Vendee Globe 2020

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Vendee Globe 2020

Post by terrulian »

Now Sam's hit something.
Tony

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

terrulian wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:15 pm Now Sam's hit something.
I was just reading about how many shipping containers are lost into the oceans each year- recent years around 800, but Monday the ONE Apus lost 1,900 or more in the Pacific- that's a lot of hazards out there.
Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

SeaWolves had a great discussion on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CumjcU ... CumjcUYfhA[/url]
Also could be a log or whale, and also could just be the water. At the speed these boats are going, just hitting the water wrong may break something. It doesn't seem as though Alex's damage was caused by a collision, for example.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:00 pm SeaWolves had a great discussion on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CumjcU ... CumjcUYfhA[/url]
Also could be a log or whale, and also could just be the water. At the speed these boats are going, just hitting the water wrong may break something. It doesn't seem as though Alex's damage was caused by a collision, for example.
not at the time of collision... I believe the rudder was the one that had fishing hardware tangled in the opening days. I thought the release was that there was a potential for hitting something early in the race as well.

The fact that one boat folded in nearly the same place as Alex's forward damage goes more to a general under-built/over-sailed problem in my opinion though. Who knows.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

As SeaWolves says, no man has or ever will create a boat that can't be broken. You'd think, however, that these teams, especially those headed by Vendee Globe veterans, wouldn't build their boats too light. The conditions are rough but so far no one has experienced anything near the kind of thing that happened in the Golden Globe--like a pitch-pole or capsize--and any decent cruising boat would have survived no problem. It is the speed as well as the light weight that is causing issues.
Tony