Painting over 3m 5200

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Painting over 3m 5200

Post by Larry B »

Got a question here,
Has anyone painted over 3m 5200?
I'm redoing a inflatable boat floor (wood) and I'm going to use some 5200 to seal any aluminum parts that might have a crack that could let water in.
The bottom of the floor is just going to be SilverTip Yacht Primer and the top is going to be SilverTip Yacht Primer with Kiwigrip.
It will be the SilverTip Yacht Primer that will come into contact with the 5200.
Any info would be appreciated.
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Painting over 3m 5200

Post by terrulian »

3M's information here: http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrie ... =ImageFile

While they say that 4400 and 4200 are paintable, they don't say this about 5200. I would call them.

However, 5200 "remains flexible" whereas even if S3 allows some flexibility it may not allow the same degree.
Perhaps a picture would help. Normally, when I use 5200, it is on top of paint, between the final coat and a fitting of some kind. I imagine something like this is what you're doing; or do you mean the aluminum itself is cracked?
Tony

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

terrulian wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am 3M's information here: http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrie ... =ImageFile

While they say that 4400 and 4200 are paintable, they don't say this about 5200. I would call them.

However, 5200 "remains flexible" whereas even if S3 allows some flexibility it may not allow the same degree.
Perhaps a picture would help. Normally, when I use 5200, it is on top of paint, between the final coat and a fitting of some kind. I imagine something like this is what you're doing; or do you mean the aluminum itself is cracked?
Thanks for your input.
No the aluminum has not cracked. It would just be a small bead of 5200 and the primer would just touch the 5200 and maybe overlap a bit. I'm probably getting too anal about what I'm doing ( I usually do :help: )
I'll just do a test piece and see how it turns out. I'll post up the results for others who might have a similar question.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

I've painted over 5200 with Awlgrip which is a very hard finish, with no flexibility, and it has held up fairly well. I'm also just talking about a small bead, not a large area. I suspect it will eventually crack over time, but so far I've seen it hold up for a few years. I think it acts like varnish. I know from long experience, if you get varnish somewhere on a boat that it wasn't meant to be, like on stainless fittings, or dripped on your beautiful paint job, it will last a 1000 years and show no signs of degradation from the Florida sun.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

seaslug wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 pm I've painted over 5200 with Awlgrip which is a very hard finish, with no flexibility, and it has held up fairly well. I'm also just talking about a small bead, not a large area. I suspect it will eventually crack over time, but so far I've seen it hold up for a few years. I think it acts like varnish. I know from long experience, if you get varnish somewhere on a boat that it wasn't meant to be, like on stainless fittings, or dripped on your beautiful paint job, it will last a 1000 years and show no signs of degradation from the Florida sun.
Thanks for the info seaslug, that helps a lot :D