Paint Falling Off XF20 System Three Primer Totalboat Topside Paint

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Paint Falling Off XF20 System Three Primer Totalboat Topside Paint

Post by CatfishHunter »

I just got through reading a few posts about a similar issue last week, i go to put on my decals today and notice the paint seemed somewhat loose. ignoring it i put on the decal and the entire area instantly bubbled and peeled off. upon further inspection there are several spots on the boat that are starting to look similar.

I used system three yacht primer and totalboat topside paint. everything was prepped, sanded and cleaned to specs so i'm pretty stumped right now. TotalBoat said they've never had an adhesion issue and instantly refunded my money and left it at that. I'm not sure where to go from here? pressure wash it then sand it all off? it seems to also be happening with the kiwigrip on the edges. I'm totally stressed, about to mount my new motor today and have several fishing trips in the near future... :lol:
Attachments
86361245_494083921302615_3561613080590811136_n.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Paint Falling Off XF20 System Three Primer Totalboat Topside Paint

Post by Jeff »

CatFishHunter, I don't have any experience with TotalBoat Paint but clearly you did not have any trouble with the SystemThree Yacht Primer as you can clearly see if has held up well!! Maybe you just had a bad can of paint?? Jeff

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

yes the primer is hard as nails, paint is soft like an oil based paint. it's a bummer either way. now to get it all off now or later????

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I think the paint had some kind of contamination in it!! Pressure wash the paint off is probably the easiest way to get that top coat off!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

You build it to be a work boat and you have work comin up. Even though it is a pretty boat. As long as the primer is holding up and you have to sand all the paint off, can you wait till you slow down enough to re-do it?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

yes thats the plan, sand the bad areas clean them up then fish the rest of the month. i'm with you jeff i think the power washer would make quick work of a bad situation.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

CatFishHunter, I have only seen a top coat paint come off in sheets like that once and the painter was absolutely positive the paint had been contaminated with something. He cleaned it up, received a refund and then repainted with the same brand/color and never had a problem again with the paint. But it took three times as much labor to get it right!!! Jeff

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

the only thing i could think that might of contaminated anything would be pollen in the air or possibly washing my brushes out in mineral spirits between coats, but i let the paint cure then sanded and cleaned between each coat??? I've never used totalboat products and only did because of all the great reviews on Jamestown dist.I still have some left but not sure if i want to go that route.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I don't blame you, I would not do it again either!! Go Interlux, it is about the same price and a really good paint!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

CatfishHunter wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 am the only thing i could think that might of contaminated anything would be pollen in the air or possibly washing my brushes out in mineral spirits between coats, but i let the paint cure then sanded and cleaned between each coat??? I've never used totalboat products and only did because of all the great reviews on Jamestown dist.I still have some left but not sure if i want to go that route.
I have a few wild guesses.

What did you clean the boat with after sanding the primer; specifically?

What was the final sanding grit of the primer?

Because you will be repeating that step....
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495