Page 1 of 1

Ez filet wet on wet

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:24 pm
by FluidDynamic
How long do I have after fileting joints with ez filet to still get a chemical bond?

Re: Ez filet wet on wet

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:36 pm
by joe2700
EZ Fillet cures overnight to an exceptionally strong fillet, which may be
sanded for subsequent fiberglass tape application. Alternatively, the tape can be applied after EZ Fillet starts to get
stiff. Use SilverTip laminating resin for this purpose and work EZ Fillet under the wet tape for a smooth, bubble-free
composite.

Tack-free time @ 25° C ........................................................................................ 6 hours
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1000/ ... 2554198805

It sounds like conservatively a few hours. That said, silvertip resin also has a tack free time of 3-6 hours, but is specifically states you can recoat without sanding for 72 hours, so maybe ez fillet would be the same, I'd just confirm with system 3 if you want to do that.

Either way I highly recommend placing the fiberglass tape over the fillet while the fillet is still malleable. Ez fillet is a little rough, and once it dries I think you would have to sand before adding the tape just to smooth it out. If you apply the tape over malleable ez fillet, say within an hour, you skip an entire sanding step.

I would fillet a few seams, then add tape to those seams, then keep going like that instead of trying to do all the fillets then all the taping. It's a very easy process. I also prefer wetting out the tapes on the table then moving them to the boat, but that's just personal preference.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 am
by FluidDynamic
Thanks. I did exactly what you said. I wish I could have gotten the woven fabric on after putting on the tape, but I ran out of time. I guess I'll have to sand now.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:26 am
by fallguy1000
FluidDynamic wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:24 pm How long do I have after fileting joints with ez filet to still get a chemical bond?
Most likely 72, but it is far better to work wet on wet. I basically never fillet without being ready to tape anymore. I think I have a hatch lid to finish with sanded fillet, but I will probably go over it again.

Consider a wet thixo mix and a tape bedded into it; nothing better.

When I first started; I did some fillets and sanded them. Massive pita for inferior quality.

Try to have something else ready and waiting for your extra fillers.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:27 am
by fallguy1000
FluidDynamic wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 am Thanks. I did exactly what you said. I wish I could have gotten the woven fabric on after putting on the tape, but I ran out of time. I guess I'll have to sand now.
Sanding tapes is my life. Gets glass all over me. Part of building.