Marinepoxy Hardener Question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
backriverfish
New Poster
New Poster

Marinepoxy Hardener Question

Post by backriverfish »

I got my second batch of Marinepoxy the other day and I'm afraid to use it due to the coloring of the hardener. It has a very deep grey color to it. Has anyone experienced this? I mixed one small batch and ended up not using it because of the amount of air bubbles in the mixture.

Thanks,
Nick

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Marinepoxy Hardener Question

Post by Fuzz »

That is strange. I have never seen it anything but pretty clear :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My slow hardener is slightly orange after 9mo of use. Still works. I abnormal air bubbles. Did the test batch harden properly?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

backriverfish
New Poster
New Poster

Post by backriverfish »

I will post some pictures tomorrow. I'm testing right now to see if it will harden up.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I have never seen gray. I have some that is 3-4 years old that is an orangy color but I still use it and it is still good. Air bubbles are not good did you over mix or was it a chemical reaction.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

backriverfish wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:00 pm I got my second batch of Marinepoxy the other day and I'm afraid to use it due to the coloring of the hardener. It has a very deep grey color to it. Has anyone experienced this? I mixed one small batch and ended up not using it because of the amount of air bubbles in the mixture.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick,

I am going to assume this is our fast hardener. If so, there is absolutely no issue with it. From time to time we get batches that are a little mis-colored. If this happens we test the batch to ensure that it cures properly and that there are no issues with lamination or clarity. If you purchased your epoxy within the last couple of months then I am sure I know the batch you are speaking of and it is perfectly fine to use.

Sorry for the confusion,

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

backriverfish
New Poster
New Poster

Post by backriverfish »

Awesome. My test came out perfect. I wanted to make sure before I laid it down. Appreciate the help.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

backriverfish wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:54 am Awesome. My test came out perfect. I wanted to make sure before I laid it down. Appreciate the help.
No problem at all. Glad it worked out!!!
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright