GV11 weight

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
druid
New Poster
New Poster

GV11 weight

Post by druid »

Hi folks. I'm FINALLY building the GV11 I got the plans for maybe 20 years ago...

I'm building it pretty much as per plans (except using single -piece 1/2" ply for the frames rather than pieced-together 3/8"). It will be the first time I've actually taped the inside of the seams. I'm also considering glassing the outside of the hull, mainly because I've found fir plywood checks over the years, even if soaked in epoxy.

The plans do NOT call for glassing the hull apart from the tape. But I see many posts here talking about using 6oz (or more) glass on the hull. At least initially, I will be running it in small lakes with a 6hp outboard, myself or me, my wife and a small dog, and I will be car-topping it so I'm VERY concerned about weight.

The plans say it will weigh around 120 lb, which is consistent with other plywood stitch-n-glue boats I've built, but I assume that's WITHOUT any glass. Does someone know about how much it would weigh with (say) 6 ox glass on the hull?

druid

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV11 weight

Post by pee wee »

Are you thinking about using fir plywood? If you're concerned about weight I would use Okume marine ply and skip the extra glass.
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's not my design but please know that Evan, the designer of that boat, has used a GV11 as his dinghy during a circumnavigation. This is proof that the hull is strong enough without the glass. I had several dinghies in that style and never glassed the bottom.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

druid
New Poster
New Poster

Post by druid »

pee wee wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 am Are you thinking about using fir plywood? If you're concerned about weight I would use Okume marine ply and skip the extra glass.
Here in BC, fir is the go-to wood. I did consider Okume but it's hard to find and more expensive. And (at least my opinion) fir is stronger and not MUCH heavier.

druid

druid
New Poster
New Poster

Post by druid »

Thanks for the input! I think I'll go with the light glass (or maybe none) for now, and if/when I go to a 9.9 on a trailer I'll add the heavier glass. This is one thing I love about homemade wooden boats: you can always modify them. Over the years my stretched D4 has changed quite a bit!

MODERATORS: I accidentally posted this in the wrong group -- could you please move it to Small Boats? Thanks! (Although of course I HAVE considered putting a sail on the GV11...)

druid

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Hi,

Just saw this. The 120 lbs is assuming lighter weight okume, not fir. Adding 6 oz on both sides, bottom and sides??

If you are going to use it as a fast planing hull and go fast, a single layer of biaxial glass, inside and out, on just the bottom panel is recommended. To prevent checking in fir plywood, as light as 4 oz on the sides is OK.

If you think you will eventually use it at higher planing speeds, then adding the glass now is easier (because you're going to otherwise have to remove paint to get more glass to stick)
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

druid
New Poster
New Poster

Post by druid »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm Hi,

Just saw this. The 120 lbs is assuming lighter weight okume, not fir. Adding 6 oz on both sides, bottom and sides??

If you are going to use it as a fast planing hull and go fast, a single layer of biaxial glass, inside and out, on just the bottom panel is recommended. To prevent checking in fir plywood, as light as 4 oz on the sides is OK.

If you think you will eventually use it at higher planing speeds, then adding the glass now is easier (because you're going to otherwise have to remove paint to get more glass to stick)
Thanks Evan!

First, the plans say it's 105 lb - I already upped it to 120 to account for the heavier fir. But the Question remains: How much extra weight would the 6 oz glass add?

druid

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

About 15 lbs. Lots of surface area to cover.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24