Woods Flica 34

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
mariobrothers88
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Woods Flica 34

Post by mariobrothers88 »

Thanks Fallguy!! I already bought 12 units of these 15"screw in earth anchors : https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product ... P:20501231

Should I still buy 4x4s and post anchors or can I just use the screw in earth anchors? I was thinking of putting in 6 screw in earth anchors on each side would that be enough?

Thanks again for all you help!!
fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:19 pm Just get 6 timbers 2x12 12' long and lap them. Install four or 8 post anchors into the ground with 4x4s. The strongback doesn't need to be straight; just fairly level. The frames need to be installed straight and perfectly level to a hole in the waterline.. Keep the strongback timbers about 2 feet apart or 3.

For your picture, try it again. Once you figure out how; posting pics here is ez.

mariobrothers88
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys I just completed these frames. I'm going to be attaching tarps from the concrete walls to the frames to keep out the sun/rain. I'm going to be buying the lumber to make the strongback tomorrow, will probably buy 6 units of 2"x10-12"x12' and attaching them with half lap joints. Do you guys have any recommendations to make the length of the half lap into the 2x12 or 2x10? I was thinking 12". Also is the best way to join them with screw AND wood glue or would screws alone be enough? I wanted to reuse the strongback for the other hull so I want to be able to disassemble it pretty easily by using just screws, but I'm worried the strongback might move.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Just get 2 16' and four 12' and lap as desired; never like a 1' overlap it can get hinky in the weather and screws closer than 4" tend to split the boards; nothing epoxy can't fix, but movement...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mariobrothers88
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys I ended up laying a concrete level pad because I had difficulty finding good quality wood to make the strongback. The plans say: "If building on a flat concrete floor, 3"x3" wood blocks can be bonded to floor using a runny polyester-filler mix, or car body filler." I bought Bondo fiberglass resin from walmart. When it says "polyester-filler mix", am I suppose to mix the fiberglass resin with a filler like fumed silica, or should I just use the Bondo fiberglass resin (with hardener of course)? Also, since I know polyester resin doesn't bond well to wood, should I precoat the 3"x3" wood blocks with the Bondo resin first before glueing it to the concrete?

Thanks for all your help guys, I truly appreciate it!!!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The bondo is used on its own. There is no need to precoat. If the bondo let's go, just make a runnier thickened mix of epoxy. The blocks will break the concrete before they come off with the epoxy method.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495