Barrier coats

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Barrier coats

Post by terrulian »

OMG, never seen that! Excellent.
My ex father-in-law (ex because I'm no longer married to his quite lovely daughter and also because he's dead) was the lead piper in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and held the post of "piper to the queen" at Edinburgh Castle, where he did whatever the bagpipe version of "reveille" and "taps" are, morning and night. I loved the guy, but in his cups he was an abusive drunk--knock me over with a feather. I attended many a highland game with that family.

Still, don't use neat epoxy over microballoons unless you're a masochist. Oh, sorry, I forgot, you are a piper. 8O :? :lol:
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'm guessing they just want to make sure you have complete control of moisture infiltration below the water line.
A lot of us who have beachable boats use epoxy with graphite over all the bottom fairing, which would provide another layer of protection against moisture. However, by this time, you've 1) impregnated the plywood with neat epoxy 2) glassed it 3) faired it with an epoxy mix 4) applied 2-3 coats of two-part epoxy primer. I don't think a lot of water is getting through all that. At least in my lifetime--which, granted, may not be a significant period.
Tony

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

I saw the coats of neat epoxy post fairing recommended on a homebuit aircraft group as a means of eliminating pinholes. The epoxy will flow into them rather than bridging as additional fairing compound might do.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Sorry I thought this was about using a Barrier coat for fiberglass hull after fixing the blisters. :oops: :oops: