DIY Windvane Steering

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: DIY Windvane Steering

Post by Jaysen »

Yes. Jaysen is an idiot. My test would be local harbor (CHS or Port Royal) to Nassau and back.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I would also suggest that there might be something to knowing exactly how your windvane is built and making it simple to repair underway that is asset to accomplish when you build it yourself. Those GGR monitor failures might have occurred just as much with this simple design but effecting repair might have been easier.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Everything you said about things failing at the worst time, and the need to test under the actual conditions to be encountered is true. But you also rightly pointed out that often manufactured gear ends up being flawed as well.

Somewhere in between the extremes of reinventing the wheel, and simply throwing money at a problem via purchased gear, it should be possible to re-create one’s own example of a proven device and adapt it to a relatively simple and well proven boat, as Mr. Boothby has done.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Looking at a few preview photos the windvanes they are showing on the mini 6.5 and 5.8 look to be similar design. I’ve no issues trying to make one. But to Tony’s point I’ll have several full replacements on board.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yes, being able to fix it is a point in favor of this plan, which is why I said I'd have a complete set of backup parts. No matter what you do you need a plan B.
And as I mentioned, my Monitor broke so even getting a name brand is no guarantee but by that time it had about 25000 miles on it. We had all kinds of spare parts but this was a frame issue. The trim tab design involves smaller forces than the pendulum type, which is what the Monitor is. But trim tabs still will get some wear and tear. I think McIntyre is fond of the Aries, Hydrovane, and Windpilot. Two of those are, I believe, servo-pendulum like the Monitor and the third is an independent rudder. Not sure why the trim-tab style is not recommended. You'll be getting plenty of input and help from that crowd of course.

I don't know if you thought I was calling you an idiot, but I certainly wasn't. You're the skipper and you have to make the choices. A trip to Nassau would be a pretty decent shake down.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I call me an idiot.

19’ boat.
Around the world.
Got to be an idiot to think it’s a good idea.

McIntyre is promoting and brand out of AU (post on book to the face) that looked to be a servo pendulum. My take on it is more that a complete replace of the simple trim design can likely be done on the water as there is no frame involved. Where I’m uncertain is how this would work on a dual rudder design. Without the plans in hand the statements of “dual running dagger boards” seems to imply a dual rudder as the rendering clearly shows a single, large, wing and bulb keel.

The limited “allowable customizations” that McI has leaked around the windvane post says the “home built electric auto pilot” is allowable as well. That is also easy enough for me to build AND I could easily tie to the masthead wind direction indicator to get the same effect as a true wind vane. The trick will be in managing power generation/consumption. I’m working on fuelless/windless/sunless generation already :)
Last edited by Jaysen on Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And yes... life insurance all paid up!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I’m working on fuelless/windless/sunless generation already
So...a perpetual motion machine? When you get that put together, you'll be so rich you can hire someone else to sail around the world for you.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not perpetual motion. More a “motion harvester”. That’s an end state though. Lots of room between now and end state.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

simply throwing money at a problem via purchased gear
Ahhhh, and then buying it again when it fails! Such fond memories! Be still my heart!
Tony