Paint on Primer — Can you mix brands?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Nick Werner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Paint on Primer — Can you mix brands?

Post by Nick Werner »

Hi Everyone,
I'm considering using an Awl Grip Paint (aqua mist) on the outside of my boat and an Interlux Brightside paint on the inside.
Can I use Intelux primer for the entire boat, inside and out, and paint Awl Grip over the Interlux primer?

I'm not a chemist, so I wanted to make sure they were compatible.

Obviously, I'm kind of torn between price (Interlux is more affordable) and color (I've fallen in love with aqua mist.)

The boat is the McInnis Bateau. So, it's a little 12 foot fishing boat.

Thanks!!!!

Nick

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Paint on Primer — Can you mix brands?

Post by terrulian »

I'd be surprised if they weren't compatible but a call to tech support will usually bring an honest answer. They all want you to use their entire system, but at the same time, they don't want one of their paints to fail, either.
Tony

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The manufacturer will never go along with it for warranty, but a warrnty claim on a 12' is useless anyhow.

You need to solvent test the topcoat on the non-program primer for your own check.

Use the non branded topcoat reducer and put it on a sponge or piece of rag and tape it on the primer overnite. If the primer does anything more than soften a wee bit; don't use that topcoat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Fallguy may be right; it probably depends on the individual you talk to.
I asked this exact question of Interlux and they basically said that they could not guarantee that it would work but...it would work.
Tony

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

If it's a 2 part primer then it should be ok, if it's the one part I would be very sceptical.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I've never used Interlux primer so I'm not sure about compatibility with Awlgrip.
I can tell you that I've used System Three Yacht Primer under all sorts of topcoats such as Sterling, EMC and Interlux. These paint jobs have held up fine with no issues. Cracker Larry also used the S3 under Sterling with great success. The above mentioned paints are all solvent based, and the S3 primer has no problem keeping a grip on them.

Interestingly, the only topcoat issue I have ever had with S3 primer was with the water based S3 topcoat. It actually turned out to be defective topcoat, not a primer issue. This was 10 years ago, S3 has fixed the problem with their topcoats since then.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

if it's a 2 part primer then it should be ok, if it's the one part I would be very sceptical.
Exactly. 2 part epoxy or urethane primers are virtually 100% compatible. I've used Awlgrip over Sherwin-Williams Proline many times for instance. Never an issue. Would I do this on a big yacht? No,No, of course not since there would be almost no chance of support in the event of a problem.

Bill
Retired after too many years in the coatings field