Epoxy & graphite vs Steelflex?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Backcountry
New Poster
New Poster

Epoxy & graphite vs Steelflex?

Post by Backcountry »

I’m planning on covering the bottom of the hull of my Gheenoe with an epoxy & graphite mix. A lot of folks on the various Gheenoe sites and forums that I read like to use Fasco’s Steelflex Superslick 2000. I’m intrigued by the Superslick, and at the same time, a bit leery of it. Superslick contains graphite, but it also contains Teflon, which can be some dangerous stuff. My understanding is that if you burn Teflon, the vapors are lethal ….. I’m wondering if the same type of danger might exist if/whenever you grind the stuff.
Does anyone here have first-hand experience with epoxy & graphite vs. Superslick 2000? Fasco also makes regular Steelfex, which has no Teflon; is this stuff any different from a DIY epoxy & graphite mix?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Epoxy & graphite vs Steelflex?

Post by fallguy1000 »

Technically, while I won't recommend ingesting teflon; all my reading indicates it is okay to eat and passes through.

Wear a mask for all grinding operations.

Now and then I burn a little epoxy with the oscillating tool. Can't be too healthy and comes through the mask some.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Teflon is used for cooking pans extensively. While it's probably not a good idea to breathe the dust from sanding just being around it shouldn't be a problem.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

Steelflex is tougher. All my friends who had airboats used it on the bottoms. This was before they started using poly. I followed an airboat back in my neighbor hood which had shell rock dirt roads running down the road for approx a mile. I had an old pontoon boat that I put steelflex on the bottom. Great stuff. One thing you have to make small batches when mixing. You can,t put it on fast enough and get it all done before it starts to set up. Ask me how I know. We used to go to group gatherings where there was a lot of beer and stupid things going on. I have actually seen them run across an asphalt road to get to the other pond on the other side. Good stuff and not that expensive. :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I have Gatorglide on the bottom of my GF16 and used epoxy graphite on my sons Gheenoe. The epoxy graphite is tougher but the gatorglide is slicker for sure. I'm sure the Steelflex is similar to the Gatorglide. I would save some money and go epoxy graphite.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Unless your racing you don{t need the Gatorglide. The epoxy-graphite will give you a tougher bottom.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Backcountry
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Backcountry »

I really appreciate all of the input. For my needs, sounds like the epoxy & graphite mix will be the way to go.