Basalt fiber cloth

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
ProfzrX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Basalt fiber cloth

Post by ProfzrX »

I have been hearing about this cloth "Basalt" on some other forums and was wondering if anyone on here has used it for any of their builds? If so, how was it to work with and would you use it again? The limited information I have been able to find on the web shows its 10x stronger then fiberglass. Thanks for any information.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Basalt fiber cloth

Post by Jeff »

We have heard about the Basalt cloth as well but that is it for us at the shop!!! Jeff

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

It is certainly NOT 10x stronger than glass. I've looked into it but no huge competitive advantage considering much higher cost
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

ProfzrX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ProfzrX »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:07 pm It is certainly NOT 10x stronger than glass. I've looked into it but no huge competitive advantage considering much higher cost
I even asked if it was a typo and meant to say percent? He doubled down and responded with "X"! He claims he'll be posting lab graphs soon. I figured I'd ask here as I know the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Thanks.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... lit=Basalt

It's been a while but was discussed. Two builders on here use/used it previously.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

I had a sample (3 sq yds) from a South African catamaran builder. IIRC it was about 19 oz sq yd triax. Absolutely marvelous stuff. Easy to wet out, absolutely loves epoxy. conforms well to curves, minimal fraying etc. It is probably 3x the cost of glass (here in Canada) but I would have loved to build my whole boat with it. I think it's more common now than it was 9 yrs ago when I started. :oops:

Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

ProfzrX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ProfzrX »

Thanks for all the responses. They have been very helpful.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I will get back to you on Monday as soon as I have a response from my supplier!!! Have a good weekend, Jeff

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basalt_fiber

If this is correct, about 20% stronger on a weight for weight basis. If the fatigue properties are better, that could also help, but I've seen no data on that.

Your supplier may have been comparing a Basalt epoxy layup to a chopper gun polyester layup. That might get close to a 10x increase especially on a long term comparison. (Chopped glass has only about 10% of it's ultimate strength if fatigue over millions of cycles of use is to be considered. Wood epoxy about 50%).

WC53
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WC53 »

You are seeing it a bit on the Northern canoe building sites. Ease of wetting out and draping have been mentioned. Some also using with innegra blends for a tough flexible shell. The only places I have seen it lately, it is expensive. It would be great to have a reasonable supplier.

Some comments from a manufacturing forum that different physical properties from different mines slows production. But who knows. Ymmv