halves so that I can lean them up on eather side to give me access to the forward hatch. the viking hatch under cockpit, on C frame is for inspection and I can store some things in there, If I like it I can put one on the other side as well. I didn't want to spoil the cockpit floor by putting a hatch on it. The hatch on C frame was Jacques idea I am happy he suggested it. I didn't cut out access to under banches as I don't need the extra sleeping places, but the benches in the cockpit open up so I can store stuff in them, life jackets, and so-on, it was like that on my prevoius boat and I liked it. I am running out of cash But I have scored all the spars off a "hobby 16" free :) I will make that work for now. I already have the sail as per plan, she looks great I love the full length battons. I hope to be sailing in a few weeks time. I am really happy with the way she has turned out the cabin is bigger than I imagend and the look and feel is spot on. I cain't make my mined up on the outboard, there is the Suzuki 2.5 and the Honda 2.3 What do you blokes suggest would be better?

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:08 am
by terrulian
Cool. Is that forward hatch behind you for an anchor locker?

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 am
by Stuff
I never had a boat but I had a few Honda products in my life and never had any issues with them. Today I drive a Honda FIT to work ( I think is call a Jazz over there) and it has over 120K miles with no issues ( only oil changes, brake pads and tires). I am putting a Honda outboard to Karenina when the times comes. They have a 2.4HP model that is air cooled and only weights 23lbs but it does not have an altenator or a starter. Probably get solar panes to charge a deep cycle battery and power all my electronic devices. I am a mechanical engineer but my speciality is reliability engineering. During many years in the airline and marine industry the biggest failure mode of all the product I helped design was corrosion ( that is how I knew SS steel wil corode if it is exposed to chlorine/salt). Having an engine that does not need to interact with salt water ( execpt for the propeller) is a big plus to me. If you open any marine engine after a few years of used you will find all kinds of corrosion inside the eshaust manifolds and even worst, inside the block. Just my opinion.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:45 pm
by Salvatore
Yes, it is, the anchor,rope and chain fits in easerly it was an extra bulkhead I put in to help support the deck stepped mast and bowsprit. Go to page 2 of this thread and you will see pictures of it, or type AD16 in the builders gallery all my pictures are there.

I like the idea of the Honda outboard as you don't have to flush the motor out after use, the only downside was that it is a little bit noisier than its rivals but when you add the corrosive factor it looks like the better deal

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 pm
by das boot
On this boat I find it has a high bow that catches a lot of wind while trying to get to the dock I had a 3 HP on it for a number of years and it had all it could do at times to handel the wind but it did work so the 2.5 should work as long as you are carefull yoou should have a lot of fun with it. I upgraded to a 6 hp 4 stroke 2 years ago and it works finne I want to see pictures of it in the water.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:02 am
by Salvatore
G,day George, I think that you may be right the 2.5 might not be enough grunt, one of the reasons for an outboard on a sailing boat is to get you out of trouble if the weather goes bad. I didn't want to have a seperate tank to the outboard. I am looking at a tohatsu 3.5hp 2 stroke they also have a 4hp 4 stroke. The 3.5 is $250 less than the Honda 2.3, for the cost of 2 Honda's I can buy 3 Tohatsu. The Tohatsu is quieter than the Honda. what do you blokes think :?:

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:50 am
by das boot
Hi Salvator.
I use my motor quite a bit i normley sail on a lake in the mountains that is over 20 miles long and the wind through the day runs west to east so i launch at the west end and it takes me 3-4 hours to get to the east end then after an hour or two saling at that end or fishing I drop the sales and power back with the motor. In the late afternoon the wind comes up quite strong and 3 foot waves are not uncomon on the trip back down the lake. I have a 6 HP Tohatsu on there now it is a little overpowered but I normley run it at 1/2 power. An intresting thing on the Tohatsu is the 4-5-6 are all the same motor to upgrade it you simpley change the carb we did this on a friends motor last year easy to do but the 4 hp should work well for you. I just bought the 6 I got a deal on it the big thing with the 4 stroke is the fuel burn with my old 3.5 I used it for a number of years but to handel the wind i had to keep the power up and it used a lot of fuel the new motor runs the 20 miles and uses about 2 liters to do the trip so it will pay for itself in fule savings if I live long enough.
The other thing it is quiet I find that plesent it is 20 lbs heaver than my old motor but I can live with that.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:44 pm
by Salvatore
G,day George, I only need a outboard to get around the moored boats or if the wind dies and I need it to get back to the ramp, in the 4 years that I had my previous boat only once did I need it to get out of a squal. Your boat is the same as mine, You are the only person with a finished AD16 that is on the forum, I appreciate that. Was the Tohatsu 3.5 easy to use? Did it work well? I only weigh 70kg (154lbs) a heavy motor can be a bit of a task for me

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:29 pm
by das boot
Hi Salvatore
The 3.5 i had on the boat was a 30 year old 2 stroke it did the job around the dock ok it was flat out to give 6 mph the ramp i use has a lot of boats on a summer day and i had to be carful in congestion. it was 20 lbs lighter than the 6 hp and that was nice I am 68 years old and find the 6 hp heavy to move around i understand what you are getting at. It should work you can always upgrade later if you want.
You should find this boat to do what you want i have enjoyed mine and if I was building it again would have few changes it works and even though it is not built as nice as bondos he strives for perfection which shows on his boat mine is no as well finished but it works for me. I wish I had spent more time on the inside i could have had that nicer the outside looks good and it still gets comments ar the ramp so I am happy with it. The cabin is used manley for storage i keep a rubber raft in there to get to shore as well as everything else fishing gear nets etc by the time i get tackle boxes camp stove and all the junk my grand daughter and her friends bring along it gets filled up I use it at times to get out of the sun and have a nap but it adds to the lines of the boat the idea of just an opened boat did not appeal to me

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:20 am
by Salvatore
Thankyou for your help George, I would have gotton the Honda 2.5 and not been happy with it, I think the best weight to horse power for our boat is 5hp to 6hp but thats just to heavy for me. I have chosen the Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke outboard it is quiet, clean and gutsy has a inbuilt fuel tank and only weighs 18kg (39lbs) I think the 2.5hp is OK for the AD14 but I could be wrong.

I have made a few rooky mistakes, eg the rudder is not strong enough And Ive had to beaf it up If I could do it again I would go to the trouble of doing it as per plan a get the SS rod thingy to work I can do that later-on and don't have the money and the will to do it now and I wish I had the space for the mast I would have had the drop down the hole setup as per plan, for me the step mast works better plus I am using all the free spars I scored. I also miss calculated my cockpit floor height, I am a few inchs lower than the plan. All in all I am very happy with the changes I made and I am only days away from putting it in the water :)

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 am
by das boot
Hi Salvatore
I was a little consurned about your rudder but did not want to say aney thing about it their can be a lot of pressure on it you can feal it on the tiller on my set up if i was doing it again I WOULD MAKE MY RIDDER an inch or two wider and shortin it by a few inches i have trailered my boat with the rudder in place but when i lanch it for some reason it popped off the boat somthing to do with the way my traler set up is it hit the ramp and i have a bunch of led in the bottom of the rudder so it would be hard to change it takes only about 15 minits to get the mast up and get in the water and the same to put it away not bad. I use to pcv pipes one the fits into the rudder mounts and one the fits into the mast step to hold the mast while in transet cheep to make and works well you will find things out as you work with it to make thing work better keep the pictures coming i have not seen aney thing from BONDO latley i hope he is ok pardon the spelling but it is 3am and am half sleeply

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:59 pm
by Salvatore
G,day Jacques, I have good news a little bad news. I am not finished with the rigging but I wanted to check my waterline to see if I needed to do anything about it, I say this because I know that I had used more resin in the bottom of the boat not because it needed it but because of my lack of experience. The boat sits dead flat to the water line but is high by about 35mm (one and a half inches) all around with no one on board and no stuff. Do I need to add more lead or is that OK :?:

The bad news is that I have a little leak :( , the boat was in the water for about 2 hours and she took on about half a bucket of water, I finally found the hole I could not see it from below but when I opened the top of the CB case I could, the hole it is no bigger than 2mm wide (1 sixteenth of an inch) talk about bad luck :cry: I am hoping to have her in the water and sailing soon will post pictures then. Thanx Salvatore

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:30 pm
by ks8
I just saw the pictures. Nice! 8)

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:23 pm
by terrulian
Of the boat in the water? Where did you see them? I can't find them in the gallery.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:59 am
by Salvatore
G,day all, when I put the boat in the water to check the trailer and other things I didn't take any pictures, I think Ks8 is talking about my latest pictures in the last few pages. I have not had my official launch yet. What I wanted to know was The boat sits dead flat to the water line but is high by about 35mm (one and a half inches) all around with no one on board and no stuff. Do I need to add more lead or is that OK :?:

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm
by ks8
I saw the pictures from the previous pages. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:14 pm
by terrulian
Salvatore, I'd love to help but this is definitely a Jacques question.

Sorry to hear about the leak 8O . Hopefully it is a quick fix :D . Let us know how it goes.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:05 pm
by das boot
Hi. I would not worry about it I did the same thing I stuck mine in the water before it was even painted just to see how it was going to sit I found the same thing it road high but after I got all the rest of the junk that goes inside it rides fine. I did find I had to shift some weight from mid ship to the bow about 50 Lbs as I found it riding high and the bow was not braking the water so it was kind of plowing through the water not cutting through it. After I shifted the weight I gained about 2 MPH on speed but each boat it diferent so you will just need to play with it a bit send pictures

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:28 am
by jacquesmm
Salvatore wrote:G,day all, when I put the boat in the water to check the trailer and other things I didn't take any pictures, I think Ks8 is talking about my latest pictures in the last few pages. I have not had my official launch yet. What I wanted to know was The boat sits dead flat to the water line but is high by about 35mm (one and a half inches) all around with no one on board and no stuff. Do I need to add more lead or is that OK :?:

It shows that you did a good job. It is good news.
When I calculate weights, I have to guess how well the builder is going to work. Many add a little bit of glass here and there or add a small thing and the boat easily floats too low. Just excessive epoxy can add 30 kg. I use a good safety margin.
I also consider that the boat will be loaded with gear, ground tackle and "stuff".
As you load the boat, she will go down and settle at the waterline. If she still floats too high, you can add some lead but wait a few weeks, take her sailing first. You will probably add gear as you go.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:43 am
by Salvatore
G,day all I have Launched and sailed my boat today, goto finished boat section :D

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

Congratulations on Your successful launching.

I have just one problem I cant see any pictures of it under finished boats section.
I really want to see Your finished Adelie.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:19 am
by jacquesmm
Karl, you can see the pictures in the non-technical section.

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:27 pm
by Salvatore
G,day jacques, thankyou for your help on the rudder, I had a length of SS bar in the garage I bolted one on either side of the rudder body and blade I also increased the bolt size to the tiller arm and blade, It looks like it works OK, promise not to go racing in the north atlantic sea with it :) When I get time I will build a new rudder as we discussed.

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:53 pm
by terrulian
Looks strong to me. I like the custom, I assume, tiller extension. What is that piece of lumber being held by the clamp on the transom?

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:21 pm
by jacquesmm
The rudder should be fine.

That vertical piece of wood probably supports the boom.

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:55 pm
by Salvatore
terrulian wrote: I assume, tiller extension. What is that piece of lumber being held by the clamp on the transom?
The "ronstan"tiller extender allows me to sit or stand next to the cabin door, I can control tiller, main and Jib from that position

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:44 pm
by terrulian
I didn't think Ronstan made a wooden one...but I guess since you put it in quotes it's your version of "ronstan" :D.
So is Jacques right about holding up the boom?

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:10 pm
by Salvatore
Oops, :) I got mixed up with what you wrote

The timber fence pailing is supporting the mast when in transit

Ronstan do a lot of sailing stuff here in Australia, they make the SS joint. The wooden rod was made by me :lol: http://www.ronstan.com/marine/

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:19 am
by das boot
Just a thought on the mast bracket for traveling the way I did it was to use a hunk of 1.5 inch pcv piping I made up a u shaped piece for the top of it for the mast to sit in then I made up 3 brackets and pop riveted them to the pcv and they fit into the rudder mounts easy to mount and cheep to build it has worked well. I am glad to see how you fixed the rudder that is where I thought the week point was. When do we see more pictures?

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:10 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

I like the picture of your boat from transom view. It really looks perfect.
It looks as if you put the seats lower than per plan, because I also see two additional holes in the transom for the water to flow out.
Does that mean you adjusted frame D accordingly ?

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:42 pm
by Salvatore
The bench hight was to high for me and since I did not need the extra two berths I lowered it, I removed the wings and added just a little extra height on the side for a back rest, (I have two strips of titanium in my lower back and need the support for my back). The bench seat opens up so a made a small gully around the side and back of the benchs that flow into the two holes that you see, just incase it is raining or I should take on water. The round white scuppers at deck height are a one way type, they stop water comming in when I get hit by a wave from the stern and let the water flow out, if I take on water. I was worried that I would have made the back half of the boat heavy But happily that was not the case. with a 3.5 horsepower motor on the back and 4 adults in the cockpit the back of the boat sits correctly on the waterline. If you look at the pictures in this thread or goto builders galleries and type AD16 in the serch engine you will see all the pictures of my boat as I was building it and you can see how I did it. All my pictures are tagged as Salvatore's AD16 or click on link below

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=88338

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 pm
by ks8
Thank you for those details. :)

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:29 am
by jacquesmm
Keep in ind that the flush deck benches have several functions.

They allow to have two nice roomy berths under them.

They put the cockpit sole high, very nice for draining and just flush with the top of the CB.

And above all: safety. They put volume very high. IF that boat very capsizes, she will float high and unstable and right herself back very quickly.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Jaques and Salvatore,

I was just nosy about the benches, I will build them flush with the transom. Is it adviseable to put a gas box on the port side next to the transom like George did ( accessable from the top) ?

Salvatore I was looking at all your over 100 pictures and I must again congratulate for having such a nice doku about your boat build. I found again a lot of detail which I can use. We have Winter here in Austria, so I am stopped playing with epoxy till April. But your fast build is a big encouragement for all of us Adelie builders. Please post also pictures of you sailing Angelina.

Greetings from Karl

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:23 am
by Salvatore
G,day Karl, It all depends on if you need the berth space inside or not, what George did is realy nice, if you do it like George did make sure you put a good seal on it so that the contents does not get wet.

PS: I have added pictures of my boat with the sails up. Goto non technical messages, finished boats.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:35 am
by Salvatore
G,day all, I have made a youtube clip of my boat please check it out :)

new link http://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:13 am
by glossieblack
Well done Salvatore. 8) Enjoy the summer! :D

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 am
by gonandkarl
I like your slideshow and can only agree that you should enjoy Summer.
We are freezing at 1 degree Celsius.

Greetings Karl

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:04 pm
by ks8
Thanks to the video, I have now seen your seats and cockpit sole. Hadn't seen them before. Very nice! 8)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:41 pm
by Salvatore
G,day, Thankyou to all for your kind words. I have inproved the youtube video, fixed spelling mistake :oops: and made pictures bigger with a thankyou to you guys at the end.

http://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Please have a look and tell me if you see if I have any other mistakes or if I can improve it :)

I have been getting people commenting about my boat, they want to know where it comes from who built it etc, they want to know where they can see the plans

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:58 pm
by bondo
Really great Salvatore. I think your rig (and the whole boat) is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:59 pm
by Cracker Larry
Awesome video 8) I need to learn how to do that. You might could improve on the music :lol:

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:54 pm
by terrulian
A little more Buffett? :lol:

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:34 pm
by peter-curacao
terrulian wrote:A little more Buffett? :lol:
Son of a son of a sailor :wink:

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
I like the new video the same as the previous one. Being a bit to old and heavy for a boatbuilder I have to make lots of pauses and thats when I like browsing in the forum and your video is my newest hit. It shows me exactly what I still have to do.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:32 pm
by BB Sig
Beautiful boat. You should be proud of that one.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:20 pm
by Salvatore
G,day Jacques,
I have added 40kg about half a meter from the bow, it now sails closer to the wind and more upright, the bow in now cutting through the water and not sliding over it. Question is, do I need to add more glass to that forward section or is it OK :?:

Picture of boat with extra ballast, the stern is high in this picture but when you add 160kg of crew weight it is lower. As always thankyou for your time.

my youtube clip http://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:16 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
I like the newest picture of Your boat. It is clear that it is higher at the transom without any crew but did You add the 40 KG of ballast at the bow in additin to the suggested removable ballast of 55 KG which should be placed in front of frame B ?

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:03 am
by jacquesmm
That is why I call it trim ballast. The smaller the boat, the more sensitive it is to the crew and gear weight and that is why I reserved a portion of the ballast to trim the boat.
Also, some builder build heavy others light. Light is better BTW.
No need to add any glass but sail her a little more and if you feel that the ballast will stay there, find a way to secure it.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:11 pm
by das boot
Hi Salvatore, I found the same on my boat the bow was ridding on top of the water with the added weight it cuts through how are you making out getting any water time in ?

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:16 am
by Salvatore
I have gone out 6 times, I really enjoy sailing her. In light or strong winds she is a fun boat.
gonandkarl wrote: did You add the 40 KG of ballast at the bow in additin to the suggested removable ballast of 55 KG which should be placed in front of frame B ?
The 16footer needs more ballast than the 14 footer, I am about 30kg over on my ballast amount, and further forward than on the plan. I used a high grade light weight marine ply and was careful when I did the fairing not to overdo it. I also think I ended up with less weight in the stern with the way I did my storage bunks. The changes I made means that The boat is for closed waters only, I will never take her out the heads and into the pacific ocean. For a younger experienced sailer looking to use the boat for coastal hoping they need to build true to the plan

My Youtube clip http://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:03 pm
by jacquesmm
I remember that, in my calculations, I placed 50 lbs (20 Kg) of ground tackle forward.
Anyway, it is good to have a light boat. It is easy to add a little ballast but impossible to shave weight of the hull.
Even built light, this boat is strong.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:14 pm
by terrulian
The changes I made means that The boat is for closed waters only, I will never take her out the heads and into the pacific ocean.
Jeesh. It's a 16-foot boat and a centerboarder at that. I don't even take my 22-ft. swing keel boat out in the ocean. SF Bay is plenty gnarly for me.
For a younger experienced sailer looking to use the boat for coastal hoping they need to build true to the plan
Speaking of young sailors, I was out singelhanded last summer with breezes in the high 20s and scared the hell out of myself...but in a fun way 8O . I did think, though, "this is a job for a teenager with no sense, not a sober-minded, sensible grown-up."

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

I am jealous that you can sail your boat already and I am still battling along. But today I have epoxied the 2 big longitudinal stringers. I will put 2K foam between the sides, sole, bottom and stringers. This should not add too much weight and make the boat near unsinkable, even that I wont get near an Ocean like You have in Australia. But installation of the stringers will have to wait till the end of January, because my wife wanted to sail in something bigger than my AD14 and therefore we are going on a 2 week cruise in the carribean islands, meaning a nice holiday of fireing up the coal stove in my boat building shed. I am just not loooking forward to the long flight by plane to get there.

I wish You fair winds for your next sail and hope that You can show us a picture ore 2 of it whilst sailing. Just lend your camera with a good tele to someone on land and we can see the captain of Angelina on the water.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:31 pm
by Salvatore
terrulian wrote:

. It's a 16-foot boat and a centerboarder at that. I don't even take my 22-ft. swing keel boat out in the ocean. SF Bay is plenty gnarly for me"
Actually Adelie 16 is a weighted swing keel. Lots of people sail their 20ft plus boats up the coast from Sydney. Australia has a very strong sailing culture, we are the ones who first took the Americas Cup from the U.S. We have many stop points like Pittwater and Newcastle where you can find safety if the weather changes. But as you said it can get scarey for a small boat, to scarey for me 8O I am quite content to sail in Sydney Harbour or Pittwater directly no ocean sailing, some may consider me a scardy cat but I'm not budging :D

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:06 pm
by terrulian
That's what I have, a weighted swing keel although mine is solid steel so the righting moment is different.
Just because people do things doesn't mean they are safe to do.
I don't have any idea what the sailing conditions are offshore in your area, but the coast of Northern California can get very ugly without warning. Some of my most difficult days at sea have been right off the coast. Not too unusual to see 30 knots and 12-15 foot seas and fog, all of which can come up in an hour or two, and of course San Francisco is one of the busiest ports on the west coast so we have shipping lanes to stay clear of. The whole coast is normally a lee shore. Plenty of shipwrecks on the bottom around here. I am not the least fond of macho sailors, and I know a few, who imply others are scaredy cats. The sea doesn't give a groat how brave you are. Joshua Slocum and Eric Tabarly were plenty brave and a thousand times better sailors than I am. The sea was, apparently, not sufficiently impressed, and killed them anyway.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 pm
by Salvatore
terrulian wrote:I am not the least fond of macho sailors, and I know a few, who imply others are scaredy cats. The sea doesn't give a groat how brave you are.
:lol: A healthy respect for the sea goes a long way. Actually 30 years ago I got stuck in a squall, smack in the middle of Sydney Harbour on a 14 footer, my poor friend who had never gone sailing before was beside himself with fear needless to say he never came sailing with me ever again :lol:

For myself I love sailing and as long as you take appropriate care there is never a reason for concern. That is why I like my Adelie 16, it is very well designed and far exceeds any safety concern I may have.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:32 pm
by terrulian
The old sailor's expression is: There are three stages in sailing: novice, paranoid, retired. I am in the paranoid stage but as a novice, I worried about almost nothing. Not looking forward to retirement just yet :D . Please continue to share your adventures and observations about the boat!!

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:59 pm
by Salvatore
G,day all, some footage of my boat in a very light breeze, sorry about the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmeKJA621AA

My Youtube clip made late 2014 http://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:30 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

What a beautiful sailing video.
That is exactly what I wanted to see from your Adelie. In my thoughts I am also nearly as far but in reality I am hoping to be able to splash at the earliest end of August.
It must be real nice sailing right now in sunny Australia. My son who is on a world trip and is right now in Australia told me by email that he has booked a 3 day sailing trip to witsunday island in the next few days. I am suprised because he was not even interested in me building a sailing boat. Maybe he gets the taste of sailing over on your side of the world and when he will be back in June I hope to show him my Adelie 14 ready for turning over.

At any rate your video is a fantastic boost to me carrying on building hard.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:26 am
by jacquesmm
Very nice sailing. She moves nicely in that very light wind despite some chop. You got her in her lines question of weight distribution.
Thank you for posting the video.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 pm
by ks8
Nice 8)

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:55 pm
by Barn Lancaster
It's great to see a boat underway ,it keeps us going !

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm
by terrulian
Yes, thanks for posting. That is very good performance for light air...she never loses steerage. :D

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:25 pm
by Salvatore
G,day all, got some pics of Angelina moving along at around 8 knots in a 15knot wind, she is such a stable boat I am thinking of adding some more sail. There is a picture of us sailing alongside Wild oats ( a famous Sydney to Hobart Racer ) By the way does anyone know what AD16 hull speed is?

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z3MuI9Awisupeh_7dw

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:48 am
by Cracker Larry
Dang she sure looks good under sail 8)

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:57 am
by terrulian
Hull speed of any displacement boat in knots is 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length. Here's the calculator:
http://www.sailingcourse.com/keelboat/c ... _speed.htm
I don't see the LWL listed on the Bateau site so you'll have to get that from Jacques or perhaps it is in your plans. But by the looks of it, the Adelie 16 has an almost plumb bow so the LWL and LOA will be nearly the same, at least to the degree of accuracy required here. So: sqrt. of 16 is 4, times 1.34 = 5.36 knots.
Our powerboat friends go much faster for a given waterline since the boat has a planing hull and plenty of power.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:02 am
by terrulian
I should add the boat looks beautiful and appears very stable. Maybe you could add some more sail! :help:
However, by the looks of the water, this appears to be less than 15 knots of breeze...and remember, if the weather gets snotty you need to be able to shorten sail. :D

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:09 am
by jacquesmm
Hull speed is just a theoretical figure. In a good breeze, the AD16 should get to about 5 knots.
Nice pictures.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 pm
by ks8
Beautiful! Thanks for the pictures Salvatore! 8)

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:34 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and asking the question about hull speed. At last I know that my AD14 s hull speed will be around 5 knots.
I wish I would be sailing like you already. My idols for building my boat are bondo and you and it is really hard to come to the correct compromise of your 2 building methods. Bondo produced a painstakingly perfect boat which I am sure will never see any water and you who built this beautiful boat as fast like a magician pulls the rabbit out of the hat and has it sailing with lots of nice modifications ( second hatch and lower seats ) and has not forgotten the quality besides it. I am thinking there of the perfect paint job you did on Angelina.

I hope to be able to do still lots of sailing in my boat and take it therefore from you to be aim orientated and get occasionally stuck in for long hours and have decided that I want to splash my boat at the end of this Summer ( end of August or first week of September )

Fair winds and greetings to you from Karl ( Austria )

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:00 pm
by Salvatore
G,day Karl, For some reason I missed this post, I have good news concerning Bondo, he has not given up on his boat, this is from part of an email I got from George.
I had a phone number for bondo I just gave Bondo a phone call and got him he is just doing some work on the new mast and is glassing so we could not talk long but he is still working on his boat should be in the water in the spring. It was good to here from him.
I enjoy being part of this forum and thankyou for the compliment, I think that for an ex-office worker who never used any tools in the past, your work is extremely good. You could have fooled me, I would have assumed that you where a construction or machine worker.

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z3MuI9Awisupeh_7dw

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:47 pm
by Salvatore
G,day all. I have made a youtube clip of "Cool Change" Terry Harding's AD16. It is now on my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z3MuI9Awisupeh_7dw

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
Thanks for putting Hardings AD16 on you tube it gave me again a boost to more perfection and to move on a bit faster.
Even that I have realized that I cant get my boat into the water this summer, I am sure it will be summer 2016.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:12 am
by SP
Your AD16 looks great on the water. Congratulations!!

From your feedback, it seems Jacques has once again delivered and has met his design goals.

The Adelie series are suppose to be camp cruisers able to make short offshore passages, such as across the gulf stream to the Bahamas, so being slightly under canvassed is to be expected.

I really like the design. All the storage space, cabin room, cockpit size, large amount of buoyancy and stability etc..... make it a great design.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:03 am
by jacquesmm
For more speed, get large cruising spinnaker.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:27 am
by Salvatore
G,day, SP. Thankyou for your kind words, I have made a much bigger Jib for her over our winter, i also made a spinnaker pole for it I am hoping to test it next week, The new jib adds about 4.5 square meters of sail area. I made it out of Kevlar it was a jib from a 40ft racing boat that was given to me that had damaged edging I cut the best section out of it strengthen the new ends by overlaying pieces of Kevlar on the corners and added a SS cable in the leading edge to go from the top of the mast to the bowsprit. I am hoping that it will work to windward, when I built my boat I had added a forward section on my keel so I could roll the boat up onto a trailer I am hoping that will do the trick. I really enjoy the her, she is very easy to sail very forgiving,has lots of space from her big fat hull and is easy to modify so that you have just the boat you want.

(the camera distorts image a bit, it is wider at the bottom than it looks on the picture)
(Pole is hardwood with simple hook at one end and part I used from an old catamaran, to buy a pole in Sydney costs start from $250 so made this one, cost $35)

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:39 am
by terrulian
Are you using that pole as a whisker pole then, to hold the clew outboard when sailing downwind?

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:37 pm
by Salvatore
Yes

Videos of my boat and other AD16s on my Youtube Channel:

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:01 pm
by terrulian
Right...whisker pole for wing and wing. Cool. :D
I know you have different names for things down there like "headie" and "brace" where we'd say "headsail" and "guy". So I don't know what you call a pole like that but in the states it's a "whisker pole."

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:23 pm
by Salvatore
Whisker pole is the correct term, thankyou :)

Videos of my boat and other AD16s on my Youtube Channel:

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm
by Salvatore
G,day all,
Picture of my home made Jib and Whisker pole in action sailing down wind
Picture of Angelina on the beach with Jib up

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:06 pm
by terrulian
Wow, looks good to me.
:D

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:50 pm
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
Your boat looks really nice with the new jib and I like the fact that you always find a place to beach the boat. Here in Austria all the lakes have only got rocky shores and the only place I will be gettiing to the shore is at a slip. Nevertheless I will also build the piece of wood in front of the keel shoe like you did for protection should I ever be able to beach the boat in the Adriatic sea.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:10 pm
by Cracker Larry
Good looking sail set for down wind 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 pm
by Salvatore
G'day, All.

I Know that this has nothing to do with my boat, But I think some of you would like to look at the Pizza Oven I made. I have also created a YouTube Video https://youtu.be/4_uN359xb7g

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 am
by das boot
This is a man with a lot of talent what will you come up with next a small steam engine to power your boat when the wind goes down. Just kidding it looks real good what ever you build take care and good sailing

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:49 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
What a professionally built pizza oven, I love it. You just do not show it in action. Naturally I have a question: How did you get the wooden mould out after it was already all covered with oven proof plaster ?
I also love the music in your video a favourit song of me and my wife.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria ) for whom it is the greatest to holiday in Italy at the Adriatic sea and eat pizza.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:23 am
by Salvatore
Thanks for the compliments, I used small nails in the plywood that way I was able to pop the front piece off then pull the timbers out then drag the back piece of ply out.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 am
by terrulian
Wow, Salvatore, you're a true artiste! I don't know nuthin' about no masonry.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:25 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's beautiful 8)

I built an outside BBQ pit/smoker out of brick, not nearly as nice as that. And I learned that I'm no brick mason :help:

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:42 pm
by ks8
Now show us the pizza... :D

Nice 8)

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:43 am
by Salvatore
ks8 wrote:Now show us the pizza... :D Nice 8)
Cooks Pizzas in under 2 minutes

https://youtu.be/4_uN359xb7g

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:31 pm
by ks8
That's what I'm talking about! 8) :D

I may have just ruined my screen checking if that second picture is scratch'n'sniff.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:53 pm
by ks8
The second picture is now my screen background for this week. 8)

Then it goes back to this...

From the movie Joe vs the Volcano, in the style of some sailing paintings and drawings found in some funeral homes... what is wrong with this picture? No, its not the media player controls - that's only sloppy editing. There is something else VERY wrong. :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:49 pm
by Cracker Larry
The moon is upside down.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 pm
by terrulian
Why is that, Larry? I really get confused about the moon phases even though I've spent some time contemplating it. Here's a series of pictures on the phases. You'll see that #4, a waxing crescent, is approximately what you see in the painting:

Maybe the problem is that the moon is on the other side of the boat, but the moonlight seems to be shining on the side of the jib and staysail that is towards us?
I like this puzzle.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:28 pm
by terrulian
Or how about this? We can't see the starboard sidelight, which should appear green from this angle, but we can see the sternlight, which we shouldn't be able to see at all...how about that?

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:52 pm
by Cracker Larry
And she has no mast head light. Red over green is a sailing machine.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:13 pm
by ks8
In the movie, if I remember, the sternlight was an all around lantern. Tricky. I don't recall if in that scene the boat was motor sailing or not, but yes, some lights are missing or technically incorrect. That, however, is something wrong with the lights on the boat, and not exactly something wrong with the *picture*. :lol: My bad. I wasn't clear enough. But good catch on the starboard light too. However, there is something wrong with the picture, if you will, a depiction of a violation of the laws of nature. Larry caught one, Tony the other. It does have to do with the moon, but again, a little tricky, with two possible observations...

1- We're looking at a moon in crescent, in which case it is upside down. Think of a sphere lit partially from a point source of light. If the white portion is being lit by another source of light, resulting in that shape, then where should that source of light be located in this case? Up and to the right, *beyond the moon*. In which case, if that is where the sun is located, just out of the frame of the picture, then it should be broad daylight. Even if there were black clouds in front of the sun ray path to the boat, putting the boat in a surreal large dark shadow (I've seen this sort of thing), the sunlight should still be making the rest of the sky bright shining blue where there are no clouds, yet some stars are visible. So, the *crescent moon*, if it is a crescent moon, is upside down.

2- OR -- We're looking at a solar eclipse, which might also explain the shape in the sky. The picture doesn't show any crater detail on the object, so it *might* be a solar eclipse (in a lunar eclipse the earth's shadow is never that clear a shape on the moon). Since I make no mention of the movie's context at this point, it *might* be a solar eclipse, and if that is the case, then what is wrong with it? This is more subtle, for if that is the case, then the lighting on the jib isn't quite right. The starboard side has bright highlights even though the light source is on the port side. Tony caught that one. The boat should be pointed closer to the eclipse for that sort of lighting to happen on the sails. And if it is a solar eclipse, that is far too much sun showing to make the sky that dark with stars visible.

But the greater question... why is it that the majority of funeral homes I have been in, have had those wind direction or other detail sailboat puzzle paintings or drawings in the lobby or down in the waiting area? There might be smoke from a smoke stack, and a wind blown flag clearly showing a particular strong wind direction, while half the sails are set correctly, and the other boats are either backwards or hove to, but have a bone in their teeth anyway. Or are close hauled but heeled the wrong way? A customer of years ago had a nice print in his living room with a very subtle moon problem. I missed it until he pointed it out, and it was a tough one to spot. I don't even remember what it was now, but once pointed out, it was glaring. :lol: I think he liked spotting these things too. He had other paintings for seaside locations he knew, where the moon or sun was definitely painted on the wrong side of the sky, where it could never be, but those are tough to spot if one is not so well traveled, or otherwise unfamiliar with the geography of the location.

Maybe it is simply an odd correlation in the universe, of people I know, and the decorators of funeral homes where those I knew are remembered when they pass out of this world, that these types of paintings are so often there. If so, that's one freaky odd correlation! If you spot me starring at a sailboat painting in a funeral home or restaurant, you know what I'm looking for. :LOL: Its mostly due to knowing that some of these paintings are done that way deliberately -- or -- that it is accidental, and funeral home owners or decorators are unaware of such details? Yes, another profound mystery of life......

But then again... :lol: The very first time I took my CV16 out for a sail, the winds around and over Falls Lake were such that they made a big circular wind pattern over the entire basin. The hills and geography created a pattern of fans that enabled me to make one of the rounds around the basin without ever tacking or gybing. There was another sailboat out that day. If someone had snapped a picture and then made a painting, it might have been a painting of a wind situation that might seem impossible, by the ways the sails were set, and the directions of the boats, but was actually a very unusual wind pattern over the basin. At least the sun and moon were where they belong! :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:56 pm
by terrulian
I need to give this a little more study, but it's late. More tomorrow.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:55 am
by ks8
Or it may be that it needs no more study at all! But that could be the wee hours speaking.... :lol:

I hope the tangent on your thread was alright Salvatore... compatible with pizza? :)

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:38 pm
by terrulian
ks,
In regard to #1: I always thought this was obvious but then was somehow confused (and still am) by the notion that the moon appears upside down in the southern hemisphere. If I think about it too long my mind starts flipping around like a wounded snake, and the "obvious" part disappears. I still believe you're right, however...but can't be sure I can visualize it beyond the "obvious," that the sun must be above the horizon for the crescent to appear on the upper limb of the moon.

Also, you seem to spend too much time looking at paintings in funeral parlors. 8O That said, I think the great maritime artists usually know enough to get the details right, and take pride in that.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:53 pm
by Cracker Larry
What else can we deduce? She is running almost dead down wind with main and mizzen set for a starboard tack, but jib and stay sails are both set for port tack. I wouldn't have rigged it that way for that wind. I would set the main and mizzen wing and wing, and put at least one head sail on a whisker pole. Both head sails appear to be luffing, they are not set right. And the moon light is shining on the wrong side of the sail, and she needs some running lights, and I don't care what ya'll say, that moon is upside down :D

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:45 pm
by Salvatore
Hey Guys I think the eating of more Pizza with a few beers is in order :D This looks to me to be a Solar Eclipse and not Lunar, that is why you don't see the starboard light :roll: Although I could be wrong :wink: . Obviously the sun in the boat picture is covered more than the picture below.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:07 am
by das boot
How are you doing my friend you have summer all we get this time of the year is wind and rain standard Vancouver

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:43 am
by Salvatore
das boot wrote:How are you doing my friend you have summer all we get this time of the year is wind and rain standard Vancouver
I am well, and My family is well too. The weather has been great for sailing and tends to be that way 9 months in the year in beautiful Sydney Australia. The boat has been a lot of fun, and the bigger Jib I made really pushes it along on all points. She is such a safe and sturdy boat even when a gust of wind grabs her and she leans right over I have no concern as she pops right up in a flash. I am even looking at the idea of making a gaff rig for it so that I can make a huge mainsail for it and use it on those really light breeze days. I am so happy I made a cabin mount for the mast in a tabernacle style it works extremely well I have no problems with it. She turns a lot of heads and I gets lots of compliments for her design and build, At 16ft she is a great "pocket ship" and I am very happy with her. I have made a big change to the hatch as I wanted to be able to walk right upto the mast base without having to go down into the cabin and then come up via the smaller hatch it was a failed attempt by me to get around a problem I have. the original design hatch I could not comfortably reach the mast base, wile wearing a life jacket, It was the one thing about the design of the boat that I did not like. the plan design is OK if you are a tall person 6ft but not if you are 5ft 2in tall. there is no comfortable way of being on the cabin roof when under sail. This change works extremely well for me and the boat is more like and open boat with the added advantage of still having a cabin. I have made a new hatch that covers the longer opening. I am still working on some fittings for it and I am almost done. This change has not stopped me from going sailing. I will post some pictures of the new hatch when it is all done.

How are you and your family, I recall that your good wife was not well, has she recovered?

Kind Regards,
Salvatore

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:55 am
by das boot
I had the same problem that deck is quite small and getting out to the front of the jib was tricky I changed my rigging so I can now do it all from the cockpit it makes it better for me. I intent to change my mast mounting along the lines of what you did I will make mine out of aluimum but along the same idea just getting to old to step it any other way.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:12 am
by Salvatore
G,day All, Pictures as promised. I still need to make up some ribber seals and install some SS clips. The hatch justs sits inside the cabin when I don't need it and that is 95% of the time.
I made the top of the CB wider and flat so that I could use it as a seat and added this rosewood table, works really well
Porter potty fits in with space to spare.
Regards Salvatore

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:57 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
I like your pictures of the new hatch and am specially excited because of the close ups because there I see the most how its done.
I also like the idea of a seat just inside the cabin. On one picture into the cabin there is a bit of your centre board winch to see. What type of winch are you using there ? I am asking because I know now already that the 60+ kilos to pull up with a rope I wont manage.
Keep pictures coming as often as you take some.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:08 am
by glossieblack
G'day Salvatore of Sydney,

For a long time I've been impressed by your innovation. Congratulations on a great build, and the way you've beefed up your rig to fly, fly, fly 8) 8)

Sydney's waterways are a fantastic theatre in which to fly. Keep the innovations coming :!:

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:06 am
by terrulian

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:25 pm
by Salvatore
gonandkarl wrote: I also like the idea of a seat just inside the cabin. On one picture into the cabin there is a bit of your centre board winch to see. What type of winch are you using there ? I am asking because I know now already that the 60+ kilos to pull up with a rope I wont manage.
G,day Karl The idea for the seat happened because George said that he had slipped on the angled part of the CB more than once so I decided to put an even section in, I made it wider and offset it so that it would be closer to the table. I did do a little cheat when I was building my boat my CB is a solid slab of Stainless Steel, it weighs 70 kg, I got that idea from another boat design. I used a small 3to1 SS winch (cost AU $99) I crimped the cable at the right depth so I did not let the CB go down to far. it has worked extremely well for me. The winch does not get in my way and is a reminder not to forget to lift the CB when cumming ashore. I only have the winch handle on when using the winch.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:45 pm
by terrulian
Wow, that stainless centerboard must have cost a bundle.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:38 pm
by Salvatore
Yes it did, :D I have friends who could get the laser cutting done cheep but it still cost a bomb 8O (AU $600) I still consider it a great investment, it is 10mm thick I did the fairing of the edges. It is so easy to damage a CB and I did not want to spend hours on end repairing CB damage and it is hard to get to after it is installed. I like to beach my boat so it seamed prudent to me. It has worked well and put more ballast weight deep into the water.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:34 pm
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
Thank you for the good pictures of your seat and winch for the centre board. I will copy both exactly like you have it.
My plywood centreboard was not too difficult to build, I just had the problem that it was my first build of something like this and then one is rather clumsy. If I should ever build a new one I wont make the mistakes of the first one which were a rather poor routing jig to get the form and I did not support the bottoms properly of the 3 holes I poured lead into. The liquid ead went thru my flimsy alu plate underneath and I had to chisel it away after it was hard.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:26 pm
by Salvatore
D,day Karl, I found that the top of the CB case was not thick enough to take a row of SS skrews so I mounted it as image below, you may find a better way or some of the readers may know a better way to do it.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:05 am
by das boot
I to have damaged my keel putting it up on the beech one way to cut down the damage is to have an old chunk of indoor outdoor carpet and drape it from the bow so that as you run up on the beech it goes under the boat

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:35 am
by terrulian
das boot wrote:... have an old chunk of indoor outdoor carpet and drape it from the bow so that as you run up on the beech it goes under the boat
Ummm, I'd sure like to see a video of that maneuver. My offhand guess is that it is not as easy as it sounds. :D

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:47 pm
by das boot
It did work but it was a pain I took the easy way and bought a cheep inflatable and a 12 VDC air pump now I just put out the hook just off shore and go ashor with that our beaches up here are not sand but more gravel I have had to repair the keel a few times as well as the keel box on the bottom. Not a fun job as you get older.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:00 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,

I just read your answer about glassing the outside of our boat and you are right it needs to be glassed up to the gunwale.

Did you really put the glass over the gunwale on your boat ( overlapping the tape of deck and sidepanel ) ?

And while I am at it, I ask you also this:

Why did you put your boat completely upside down to install keel + shoe, fibre glass and painting ? I have to do this work soon and I am in doubt if I should put the boat on its side and then on the other side like in the building notes or if I should do it like you did only in an upside down position ? What was the advantage for you doing it like this ?

Greetings from Karl who is often watching your video to push me forward.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:56 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl,

Quote: "Did you really put the glass over the gunwale on your boat ( overlapping the tape of deck and sidepanel ) ?"

YES I did, and I am happy I did. When my boat takes a hard knock I fear no evil :D

Quote: "Why did you put your boat completely upside down to install keel + shoe, fibre glass and painting ?"

What I did was not to the schedule , but It made sense to me to tip it upside down so that I could do all the bottom and sides at once without having to move it side to side. The Keel is not so heavy that you cannot do it this way. I was able to build my keel housing easerly in place as I had gravity to help me. I laid the layers that make up the keel insitue. It was also easy for me to glass the bottom and sides in that position, it also removed an overlap of glass from bottom to sides. I was able to do a full chemical bond on the whole bottom and sides of the boat without having to sand the overlapping areas. I did the fairing all in one go. (Then I spent many days sanding it 8O that was a lot of hard work) I was able to do the Royal Blue paint all in one go. It looked to me from pictures I saw of other AD16s and AD14s under construction that it was a lot of effort rolling it from side to side I can understand having to do it that way on a bigger boat. I have seen other 16ft boats done my way So it was not something new that I was attempting. I did have a few friends to help me roll it. This is how I rolled the boat over then back again.

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 pm
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the quick answer. I will definitely put my boat upside down like you did for the reasons you mentioned especially moving the hull only once for the work at bottom and sides. Do you mean by chemical bond that you put the tapes along the chines, the glass of the bottom and the sides wet on wet within 24 hours ?
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:04 pm
by Salvatore
gonandkarl wrote:Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the quick answer. I will definitely put my boat upside down like you did for the reasons you mentioned especially moving the hull only once for the work at bottom and sides. Do you mean by chemical bond that you put the tapes along the chines, the glass of the bottom and the sides wet on wet within 24 hours ?
YES I wanted the hull to be as strong as possible. Make doubly sure you have everything ready to go, resin,glass, tools, etc. It would be a good idea to have someone help you that day, have one person making resin and rolling it on and another spreading glass and pressing it down. This makes for a very strong hull. Pay very close attention to the inside of CB case, I ended up with a little hole in the glass inside the case.

If you are going to lift the boat the same way I did, make sure the knots in the ropes that goes around the boat is on the side of the large pulley wheels you are turning the boat away from. You will need two wheels one near the bow and one near the stern. the larger the wheels the better. Have plenty of bricks, blocks of wood to rest the upside down boat on.

On another point concerning the glassing of the gunwale (gun rail :D :D ) because I changed the bench design and created a backrest I needed it to be stronger, The way the designer did it is naturally stronger to begin with and you only need to follow his design instructions
Regards Salvatore
Building Angalina

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:06 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,

As I am very close to turn my boat upside down like you did the more problems arise in my head. I want to put it upside down on my existing rectangular building frame, so I have to support it with temporary cross frames out of wood across the deck and benches area. I want to be able to move it in the room together with the building frame ( has wheels ) a bit to have more work place for the side I am busy with.

You said:
Have plenty of bricks, blocks of wood to rest the upside down boat on
Can you tell me how you supported it and did you do it exactly at frame positions ( A B C D T ) and if so at which ones. I cannot see on your pictures what you had underneath. Did you also protect the deck with pieces of carpet at these supports ?

I think I should not think so much about it, rather just flip it and have old car tyres at the ready like Jacques once suggested.

Greetings from Karl

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:38 am
by jacquesmm
Salvatore will reply but yes, the supports must be at the frames, 2 minimum.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:12 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl, I supported it at four points along the length of the boat, you can't see this from the youtube video because the supports are underneath, I was able to do this because the cabin top was not put on and the supports go from the garage floor to the cabin floor and cockpit floor. I took the rolling frame away and did not use it any longer I wanted the boat to be as close to the floor as possible because I wanted to be able to walk on the upside down boat. this made the glassing, filling, sanding easier :roll:

When rolling the boat back again stop halfway and install your CB as per instructions provided with your plans. When I had rolled my boat back upright I placed it directly onto the trailer. That was the hard part done, the remainder was fun and games. :D

Regards Salvatore
Building Angalina

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:48 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the explanations for the flip. I definitely turn it completely upside down like you did. I am busy building 2 boxes like glossieblack ( also from down under ) which will support frame A and B and the bigger box will support frame D and T. As I have painted the top already I must be very careful not to damage the lot again, so I am using styrofoam wrapped in old linen between the support boxes and the boat.
Yes I want to water the boat next spring something like May 2017. I hope this is realistic, if I only could work as fast as you did. I am pondering too much about every building step.
Can you sail in Australian Winter or do You sail only in the other seasons ?
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:33 pm
by Salvatore
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, is in a Sub-Tropical zone, many people go sailing all year round,there has been many a winter day that I have been down to my t-shirt. That being said the water is cold from around June, July, August and September. When putting the boat in and out of the water it can be unpleasant. I don't go sailing during this time. I am your classic fair weather sailor :D .

The water ways of the New South Wales coast of Australia is paradise for six months of the year, and an English summer in the winter. I came to Australia when I was 3 years old, I love this country, the people are kind, generous and always ready to help, If I need help with the boat on the ramp people are always ready to assist, In all my years I can count on one hand the times people have been mean and rude to me.

Regards Salvatore
Building Angalina

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:31 am
by Salvatore
G,day all,

I have created a small YouTube video of my AD16 sailing in 15knot winds, with the mainsail only, it was a great deal of fun as it powered along in the water and when hit with a 20 knot gust it did not become unsafe or uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdbcyMIeJhI

Regards Salvatore

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:32 am
by glossieblack
Nice vids, and Pittwater(?) looks great. :D

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 am
by Salvatore
Pittwater is north of Sydney, Australia on the east coast and is part of Sydney metro area

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:01 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
I just watched your nice sailing video near Sydney. I am looking forward to sail my Adelie this Year. I have one question about your outboard Tohatsu. Have you got a long or short shaft version ? I am asking because most lifting brackets can lift the motor about 30 to 35 cm ( about one foot ) and your motor looks rather high whilst sailing. Did you mount a standard motor bracket with the mentioned lift
height ? I am starting off with my longshaft electric motor ( MinnKota C20 ) which I could just use attached to the transom but would have to lift up and remove the rudder whilst using it there. That is why I want to mount a motor bracket like you did and dont know where to mount it that it will later on also work for a small Tohatsu like yours.
Greetings from Karl ( snowy and icy Austria )

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl, I have been watching the progress on your boat it is really starting to look the part now, looking forward to seeing it on the water.

Concerning the motor and bracket, mine is a short shaft 3 1/2 horse power motor the long shaft are more expensive, and does not change the distance between up an down position. The swing bracket is a standard type with a max 25kg weight load I think the drop is about 35cm, I am happy with the position of the bracket. When looking at the pictures you will notice that I placed it lower, at first in the top picture I had it too high, it is in the right position to clear the water when not in use and be at the correct depth when down. I don't use the motor to steer, I lock it in place and use the rudder

I am a little concerned about you trusting the little electric motor to get you out of trouble, the AD14 high bow and sides and rigging creates a lot of wind resistance. I have needed the full 3 1/2 HP to get my AD16 out of trouble. The reason I did not go for a bigger motor was I wanted a motor that had its own fuel tank I did not want the issue of a tank rolling around in the cockpit. Please think carefully about your power needs and maybe ask some of the people on the "FORUM" for advise
Bracket was to high :(

Bracket in correct position :D

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 am
by jacquesmm
Salvatore, did you work on that rudder?

PS: the boat looks great.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Jacques, Yes, but the timber was not quite thick enough and there was a concern that it would crack, I added two stainless steel bars one on either side and it works perfectly. The boat has gone out some 50 to sixty times (i have lost count) I am very happy with her. She is a beautiful boat and I always get comments from other boat owners.

Hi Karl, in this picture you can see the bottom of the motor just touches the water in the up position.

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:25 pm
by Jeff
Very nice!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 am
by Salvatore
Question from my Google account:

Paul DiCarlo
Paul DiCarlo11 hours agoHighlighted comment
A very nice build. Is there room in it for a potti?
Sam Nizeti
Sam Nizeti1 second ago
Yes there is, I built the floor lower than plan so that you can sit on it with cabin hatch closed.
I also added a map/cooking table on the other side, my feet fit comfortably in the lowered cabin floor area an I sit on a flat section over the centerboard that George suggested I add to prevent slipping when entering the cabin
Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:24 am
by gonandkarl
Hi,
Yes I can conform there is room for a porta potti in an AD14 or AD16. I did it a bit different than Salvatore.
I left the floor at the planned level but made 2 hatches with lids one can open to put the 2 feet in the floor and then one can sit like this:

and this is how the floor looks at an early stage:

Greetings from Karl

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:54 pm
by Salvatore
I love it Karl, very cool 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:34 am
by Fuzz
Karl's way would be really nice if the odour happens to be really bad :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:52 pm
by Salvatore
G,day all, Sailing yesterday made short YouTube Video.
https://youtu.be/cKsM6f84xNc

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 pm
by Jeff
Salvatore, very cool modifications!!! Very nice and she seems really comfortable!! Congrats, Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:04 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
Thank You so much for this new video, for me still building the boat it is so informative to see such a close up video because on no plan one sees the sheets and the fittings let alone the sail in action. I think I will make myself also such a chart table and use it mainly for coffee. Did you make it to fold away or is it fixed ?
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:36 pm
by Salvatore
G,day Karl, My Table is fixed, The AD16 has that extra cabin space to do that. I think that if you plan to sleep in your AD14 you might look at having it removable/fold-away.
Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:41 pm
by jacquesmm
Thank you for posting all that information.
I am glad you enjoy the boat: small boat but great fun.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:47 am
by gonandkarl
Hallo Salvatore,
I know you have got a small ss winch to pull up the centreboard and you have given me lots of info with good pictures how you installed this winch. I would like to ask you if you installed it from the word go or only installed it after you have sailed a couple of times and maybe found out that lifting it with a rope is too strenuous. I am still not sure if I should mount such a winch or not. Seeing that I have the centreboard still in the garage I will try lift it on one end with a rope maybe that helps me to decide if I need it or not.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:32 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Karl, I designed it that way from the start. I had a sailing boat many years ago that used a winch I liked the control it gave me when setting how deep in the water it was, I decided to do the same with my AD16. It takes up a tiny amount of space and I am happy I did. The question is will the loss of space be a issue for you in your AD14? The boat was designed without a winch, so lifting it should not be an issue. Also my first boat had a solid galvaned SB, my AD16 has a solid SS CB. From a previous post (I did do a little cheat when I was building my boat my CB is a solid slab of Stainless Steel, it weighs 70 kg, I got that idea from another boat design. I used a small 3to1 SS winch (cost AU $99) I crimped the cable at the right depth so I did not let the CB go down to far. it has worked extremely well for me. The winch does not get in my way and is a reminder not to forget to lift the CB when cumming ashore. I only have the winch handle on when using the winch.) from page 23 of this post.

To have an idea about space in your AD14 check out this youtube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZXpav52D8

There are more like this one in my Liked vids on my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z ... w/featured

Pros:
easy to use
use sitting down
full control over how deep it goes

Con:
uses cockpit space
extra thing that needs maintenance

Regards
Salvatore Nizeti

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 am
by das boot
Hi guyes,
I have been away for a while but back now for the first time in 2 years i fineley felt well enough to get my boat out and go sailing a little touch up on the paint after 2 years under a tarp but it all worked out well enough had a few good days on it so now i can get back to it and just have fun.

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 am
by terrulian
Welcome back, das boot!
As usual we'd love some photos. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 am
by Jeff
das boot, welcome back to the forum!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 am
by gonandkarl
Hi George,
Welcome back it is nice to hear from you. Next time you sail take a few pictures we would love to see your yellow :lol: submarine :lol: on the water or before you push her down the slip. I think there are only 2 pictures in the Bateau forum of You steering the boat , all the others are from when You built it. I had a good look at all the pictures you posted and there comes up a question: Did you weld 2 short stumps to the sides of your trailer near the end of it to push longer plastic pipes over them to guide you onto the trailer at the slip ? As we are on your thread I would like to ask you Salvatore the same question, or is it easy for you to aim into the middle of the trailer while it is submerged at the slip ?
And thanks for the explanations about the centreboard winch. I am still undecided. Most probably the first splashing will have no winch mounted for lack of time to mount one.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:00 pm
by das boot
I do not know how to post the pictures on the site so I sent Karl a few of them via Email.
As for the trailer posts the trailer was built to hall my sea ray around and there were guid posts to line it up on the trailer however the sail boat was wider and those posts were steel so i cut them off and used 3 inch plastik sour pipe from the hardware store cut it to whit i needed I heated it with a torch to bend it at the angle I wanted and stuck them over the left over stubs of the poles I had cut off. It works well there is some give and they do not scratch the finish on the boat simple is good. Let me know if you get the pictures ok.
You can see in the pictures again I used PCV piping to hold the back of the mast while traveling that pipe clips into the ruder brackets. to hole the back of the mast I also made one for the front of the mast that fits into the mast hole in the deck that holds the front of the mast in place.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 am
by das boot
on my center keel i was looking for a way to hold it up while on the road i did not like the idea of using a dowl so i drilled a hole through the cox and the keel retracted and installed a 1/4 in ss pipe through the whole thing once epoxy was set i cut the pipe between the keel box and the keel on booth sides as close to the keel as i could then once lowered i was able to use a file to smooth out the inside of the keel box. I have a cable i had mounted in the top of the keel it is around a foot long and has a loop in it that i slide a short chunk of pipe through to use as a handle to pull the keel up then i slide a bolt through the hole i put in earlier and put a nut on it for travel this has worked well for me for a number of years it only takes around a 25-30 pound pressure to pull it up with one hand. I can get you pictures of that in the next few days

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 am
by jacquesmm
From the designer:
There is a lot that goes in the design that I can not explain on the plans but let's do it here.

With the keel lifted, there is a little corner of it sticking out in the cockpit, just above the sole.
If a hole is drilled through that tip, a dowel can be inserted to secure the keel up.
The keel is kept up by the tackle PLUS the dowel, very safe on the trailer.
It is also a safe way to secure the keel/centerboard when sailing in really bad rough weather.
You should not be out in very bad weather but if it happens, I like to have something securing the keel in case of roll over.
The boat is designed to right itself up but we do not want the keel to be down in that weather and bang in the top of keel trunk in a capsize. Secure it with a dowel as I explain above.
This is important when modifying my design for a steel keel. The movements of a steel keel will be more brutal. Don't change the design please.
You may think that it will increase stability but that is not true with the keel up, only a tiny little bit with the keel down, maybe 1" lower VCG. In bad weather, the keel will mostly be up anyway.
If you already have the steel keel (whihc is not on the plans), you should install my dowel system.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:09 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Karl,
When launching I drive the trailer all the way down the ramp and into the water so that the boat is almost floating, I then get onto the boat start my motor put it into reverse and my friend pushes the boat off the trailer, my boat trailer has a row of rollers down the middle and the side support rails have a slippery surface on it so that the boat slides down. When retrieving I back the trailer down the ramp so that the first roller touches the water this is not as far down as when I launch, one person steadies the boat and another just winches the boat onto the trailer, (this is why I have extended the keel forward and finished it off in a sweeping curve. See other post https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58853) the center row of rollers and the side rails work together to guide the boat properly onto the trailer. It's to cold to go sailing at the moment as soon as the weather warms up in September i Try to make some video for you.
Picture of trailer with rollers down the middle, rails not installed
Picture of boat sitting on rollers and side rails

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:28 pm
by gonandkarl
Thanks Salvatore,
It is so good to hear all the detail about putting the boat into the water. George also answered my question and sent me some pictures per email. Unfortunately your pictures one cannot see on photobucket but others in the forum have reported the same problem.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:44 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Karl

Looks like Photo Bucket have become greedy:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/3 ... party_pgs/

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:33 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Karl,
I have downloaded a lot of images into the Bateau2 builders Galleries.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 77&page=19
Me launching the boat on the official first launch day

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm
by terrulian
How long has that been now?

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:16 am
by Salvatore
Started May, 2014
Launched November, 2014
Isn't she a thing of beauty, :) 8) Looking forward to putting her in the water again
My Picture Gallery
My YouTube Page

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 pm
by das boot
I launch my boat a little different our boat ramps have a finger dock that sticks out from the ramp I stand the mast and rig the sales main and jib the main i use a bungie cord to keep it on the boom and the same with the jib to hold it out of the way hooked to the forward stay. Motor mounted and tested I then install the ruder using a bow and stern rope i tie the bow rope to the front of the tralier winch unhook everything else and back it into the water next to the finger dock then i untie the bow rope from the trailer and grab the stern rope and walk the boat from the trailer while on the dock. this way i do not get a wet foot I reverse the process to get it back on the trailer drive to the parking lot and drop the mast it works for me.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:42 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore and George,
I love the pictures where you let the boat into the water. Does that mean it floats off the trailer already in knee deep water ? My launching place where I want to let the Adelie into the water for the first time looks similar and it looks like I can use Georges method of walking the boat from a finger dock into deeper water. That is the same place where I always launch my FS13. I wonder if everyone has such a lot of thoughts about the first splash. But I am happy that I do not have any bigger worries.

I thank You both for the very helpful info about launching and hope that I will manage it the same way as you did a lot of times.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 am
by Salvatore
gonandkarl wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:42 am Does that mean it floats off the trailer already in knee deep water ?
Yes, it does. By the way that looks like a beautiful location with the mountains in the background, is it an inland lake? tell us more about the location.
Regards, Salvatore
My Picture Gallery
My YouTube Page

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:13 pm
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
Yes I am 450 km away from the nearest sea the Adriatic sea, so most of my sailing I will do on some nice lakes close by. It takes me 25 min by car to the shown launching spot it is called Traunsee and very nice for sailing because there are all kinds of winds which are often changing from morning to the afternoon. I am looking forward putting my boat into the water there next to the wooden finger dock.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:58 pm
by das boot
If you do it right you do not get wet at all. I sail my boat most of the time in Alowett lake near pit medows near Vancouver it takes me around 30 min to drive there and around 15 to rig the mast and get launched the lake is in the mountains so there is always a good wind it is 24 miles long so it takes me between 4-6 hours to get to the other end under sail then after I sail around a bit by then I am getting tired. For the trip back I just start the motor a 6HP 4 stroke and head back to the dock. I just refiled the tank from last week and I burnt 1 liter of fuel in the motor so that is a good day.
You will have no problems it is a very passive boat to work with. Mine is getting old around 8-10 years and i had to dew a few repairs this year but nothing big. I have had it out in the ocean a few times and i works well these as well I have sailed it from Vancouver to Vancouver Island a few times that is 35 miles of opened water no problems i can handle the waves well i have been in 5-6 foot waves no problem it just keeps on going. You will have nothing but fun on it.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:30 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
I have a question about your additional hatch on the foredeck. Because I always battle to get to the mast fittings I want to build also such a hatch like you did so that I can stand in the cabin and can have my hands at the mast partner and mast fittings. Can you please just tell me your experience with using this hatch and what I should look out for before I cut the hole in the deck.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 am
by gonandkarl
Hi,
I hope you look occasionally still into the forum or are you sailing all the time in sunny Australia ?
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl, I aim to go out sailing at least once a fortnight, we have a mild climate in Sydney, Australia so we don't go out for about 4 months a year during the colder months. I have made some changes to the boat. My large jib tended to pull the boat to Lee when sailing to windward and I was constantly fighting the tiller, I moved the mast back half a meter and now she is perfectly balanced. (I had to reinforce the hull to take the new mast position). If I let go of the tiller she will happily sail to windward for a good 10 minutes before slowly driving to lee. I will see if I can make a YouTube of the changes. I hope all is well with you? Has there been an increase in AD14/16 builders? Kind Regards Salvatore.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 am
by Bogieman
Hi Salvatore ! Good to hear the report on your boat. I had my AD16 (Tipsy) in the water a bunch last year and she sails and handles really nice. Like you I’m waiting for spring to get her in the water again.
Bogie

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:50 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
Thank you so much for your answer and that all is well on your side of the world. If you moved the mast a bit back does that mean it is exactly where you built the forward hatch which I also want to build ? Only Bogieman has built an Adelie lately and in a record time similar like you did. It is a pity that not more of these lovely boats are built because they are the ideal day sailboats for a whole family, trailer able by a small car and easy to sail single handed. The only disadvantage is that it is no sailboat for a race but who needs racing.
I am looking forward to sail with my new twin grand children in one or two years time.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Bogieman,
I looked for a picture of your boat couldn't find any? Like to see some pictures if that is possible, thankyou.

Hi Karl,
What picture are you looking at when you say forward hatch? The ad16 has a larger cabin top my forward hatch is big enough to fit me with life jacket on. This was only after I moved mast position back 1/2 a meter & added a large jib so that the sail to keel area was in balance. I don't suggest any one tries this unless they have a basic understanding of sailboat design.

I get about 4 1/2 knots out of my boat with 4 adults onboard with the increased sail area. Normal speed is about 2 knots in a mild breeze to windward. I am extremely happy with my ad16 she was easy to build and maintain. I have enjoyed sailing her these last 6 years and I. Have zero regrets. She has never thrown anyone overboard and highly recommend her for any one with children or special needs. We enjoy having coffee with cake as we sail along. I hope this answers' your questions.
Kind regards
Salvatore
20210220_130146.jpg

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:51 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for your quick answer and so well documented with pictures. I built my companionway on my AD14 exactly according to plan and it is open between frame C and B with a sliding roof. My problem up to now was always to reach to the mast partner fittings. That is why I will cut a big enough hatch into the deck roof between frame B and A so I can get out through this hatch standing in the cabin and I can reach easily to the fittings at the mast partner. In principle it is like you have got it on your boat except that I will not move the masts position and the new hatch is an open hole between frame A and B. For the removable lid I plan to use a clear acrylic glass plate so that I have the added bonus of some more light besides the two windows in the cabin. I am rather small and this is why I have to make this extra exit to come near to the mast partner fittings. The alternative was up till now always to lie on deck like a beached whale. I wanted to know from you if you were happy with the extra exit point out of the boat which you had already before moving your mast. Your pictures definitely help me a lot because I see little details which I otherwise battle to think out for myself. I will post a picture of my new hatch as soon as I have finished it.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:18 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl,
No I was not. The two sliding hatch idea did not work the way I wanted. I made a full cut all the way to the mast, this was much better. I did this before I moved the mast position. I made a hatch that sat over the opening. on fair days I left the new hatch at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKsM6f84xNc

Please watch this old youtube I made a few years back and you can see the cutout went all the way to the mast.

All images of Angelina AD16
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... n&type=AND

Making Angelina video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQZZJgnWzk&t=9s

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:15 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
I love this new old video of yours and it shows me so well how one can modify the boat. This means you have cut the top of ring frame B away to be able to walk forward. I think I will copy your splendid idea. Do I have to reinforce the deck some more on the sides ?
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 am
by Salvatore
That is exactly what I did. Watch the video again and you will see that I reinforced it with timber bars and fiberglass underneath 😊

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:01 am
by Bogieman
Salvatore wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 pm Hi Bogieman,
I looked for a picture of your boat couldn't find any? Like to see some pictures if that is possible, thankyou.

Hi Karl,
What picture are you looking at when you say forward hatch? The ad16 has a larger cabin top my forward hatch is big enough to fit me with life jacket on. This was only after I moved mast position back 1/2 a meter & added a large jib so that the sail to keel area was in balance. I don't suggest any one tries this unless they have a basic understanding of sailboat design.

I get about 4 1/2 knots out of my boat with 4 adults onboard with the increased sail area. Normal speed is about 2 knots in a mild breeze to windward. I am extremely happy with my ad16 she was easy to build and maintain. I have enjoyed sailing her these last 6 years and I. Have zero regrets. She has never thrown anyone overboard and highly recommend her for any one with children or special needs. We enjoy having coffee with cake as we sail along. I hope this answers' your questions.
Kind regards
Salvatore

20210220_130146.jpg
Hi Salvatore. My thread is AD16(Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Bogieman,
That's a nice looking boat.
file.jpg
file.jpg (114.97 KiB) Viewed 3390 times

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm
by Bogieman
Thank you!

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:56 pm
by Salvatore
Hi Guys,

Modified my boat to have a ships wheel. I absolutely love it, I find it less tiring and a lot easier to use. Don't how to insert images upright?

download/file.php?mode=view&id=23342

download/file.php?mode=view&id=23341

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:29 am
by gonandkarl
Hi Salvatore,
I love your modification with the ships wheel. Did You use normal rope going out the transom and do these 2 ropes go to the back of the rudder ? How did you mount the ropes on the pedestal ? Just left and right and when you turn the wheel the rope ends wind around in opposite direction ? Sorry that I ask so many questions, but I like the rudder wheel so much that I want to modify the boat the same way even that I am not finished with the last copy of your boats walk through to the mast. A Happy New Year to you and your wife and do post pictures of your sails as often as possible it pushes away our Winter blues here in Europe. You can turn the pictures by 90 degrees in the gallery by editing the pictures and there is a button on top to rotate and save it afterwards.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:01 am
by Salvatore
Hi Karl,

Attached images of steering system. + drop-down seat.
20220105_124013_resized.jpg
20220105_124005_resized_1.jpg
20220105_123950_resized.jpg
20220105_123914_resized.jpg
20220105_123859.jpg
20220105_123821_resized.jpg
20220105_123810_resized.jpg
20220105_123804_resized.jpg
20220105_123757_resized.jpg
20220105_123303_resized.jpg
20220105_123252_resized_1.jpg
20220105_123247_resized.jpg