Shelf Life of Epoxy

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Shelf Life of Epoxy

Post by Capt H »

Shine,

I had and used some E-Poxy that I have had for a while only to find out that it is much thicker and the glass did not absorb it well compared to the newer Marine Epoxy. Does the Epoxy have a shelf life? I used the same hardner in both.

Thanks

Capt H

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

It does not have a shelf life, but if an epoxy resin (mostly the resin side) freezes it will thickened or even crystallize. To get it back to it original viscosity, you need to heat the jug up (hot water bath). It will not return to the thinner viscosity just sitting at room temperature.

Think of it like honey in the refrigerator, it crystallizes and will stay that way even after you remove it and it returns to room temp. To get the honey/epoxy thin again - warm it up.

Capt H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capt H »

Shine,
That is why I am confused. I know the resin has never been frozen. It is stored in my basement until near time to use it, then I bring it out to the carport to get to ambient temp. which in my region has been 60-80 degrees.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

It never freezes (32 degrees) here, but the temp at which the epoxies crystallize is well above 32 degrees.

Please try the warm water trick.

Capt H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capt H »

Thanks Shine

Capt H