Fiberglass

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Chris L
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: XF20

Post by Chris L »

Ok I’m sure I have over thought this beyond normalcy but trying to cut to the chase. The original plan I purchased is no longer the best way to build boat. The new version is the heavy duty, which is a different and a lot more material for building. That being said my panels have already been cut if we continue on building like the old way but just using the updated lamination schedule will that present any problems. Example: should we use butt blocks for bottom of boat panels or glass splices? In their original plans it was but block preferred now it’s optional. The new plans call for 1708 on the bottom up 6 inches of the waterline then it’s optional if or what you want to use for the rest of the sides or shear. I guess to simplify if I layup the 1708 glass I would rather do the bottom and all the sides in 1708. From that point what weight glass would be best for the inside hull, stringers etc. I want to do a raised deck so I was just going to cut solid frames in the dimensions of the new plan and place them in location based on the build sheet. I know BBC offers kits etc but all I need is glass. Any insight on other builds or what they used. All new to me, eventually I will figure it out. I just started questioning when original plan said 1708 inside and out and new plan has different approach. Thanks

Chris L
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Fiberglass

Post by Chris L »

Sorry didn’t realize this last post posted to this fiberglass forum.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I wouldn't sweat it. Use 1708 if you have otherwise two layers of 12oz biax will have equivalent stiffness and better strength.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct. Use the new specs. The hull panels are exactly the same. I added a sole but it is optional. I also made the transom from several layers of plywood instead of one layer plus a 2 by 8. Same for the stringers and frames: it's all plywood now. You can combine the two versions but I would keep it simple and build according to the new specs.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com