System Three Quik Fair over System Three Primer

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

System Three Quik Fair over System Three Primer

Post by Dutch1 »

I've primed the top of my boat and found a few small spots I'd like to fair a little more. Normally, I'd sand the primer prior to putting any fairing over it but was wondering if I can just add the System Three Quik Fair over the System Three Primer since we can spray topcoat over the system three primer without prepping for final paint according to System Three.

Just curious. There wouldn't be any time saved on my part if I had to sand it before applying but I do wonder if the bond would be good.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: System Three Quik Fair over System Three Primer

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I've faired small defects with QF after primer. I always lightly sand and clean the area first.
Even if the instructions say it's not necessary to sand, I do it anyhow. Learned this approach from my friend CL.
Same with painting, I always sand the primer before painting.
I had some S3 paint fall off S3 primer ten years ago so I don't take chances...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:20 pm I've faired small defects with QF after primer. I always lightly sand and clean the area first.
Even if the instructions say it's not necessary to sand, I do it anyhow. Learned this approach from my friend CL.
Same with painting, I always sand the primer before painting.
I had some S3 paint fall off S3 primer ten years ago so I don't take chances...
Thank you sir! You actually answered two questions for me. It's just a few pin holes and small spots I had planned to fair. Since you learned it from CL and you do it this way this is what I'll do myself.

The other question you answered I was thinking about posting was to see if anyone had ever trusted S3 claims to paint topside paint over S3 primer without sanding (preparation). EVERYTHING tells me not to do this! But, the cured primer has the consistency of about 300 grit sandpaper. When I sand it, it's smoother. In a way it makes sense there is more surface area to grab without sanding but I just can't make myself do it. Either way, I'll be sanding the primer before spraying topside.

I have the hatches to prime still. I might take a piece of 1/4" or something thinner and prime it, then paint it with the awlgrip when I'm finishing up. Then abuse it to see if it separates.

This is the crap I think about when I can't work on the boat because it's too cold!! I can't paint or fair below 50 degrees.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I think it will stick either way, sanding or not, but I didn't use Awlgrip. On questions like this, I have no problem contacting the manufacturers--and they don't either. They'd much rather have you call with a question than get a complaint later.
Tony

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Dutch1 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:54 pm
The other question you answered I was thinking about posting was to see if anyone had ever trusted S3 claims to paint topside paint over S3 primer without sanding (preparation). EVERYTHING tells me not to do this! But, the cured primer has the consistency of about 300 grit sandpaper. When I sand it, it's smoother. In a way it makes sense there is more surface area to grab without sanding but I just can't make myself do it.
I have to admit I don’t trust some of what I read in product guidelines. I love S3 primer, their paint not so much. It sucks. The S3 guidelines for painting are for painting S3 paint over their primer. I’ll try to look up some pics of S3 paint falling off. I’m not the only one who had this issue in the past.
When you sand primer before topcoat, don’t polish it. Give it some tooth to grab. I’ll take stick over slick any day, rough up the primer. I use 180 grit myself...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Here’s an example of an S3 paint job falling off. :roll:

08B7CF4E-1D28-4946-916B-682F4D1E0602.png
Richard

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dutch1 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:01 pm I've primed the top of my boat and found a few small spots I'd like to fair a little more. Normally, I'd sand the primer prior to putting any fairing over it but was wondering if I can just add the System Three Quik Fair over the System Three Primer since we can spray topcoat over the system three primer without prepping for final paint according to System Three.

Just curious. There wouldn't be any time saved on my part if I had to sand it before applying but I do wonder if the bond would be good.

I put kiwigrip on Saturday and I was pretty careful about shine, but the bond ain't great and I now wish I had worked it more in places. I used 120 paper for kiwigrip. I use 180 for 2 pak topcoat start.
I have a nothing goes over anything shiny rule. A primer coat is generally an adhesion coat, but sanding for key is always surer.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

AA, those are some really horrible results. Did you call S3 or Awlgrip? I had some problems with figuring out Interlux Brightside, which I finally resolved, but no problems with adhesion over S3. When I called them, they said they would have a rep come to my workshop to sort it out, an offer which I didn't take since I got it together. I feel your pain. 8O
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Guys, I know AA & Cracker Larry had serious issues with the S3 Paints and I do not question that whatsoever but we just had a customer who purchased three gallons of S3 paint as he was going to re-paint his boat after 14 years (where he used S3 purchased from Jacques years ago). We are very catious when recommending S3 because of the issues AA & Cracker Larry had but I just wanted you to know that we do have many happy customers who have used S3. Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Guys, I know AA & Cracker Larry had serious issues with the S3 Paints and I do not question that whatsoever but we just had a customer who purchased three gallons of S3 paint as he was going to re-paint his boat after 14 years (where he used S3 purchased from Jacques years ago). We are very cautious when recommending S3 because of the issues AA & Cracker Larry had but I just wanted you to know that we do have many happy customers who have used S3. Jeff