Do I need a primer over MarinEpoxy?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Backcountry
New Poster
New Poster

Do I need a primer over MarinEpoxy?

Post by Backcountry »

I’ve got a gallon of BP Mobile’s Jack Tar Ducking Skiff paint (olive drab) that I’m going to use on the upper part of the outer hull of my old Gheenoe. I understand that I can apply my Jack Tar to gelcoat that’s been prepped properly, and without using a primer.

The inside of the boat is freshly covered in glass with MarinEpoxy. Do I need a primer? Based on what I’ve read about System Three Silvertip Yacht Primer, it seems to fit the bill. Yay or nay? System Three recommends trying test strips of paint on their primer, which of course I can’t do unless I buy the primer first. Anyone have first-hand experience with this combo of primer and paint?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do I need a primer over MarinEpoxy?

Post by Jeff »

Backcountry, I am confident you will get many responses regarding the SystemsThree SilverTip Yacht Primer. It is great stuff and you can use it with any paint. I do not think you are going to go wrong by priming with S3 yacht primer!! Jeff

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

If it can be applied over gel coat then it can be applied over epoxy, with proper prep and a full cure. However, the primer acts as a good adhesion promoter, so if you want it to come out great with no peeling issues, then I'd go with a primer. S3 is pretty good for this task, and I think it would be ok with most paints.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

I painted the interior of my boat directly over scuffed marine epoxy. It has held up excellent. My deck was also coated with kiwigrip over marine epoxy. No issues there either in 8 years. I primed the outside hull and bottom before paint with the yacht primer. Its great stuff and HARD HARD HARD and durable as heck once cured.