Epoxy Recommendation (interesting thread, worth reading)

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
TL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Epoxy Recommendation (interesting thread, worth reading)

Post by TL »

Ok guys, I am getting ready to buy 35 gallons of epoxy for my CS25 and I would like your imput. I have built two boats and used West System. It is a great product. I have read that the five to one ratio also produced a more waterproof epoxy. My problem is the amine blush. I hate it! I do not want to scrub this stuff off of a 25ft boat, inside and out.

This project is going to be too expensive and time consuming to use anything but the best I can buy. I recognize System Three as a quality product and I have even used their LPU system. But, some of the posts here makes me wonder. When is their Silver Tip resin going to be available. Sounds like Jacques approves of it.

What is the best epoxy with proven results in coposite construction that doesn't have amine blush?

Thanks for your help.

Terry

(Sorry for adding my note to the title Terry, this is an interesting discussion. You forced me to come out of the woods with the Silver Tip, now I want everybody to read it).

Capt H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CS25

Post by Capt H »

Terry, I noticed your in Virginia. I am also preparing to build the CS25 and I'm also in Virginia. Maybe we could get better pricing on supplies if we were to buy x2. E-mail me at capthassler@yahoo.com

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

I don't remember seeing a negative post regarding System3. I have used West System, System 3 and Glen-L house brand (all with their pumps). I cannot tell a difference between the end results of them. However, the I found that there have been different amounts of a small chemical odor from different purchases of Glen-L house branded epoxy. This makes me think that the formulation has changed, but I haven't seen any difference in the end result.

The only problem I have had is that the System3 jugs (in the 7.5 gallon kit) leaked a little during shipment.

Of not that much importance is that I found bigger differences with the pumps. I have found the West Sytem pumps (for use with West System and Glen-L) to be much more consistant and reliable than the pumps I received from System3.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I let you choose which epoxy you prefer: we sell System Three, our own E-Poxy and WEST.
WEST is not more waterproof than other resins but if you prefer WEST, you can order it from us.
It blushes a lot. E-Poxy and System Three do not blush or barely.
We calculated the kits for E-Poxy and for System Three but I can also calculate it for WEST. Email to Orders@e-boat.net if you want such a quote.

Now, about blush.
A few months ago, System Three gave us a new resin to test: a 100% non-blush resin named Silver Tip. It cost more than their standard resin but less than WEST. It is also a 2:1 resin which I prefer: easier to mix.
We have it in stock now but do not advertise it. We are waiting for System Three to make an official announcement.
We can sell it and will discount to our builders. Email for a quote.
It has a few other advantages of the regular System Three resin: it flows and wet out better but the big point is:
no sanding between coats even after complete cure..
If, as you write, you want the best, Silver Tip is the way to go.
I can let you purchase, at a special price, a 1.5 gallon kit to test. We can ship right away.
We could make a trial kit but you will use the resin anyway, try 1.5 gallons.
The list price is $ 115.00. Email for your special price. :)

One last note. We changed our packaging for System Three and E-Poxy. Since last month, we ship all those orders in one gallon containers. Those 7.5 and 5 gallon containers were difficult to handle.
That does not apply to WEST or Silver Tip. Those ones come in large containers if you order more than 3 gallons.
Last edited by jacquesmm on Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Epoxy prices, grouped purchases.

In response to the idea of purchasing resin in quantities, take this in consideration.
You must have noticed that our prices are already the lowest and we will beat any quote from anybody else as long as it is the same resin. Epoxy in large quantities can cost less but once you get to quantities like 25 or 30 gallons, the next step up is by the drum.
We can sell System Three or WEST by the 55 gallon drum with half a drum of hardener. It will cost less, probably around 10% less but you will have to handle the drums and pour in smaller containers, not an easy task. Note that only the taps cost $ 55.00 a piece.

You'll save a little bit on shipping but will need a forklift to unload. Or then get delivery by a lift gate truck and that cost $ 80.00 more.

For fiberglass, we can give a little extra discount if you purchase by the full roll. This means at least 150 yards rolls for the 12 oz. bias, around 180 lbs. The 9 oz. rolls are 500 lbs . . .

Doug
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Doug »

35 GALLONS :!:
I used a lot of S3 and some West on my boat over 1 1/2 years and I only had one batch of S3 blush to any noticable amount. That was when it was cool and 100% humidity, water was condensing on the concrete it was so bad. West was not as good in the blushing dept. unless you use the special hardener which is very expensive. I do like West's wet out a little better but with S3's lower cost, minimal blush and better tolerance for mixing errors it is no contest. I have ordered some of the new E-Poxy but have no experience with it or the Silver Tip.

I'd be inclined to get a gallon or so and try it. It certainly won't go to waste. You can always use it on fairing, fillets or small batches somewhere even if you don't go the whole way with it.

TL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TL »

Thanks for all of the replies. No blush, no sanding, sounds good to me.
Jacques, please send me a quote for a 15 gallon kit. Do you have confidence in this product? Have you tested it? I'm not sure that I wouldn't sand between coats anyway, just to make sure of a mechanical bond. But, I hate washing and scrubbing blush.

Thanks,

Terry
terryatbaybridge@aol.com

P.S. My goal is to be the first to complete the CS25. Yes!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Please email to orders@e-boat.net to get a quote.
I can't forward from here.

Yes, we tested the Silver Tip. My remarks are based on my experience.
Also, I think we can trust System Three, that company is almost as old as WEST and has a great reputation.

BTW, you can still sand between coats. We don't do it except for painting with paints from other brands than System Three.