Preliminary Fairing

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Preliminary Fairing

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 pm It was also recommended i watch a few of these videos, which although auto-centric, were helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwb72qRT8hQ
Appreciate it.

I had just watched one of his earlier, very helpful. I now understand how to apply the graphite powder correctly, that was eluding me. Appears most people use a purpose-made applicator for that, I don't have one of those but will experiment with some stuff and see what works. Also learned that when using spray paint I was using way too much.

A few big mistakes I made were:

1. Crappy alignment of the butt joints as I noted previously.
2. Failed to knock down the bi-ax threads before starting the weave fill, resulting in the need for too much flooding
3. Used neat epoxy for a few flood coats, should have used epoxy mixed with filler
4. Started in with quickfair too early, when I should have still been using epoxy mixed with filler
5. Initial use of quickfair was with short, plastic bondo spatulas resulting in applications that were too thick and uneven

Getting in a groove now, doing about 1-2 hours each night as my arthritic wrists will allow. Looking forward to starting a new phase and making new mistakes.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 pm I've learned, for initial fairing, just jump in with the 40 grit, which is unheard of in the wood working business.
Speaking of woodworking, I have often pondered using a jack plane to fair instead of/in addition to sandpaper. I'm guessing it will dull pretty quickly meaning I'll spend my time sharpening instead of sanding, not sure that's a great trade off.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:54 pm
Speaking of woodworking, I have often pondered using a jack plane to fair instead of/in addition to sandpaper. I'm guessing it will dull pretty quickly meaning I'll spend my time sharpening instead of sanding, not sure that's a great trade off.
If there's one tool I am terrible with it's a hand plane, so I don't know if that works, but a cabinet scraper works well when the fairing compound or epoxy is green. I've also found a power plane works while the fairing compound is still green, but it probably dulls that quickly too. Nothing but sanding seems to work well once it's fully cured, gets too hard.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

joe2700 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:26 pm a cabinet scraper works well when the fairing compound or epoxy is green.
Agreed, I keep mine close at hand, really good at taking down ridges and removing globbed material.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I've heard some guys keep a surform tool at hand for taking down drips, globs and humps. It shaves off the high spots without making dust, similar to the scraper but perhaps requires a little less technique. It's also good for rounding over ply before applying glass.
Hank

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I use a carbide file... a lot, but not during fairing, just to shave edges down.

https://kutzall.com/collections/hand-ra ... p-original
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

This is even better than a Surform:

https://www.amazon.com/Planer-Type-Shin ... B001AWZ4S0

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:36 am This is even better than a Surform:

https://www.amazon.com/Planer-Type-Shin ... B001AWZ4S0
Thanks! Never seen one of these, but I need one, I'm going to order it right away!
Hank