Tacking 1708 with screws

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
svonmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Tacking 1708 with screws

Post by svonmiller »

Greetings all,

I'm working on the keel of a sailboat where it is on stands and I have to work upside down. Gravity is working against me. I need to put up about a 15 inch wide by 80 inch long piece of 1708 cloth, but it's not working very well (I've already wasted one piece) Since the cloth is so heavy I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach it securely to the hull while it cures.

My question is, could I use little self-tapping screws to tack it up in places? I'd just screw right through the 1708 into the existing fiberglass. When everything is cured, the holes would be filled with epoxy. Actually I might screw boards lined with wax paper to spread more pressure around.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Stan

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Vacuum bagging.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

svonmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by svonmiller »

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how it would work. The keel is part of the hull, so i don't know how it would be bagged. Additionally, does that require expensive equipment? I'm looking for the cheaper route :-)

Here's a pic of it -

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

When I have to glass overhead I apply thickened epoxy to the surface first with a notched trowel. Use cabisile and make it thick. Use a roller to press the mat into the thickened epoxy. Wet out the surface carefully so you do not thin the thickened epoxy.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Vacuum bagging with duct tape should work. You may have to work with smaller pieces.
That look like a small boat (less than 25'), can't you roll it on its side?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

svonmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by svonmiller »

Ah, ducktape. That makes sense. No I can't roll it. It's a sailboat, 24 feet long. Very heavy, 8 ft beam, 6 ft of headroom. It's a floating Winnebago. And the hull is not split.

Can one achieve vacuum bagging with like a shop vac and plastic liner? Or do I need better equipment than that?

Doug
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Doug »

use three layers of 12oz instead

svonmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by svonmiller »

This is as strong? I already have 2 layers on there, so another wouldn't be a big deal. If three layers of 12 oz is as strong as the 1708, I'd be all over that. That tape is a lot easier to work with.

svonmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by svonmiller »

I take it from the responses no one likes the screws idea :-) I thought that was a good idea!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

If you opt to vacuum bag, a garden variety shop vac is not built to endure that sort of *vacuum* load for hours. You would fry it. A proper vacuum pump can be had fairly inexpensively. But someone else needs to jump in here with more experience. It would be a nice skill to add to your bag of tricks. Also surf around. There are web based pages detailing such projects. :)