VG26 Build - Start of a new project

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VG26 Build - Start of a new project

Post by jacquesmm »

Please refer to the drawing numbers but I found it. It looks like your question is about D272/7, chine panel.

All dimensions are on vertical lines every 611 mm.
All vertical dimensions are from the baseline (BL).
For example, for the pair marked 10 and 824:
the point on the keel line is 10 mm above the BL
the point on the chine line is 824 mm above the BL.

Don't use a divider to check. If you see a difference, you may measure in the wrong place: the arrow tip is along an extension mark that is too small to print properly. Don't try to scale from paper please.
And if you use the PDF as a background in CAD, do not click on the arrow tip: it is not necessarily on the vertical line because of the arrow extension.
Trust the figures, not the way PDF prints lines.
For example, the 611 Typ is correct but the 638 next to it looks like it is a few mm to the right but that is because the extension line does not print well. Take a magnifier and look at the next one, 746. I can see the very small extension line when printed larger scale.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Kerry Price
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kerry Price »

Thank you. I understand the vertical dimensioning. I'm confused on the horizontal dimensions along the baseline where the chamber starts, for example where does 4 mm start? I don't see a dimension that specifies.

Kerry Price
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kerry Price »

Belay my last. I understand now.

Kerry Price
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kerry Price »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm The location of the dimensions origin does not matter but keep it constant.
In my 3D models,I usually put it at the cutwater which is the intersection of the bow with the waterline.

When scaled by 10%, the displacement for that same waterline will be 33% larger. Your hull framing weight will increase by 21%, same for rig etc. That means you can increase the ballast by 33% or even more. The stability will increase, the payload increases, all positive points.

You can keep the frames spacing as they come out when scaled 10%. I would increase the scantlings by about 25% for example, wherever I specify 10 mm ply as a core, go for 12 mm. I will check the fiberglass.

It's a bigger boat, it's going to cost more in materials, I guess 22% since we scale surface.

Every thing that is a length will be scaled by 10%. That means multiply by a factor of 1.1.
The surfaces will automatically scale by the square of 1.1 = 1.21.
The volumes (displacement, tankage, ballast weight etc.) will be come 33% greater.
No need to do any other math than scaling the dimensions for the hull.
I will help with checking the specs for hull materials and rig but I am not worried since I already have a generous safety margin in the plans specs.
Hi Jacques

You mentioned to increase the scantlings by about 25%. For the bottom panel, will an 18mm panel be too thick to make the curve? Should I use 13mm and cold mold 6mm panels over it?

I am working out the nesting for a 10% increase in dimension. Are there any concerns about where the seams are on any piece? For example, I will have to turn the bottom panel so the beam is across the 8ft length vs. the 4ft width as it is currently. This will create an additional seam.

You also mentioned checking the spec for hull materials and rigging. Any concerns there? Will it require a different mast?

Thanks.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

decision made to scale by 10%?
If yes, then you should increase the bottom panel thickness to 18 mm.
18 mm will not bend easily. I would use 12 + 6 or even 10 plus 2*6.
The second one is much easier: one layer of 10 plus two diagonal layers of 6 mm. That solves the panel width problem.

Yes, the rigging should also increase in size.

Kerry Price
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kerry Price »

Please refer to dwg B272/14, the drawing in the upper left corner, a leading edge shaped around PVC. What is this referring to?

Please refer to dwg B272/15, the CB in the down position. What do the 2 dashed lines inside the "torpedo" shape indicate?

Thanks. Kerry

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Kerry Price wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 pm Please refer to dwg B272/14, the drawing in the upper left corner, a leading edge shaped around PVC. What is this referring to?
It shows how to create the leading edge of the keel.

Please refer to dwg B272/15, the CB in the down position. What do the 2 dashed lines inside the "torpedo" shape indicate?
That's the profile (a section) of the CB.

Kerry Price
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kerry Price »

Hi Jacques - planning is progressing very well. I'm in the middle of selling my house (down sizing) and I can't start the build until after I move. This is allowing my plenty of time to plan and think through the project. I have settled on increasing the VG26 by 10% and I have a few more questions:

1) All volumes increase by 33%, including ballast I presume. Please refer to DWG B272/14, the note in the bottom left, "Fill keel with lead (minimum denstity = 7) for a total weight of 23 kg." Please verify "23 kgs." Is this a typo?

2) Refer to DWG D272/26. By increasing the sailboat by 10%, I'm assuming the sail plan and rigging also increase proportionally. Would you be willing to recalculate the sails and rigging for me so I don't make a mistake in the calculations? I can do the math, but I would be more comfortable with a second eye.

3) Do you have any opinions about Colligo Marine's solutions to using synthetic rigging? I've been reading Brion Toss's book, "The Complete Rigger's Apprentice" and also notice that he is a Colligo Marine certified rigger. Ultimately, I want to do the rigging myself and save the thousands of $$ of having it done for me. Interested in your thoughts.

Your advise and thoughts are much appreciated.

Kerry

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Kerry Price wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

1) All volumes increase by 33%, including ballast I presume. Please refer to DWG B272/14, the note in the bottom left, "Fill keel with lead (minimum denstity = 7) for a total weight of 23 kg." Please verify "23 kgs." Is this a typo?
Yes, it is a big typo. The total ballast is what I show on the study plans: 2500 lbs or 1,136 kg.
See the building notes about keeping some as trim ballast but you are far from that point. Right now, you can use 1,136 kg as a starting point.

2) Refer to DWG D272/26. By increasing the sailboat by 10%, I'm assuming the sail plan and rigging also increase proportionally. Would you be willing to recalculate the sails and rigging for me so I don't make a mistake in the calculations? I can do the math, but I would be more comfortable with a second eye.
The sails are an area and the SA will increase by 1.1^2. The standing and running rigging must be recalculated. Not a big deal but you are a couple years away from that point.

3) Do you have any opinions about Colligo Marine's solutions to using synthetic rigging?
Dyneema or synthetic rigging did not exist at the time of the design but it is good solution since you can do a lot of work your self.
There are lots of Youtube videos about doing it yourself. Research it, get some books but for those last two questions, don't rush things. Build a hull first.