Twarted... by the Big D

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Twarted... by the Big D

Post by mindunderwater »

Just about ready to lay out panels and start marking when...

The Big D struck. It wasn't a surprise but it wasn't exactly on the calendar, either.

So - no more house, no more a lot of things. Apartment lifestyle will be a thing for a while at the very least.

Thanks to everyone here who helped over the years. :D

I'm not quite out of the boat business. However, the chances I can actually BUILD a boat in the next few years are about zero, unfortunately. I'm looking long and hard at a Panga Marine craft. I know Jacques has some (panga designs) here that look absolutely fantastic! Still in my situation...

FWIW - storing a boat at a marina and living in an apartment IS something I've done before and loved it. Get off work, drive to the marina, put the key in and cast off.

See you out there. If any of you in the DFW area ever need anything give me a shout.
Last edited by mindunderwater on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Multi-Purpose Topside Color GF16

Post by Noles309 »

Mines OD with desert sand inside and the decks are a cream kiwigrip. On this type of skiff I think I would skip the Kiwi and use traditional nonskid with the tan paint. I tried to color match the Kiwi to the desert sand but it used too much color pigment per the kiwi instructions.
A beige color might be nice on the inside as well. I definitively wouldn't do the OD on the inside.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

After much research the British Royal Navy used a color called "Light Admiralty Grey", actually more like a pale blue, to paint the decks of their warships. That color is the lightest shade, while at the same time it reduces glare and heat. Most other navies followed suit. It also worked on my boats - I used to live next to a navy repair yard with a great surplus store - we painted everything in green epoxy (as used on battle tanks) and pale blue/grey.

Richard Woods

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I was also going to suggest a very light gray. Like this :D

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Thanks to all - I'm leaning towards a lighter beige. I do give the RN credit, though - typically when they sit down and really try to figure something out the results are more than acceptable.

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Twarted... by the Big D

Post by mindunderwater »

Changed the topic post and edited for... content.

o/ Boat Safe

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Sorry to hear that, that's one of the most expensive things anybody can do.
Hank

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Sorry to hear that, that's one of the most expensive things anybody can do.

Very sorry. The expense would not even be a little concern to me. I don't know what I'd do without Mrs. Cracker. Maybe drink myself to death in a tent in the swamp. I promised to God, till death do us part, and Lord knows it hasn't been easy sometimes for either of us, but 43 years and all promises kept. Wishing you the best.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Sorry to hear that man, as someone who has been through it before, it gets better. Good luck!
Gary
GF-16 Completed