Bottom paint

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bottom paint

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:28 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:10 pm All advice is 3" above dwl for bottom paints.

...discussion welcomed...I am going 3" up
Fallguy for keeping boats in the water that is correct. Even 4" would not be incorrect depending on the wave action at your marina. Call the harbormaster at your TX marina and ask what he recommends.

Tom
The marina will be my backyard.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Bottom paint

Post by VT_Jeff »

jbo_c wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:05 pm Following this model, when do I pull the tape? After the gel time while the epoxy is still green, I assume. Do I retape for each coat? Or just pull after the last coat? (Assuming I’m doing it wet on wet in one afternoon.)

Jbo
Hey! That's my boat!

Wet on wet, pull it once when the final coat has gelled. I think I had some paint on it already so that the epoxy/graphite was layering over the paint there. White paint would have taken a dozen coats to cover that black epoxy, the black epoxy covers the white paint very easily. So I had to wait until that white paint was cured enough that I could mask it off comfortably without fear of it coming up when I pulled the tape. I had a number of those scenarios due to my blue "stripe"
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie