Going with Kiwi Grip Nautolex marine vinyl flooring SUCKS!!

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Going with Kiwi Grip Nautolex marine vinyl flooring SUCKS!!

Post by Capt UB »

Going with Kiwi Grip

My FS14 SandPiper is getting a facelift, one of the biggest problems was the floor covering. I had installed Nautolex marine vinyl flooring with their products and followed their instructions, but it lifted. So now I'm removing it and going to sand the sole/deck and prep for ……..??

Hopefully some of you will give me some advice on what to use, needs to be non-skid, no rubber (in the paint) and a hard finish.

Over the decades I have used sandbox sand (fine grain and shifted), rock salt, table salt, rubber pellets...

Who has a good thread on masking the area for painting?

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Capt UB on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Nautolex marine vinyl flooring SUCKS!!

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am using kiwigrip. But I can see how it might come up easily.

I really like the stuff in the Lund Alaskan, but not sure what it is.

Any commercial flooring product will be harder to replace, but look nicer than traction paint.

The one thing I am going to use is seadek on the insides of the boat. Outside has a shorter service life. Outside in Florida sun, I'd use something that you can powerwash and retouch without a full removal.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:19 am I am using kiwigrip. But I can see how it might come up easily.

I really like the stuff in the Lund Alaskan, but not sure what it is.

Any commercial flooring product will be harder to replace, but look nicer than traction paint.

The one thing I am going to use is seadek on the insides of the boat. Outside has a shorter service life. Outside in Florida sun, I'd use something that you can powerwash and retouch without a full removal.

Thanks for the input..
I saw a lot of Kiwigrip was being used, I have not used it. Will look into it.

Bob

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think you need to make sure you have a rougher substrate with the kiwigrip Bob. I got a litte of it on my poly paint on the Skoota and it comes off with a fingernail.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I didn't say anything when you put that junk on (you had already done it), but anticipated its failure in short order. I had a friend use it once and he had the same result.

I just put Kiwi Grip on the OD18 on top of EMC Quantum paint. The advice from other builders and the Kiwi Grip application instructions emphasize a well sanded surface and letting it fully cure (days) before walking on it. First time I used it and it was really easy to put on and I like the finish. where I dripped some outside of the lines it easily came off those smooth surfaces, so the trick is to sand the paint first. Hopefully it will hold up for a LONG time.

The old non skid was System 3 non-skid material mixed with paint and rolled on.

Kiwi Grip has several videos on masking out patterns and applying, including how to embed a logo, which we did with the boat name graphic. The taping took as long or longer than painting the stuff on! I did a layer as thin as possible to get total coverage and non-skid, as I had been on a boat before that had it laid on thick and with an aggressive finish - that boat was like walking on jagged Karst limestone!!! You wouldn't/couldn't slip and fall, but if you did you would have cuts and scratches all over you!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Not gonna lie, I cringed a bit when you did the vinyl flooring. I'm going with EMC Quantum, I'm using ground fine pumice and the salt shaker method for my non skid. If you are dead set on another type of flooring I would just go with SeaDek and be done.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

You can order a sample of all their stuff from SeaDek. It is a type of EVA foam, I think it is EVA-PE foam, that you can find from other sources but not in the same colors. All of our paddle board have the stuff and it has held up pretty good. Even the board that flew off the trailer and was ran over a few times. The tire tracks came right out with a little lite sanding! I like the feel and the traction even when wet. Only down side is sharp edges will snag into it, that, and the UV causing problems over time. Wonder if 303 protectant would help preserve it a lot longer?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

58869A24-71D0-46BF-A953-5F54ED26157A.jpeg
605BE4CE-7675-4A42-8286-74A4E8BB5EA7.jpeg
5CEC6308-19C2-4EE6-B0A6-93CB9983F60C.jpeg
F66CE612-D7ED-4201-94D8-34321F21F645.jpeg
75ABEBE6-2825-406A-BEF4-ACFC26B07E53.jpeg
I ordered a sheet of Seadek like 2 months ago. It got here today. Didn't know what it was until opened. I really like the stuff. More for inside. I might even use it in the shower.

It is self adhesive. Going in my cabin. Wanted a piece here to be 100%.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

I'd say Kiwi Grip. I used it in my OD18, it's been on there for 10 years and is going strong. I use clorox bleach and a scrub brush and then a power washer to clean it. I have not had any lift on me. I'll get a picture for you and show you what 10 year old kiwi grip looks like.

Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 pm I think you need to make sure you have a rougher substrate with the kiwigrip Bob. I got a litte of it on my poly paint on the Skoota and it comes off with a fingernail.

I'm going with Kiwi grip. I'm going have to sand with 32 grit and reseal with a neat coat of epoxy, then sand again, then Kiwi grip.

Still like the Nautolex look and feel, they were of no help when I called.

Thanks for your input.

Bob