Epoxy or wood glue???

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Epoxy or wood glue???

Post by TomW »

KS you beat me to it. Resorcinol is very particular as to how tolerant you are in planing your wood. It has to very fitted very close and thus is used only in production plants do to that reason. I went through my largest wood working catalog quick and they do not even sell resorcinol anymore. There are better glues for the home carpenter than resorcinal now available.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo »

Hey! What am I, chopped liver? I beat ks8 to it! :-) :-)

With all joking aside, Jamestown Distributors sells the stuff.

Laszlo

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

We used to use it long ago, before the gougeon brothers were well known, but the boats were plank on frame, glued and screwed every 4" or so. And we left all the screws in :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Woops fell asleep reading all this, what the hell is this? who knows best contest ? :P

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Wow! What a conversation I've started. 8O

There is a mast partner, that is what I considered the structural part. However, it sits below the sheer, and the deck is above it and level with the sheer. I guess that this makes is structural by default. Since I'm not really concerned about weight, I think I'm going to go with the overbuild strategy. That is... fit all the pieces that aren't already glued down, epoxy them all in place at once with some slightly thickened epoxy (thickened with Sapele sanding dust to match the darker wood), reinforce below deck with fiberglass, and consider if I'll also apply fiberglass to the top side of the deck.

I was thinking some wood glue so that I could glue up one piece at a time so that I'd have a solid piece to work against while I fit the next piece.
Shaun
(B.O.B. = Builder Of Boats)

cape man

Post by cape man »

Wow! What a conversation I've started.
No kidding!!! And on top of that, all this mental masturbation had me second guessing the durability and wisdom of the past month's work on my build!

Love the discussion here, but everything I know is epoxy is a stronger bond than wood glue. Epoxy sealed and glued wood is not coming apart. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

I mixed 3 ounces at a time to coat and then glue each long strip along the gunwale where I was clamp-limited, and multiple, shorter strips on the foredeck. Cut them so they will fit well together and you can clamp mutiple strips together at the same time. As for the glue showing, I sanded everything down smooth as a baby bottom, so while you can see a seam between the strips, there's no over run on the strips themselves.

It will be beautiful and very strong with epoxy.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

It will definately be a beautiful peice of work when you get it done Bob. Just take your time and make it a treasure of love.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Why not use gel magic? everybody happy :wink: :P

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

"The major advantage of epoxies is that they do not lose bonding power when they are used for gap-filling. Other glues fail in this regard. Consequently epoxy is a good choice when you have to glue parts that cannot be made to fit precisely"
http://www.diyinfo.org/wiki/Types_Of_Glue
For what its worth....I have been reading up on glues for a while and alot of the new glues are stronger than the wood fiber if applied correctly. Epoxy "needs" a gap as far as I know, I dont know why..plus epoxy starvation in the joint is an issue.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I always love learning stuff. I always read this to mean that unlike other glues, you COULD have a gap, not that you HAD to have a gap...from the site you just posted...
The minimum thickness for an epoxy joint should be at least 5 thousandths of an inch thick, about double that required for other glues
That's a pretty small minimum gap. I converted it to microns, a unit I work in with plankton. Assuming my math is right, it's 127 microns...about the size of a rotifer. Really small. Could see a rotifer fitting in there, but I cranked down those clamps pretty hard while bringing the strips together, especially along the transition from the bow. Hoping that the spaces between the clamps along the strips length will also provide enough of a bond to keep her together. It sure is solid now. Guess we're going to find out over time, as there's no way I am redoing it at this point... Had it to do over, would have not clamped so hard and used Larry's dowels, and like KS spend 7 years building.

Biker you sure did start something here didn't you :lol: :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman