Epoxy allergy?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Epoxy allergy?

Post by tobolamr »

Good luck, CL! Really sorry to hear you're having troubles.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

With any luck, its the paint.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Going to have to go to a doctor.
Since all of us are guessing, I think that's a very good idea.
Tony

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Inhalation? Usually no significant solvents in epoxy so inhalation is limited to sanding dust
Not. This from the MSDS on the hardener.

6. HEALTH HAZARD DATA:
EYE: May cause severe corneal injury, which may result in permanent impairment of vision, even blindness. Vapors may irritate eyes.
SKIN CONTACT: May cause severe injury to skin following prolonged or repeated contact, and may cause skin sensitization or other allergic reactions.
SKIN ABSORPTION: A single prolonged exposure may result in the material being absorbed in harmful amounts. The LD50 for skin absorption in rabbits is 880 mg/kg.
Single dose oral toxicity is low. The oral LD50 for female rats is>1000mg/kg. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration. Ingestion may cause burns of mouth and throat.
INHALATION: May cause respiratory sensitization or asthma in susceptible individuals. Excessive exposure may cause irritation to respiratory tract.
SYSTEMIC AND OTHER EFFECTS: Results of in vitro ("test tube") mutagen city test have been negative.
Prolonged and repeated contact sums me up pretty well.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

I hope it won't develop to lasting difficulties. Sometimes allergies develop when general health condition is not perfect. It could be minor virosis or alike. The epoxy allergy usually develops on the cumulative basis: the problems appearing after some time. But not after so many years! The symptoms should appear earlier and not after such an experience. Maybe it is something else..
Don't underestimate allergy! Once I got some red freckles and went to the doctor. At his door i fell down, because respiratory mucous swelled and I couldn't breath any more. At the spot luckily I got injections and could breathe again. If it wouldn't be at the ambulance... well..
So now I use gas-mask, nitrile gloves and coveralls all the time. Don't tell me your climate is hotter. Summer months are here also 80-100F. But thanks God, without rattlesnakes :D
Wish you all good,
Dario

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

I started to develop some symptoms a while back. They stopped when I stoped using vinegar to clean mixed resin off my skin. I read the vinegar makes it easier to absorb into the skin. If I have to clean my hands I now use alcohol, but mostly I will let it cure and peel off. No more problems except with quick fair dust, and 5 minute epoxy.
I also use a barrier cream. This seams to help also. I sure hope you work this out.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is interesting about the vinegar.
I used it routinely and sometimes had little bit of redness around my nose and hot cheeks. When we ran out for vinegar, I switched to acetone and I don't feel anything anymore.

Fast hardeners are the worse, I don't use them.

QuickFair is another problem. I like to sand/grind it before it gets too hard but that means I am throwing some partially uncured epoxy in the air and that is bad, worse than resin on the skin I think.

I don't use barrier cream but I know a couple of people who do and it works for them.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

topwater

Post by topwater »

Larry i know you were working with Ipe wood not to long ago do you think you mite be reacting to that ?
I remember Fastlane had the same problem when he was building his P 19 and found out it was the wood not the epoxy.
Novi 23 finally launched !

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Strange, let's hope that is the reason.
Here is what I found right away:
Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Ipe has been reported to cause skin, eye, and respiratory irritation, as well as other effects such as headaches, asthma-like symptoms, and/or disturbance of vision. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.
at:
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-ide ... woods/ipe/
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

I've been in the dark lately - any updates on this, CL?