AD16 Need to modify Keel if possible

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

AD16 Need to modify Keel if possible

Post by Salvatore »

Hi All,
I need to make a slite keel change, the swell in Sydney harbour can be a foot even at the best of times just floating AD16 of the trailer is not a good way to do it. I need to be able to allow the boat to slide of the back of the trailer and to be pulled back up again. Also our boat rams often leave a lot to be desired. Could a make the change as in the picture in my gallery .

could not attach image got this message?
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

Thanx Sam

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD16 Need to modify Keel if possible

Post by pee wee »

Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, that is possible. It will change the LCR a little bit but I wouldn't worry about it.
That change does not affect the hull shape. Make a pattern to the shape you desire or just measure and build it the way we show but with that slope in the front.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Thankyou for the quick reply, I will make as per your design with longer slats so that I can achieve a slope that will work on a standard trailer

Sam

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Hi Sam. I should have done something similar only in my case it is because of the seaweed I will collect. I just didn't ask. It seems to me that you could estimate the area of lateral resistance you are adding forward and then compensate for it by shifting the keel shoe back to make up for it. If you did this you would need to move the location of the ctrbd slot in the keel shoe accordingly.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Bondo,

You did a great job on your boat, your a tuff act to follow.

As for the keel It should be OK, I am surprised it has not come up as an option before.

Sam

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

It actually has come up a time or two. The first AD built had a heavily modified keel and there was a picture or two. (the AD with the purple spinnaker shown on the plans page) and thanks for the compliment but you have to consider that I have completely overbuilt the boat. (I promised myself I wouldn't do that when I started)

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I think we all overbuild from the plans if you took all the changes and put them in one boat it would not look like a AD16 at all. I like the idea of changing the keel box I mite try and do this as an add on this summer I could shape it out of foam and cover it with kevler that might work. The biggest problem I have found is in beaching the boat it dose a lot of damage to the keel box I have had to repair it a few times it just grinds through the glass easy to repair but a pain. I know just keep it off the beach.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I read that Jacques designed the keel shoe for beaching. More specifically "drying out". But I hear you Das Boot. Everyone has different conditions. What we refer to here in the N.W. as "beaching" is known in California as "hard aground". In Florida they call it "shipwrecked".

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

I plan to place a stainless steel band along it's leading edge to try and reduce the damage. I am not going to change the position of the CB or mast, many years ago I built a small skiff and stuffed around with the CB and mast and could not get it to sail right, won't do that again.