Paint Falling Off XF20 System Three Primer Totalboat Topside Paint

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Paint Falling Off XF20 System Three Primer Totalboat Topside Paint

Post by VT_Jeff »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:19 pm
I’m also not a fan of mineral spirits for cleaning paint brushes. After my first paint debacle, I throw the brush away after each coat.
Yikes.

I've been cleaning my brushes and thinning with mineral spirits, as directed by Jamestown Distributors with their TotalBoat topside paint. They now tell you to use the TotalBoat thinner but before they started selling that they said to use mineral spirits.

Am I in for a disaster?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:01 pm
Aripeka Angler wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:19 pm
I’m also not a fan of mineral spirits for cleaning paint brushes. After my first paint debacle, I throw the brush away after each coat.
Yikes.

I've been cleaning my brushes and thinning with mineral spirits, as directed by Jamestown Distributors with their TotalBoat topside paint. They now tell you to use the TotalBoat thinner but before they started selling that they said to use mineral spirits.

Am I in for a disaster?
I followed this recommendation as well. Thinned and cleaned with mineral spirits as they recommended before they sold their own branded thinner. 3 years later every bit of the paint peeled off and I'm redoing it. total boat did refund my paint cost several years ago but it's been a pain.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

CatfishHunter wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:04 pm I followed this recommendation as well. Thinned and cleaned with mineral spirits as they recommended before they sold their own branded thinner. 3 years later every bit of the paint peeled off and I'm redoing it. total boat did refund my paint cost several years ago but it's been a pain.
Well that total-y sucks! I'm a few years in on my skiff and so far no signs of peeling, knock wood. I just repainted my driftboat this winter with more of their totalboat topside paint, and probably thinned it with mineral spirits, as I have the memory of a goldfish and had no recollection of this thread. Came out looking great, I'll keep my eye on it though.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie