Epoxy covering ply for painted finish

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Epoxy covering ply for painted finish

Post by Jaysen »

I’m about to start swapping unrecoverable teal with meranti ply. My plan is to paint the ply to reduce the need to varnish. Yes I’m lazy.

We’ve all said “coat with epoxy” then paint.

So I’m out in the shed to get my list of needed supplies and I pick up a can of s3 primer. Epoxy primer. As in the stuff we use to seal the ply.

So the question is, other than maybe as fairing compound, do I need to net coat or is s3 primer adequate?

For forks sake, I’ve edited this 4 times to fix the title. I need help.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Epoxy covering ply for painted finish

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 pm I’m about to start swapping unrecoverable teal with meranti ply. My plan is to paint the ply to reduce the need to varnish. Yes I’m lazy.

We’ve all said “coat with epoxy” then paint.

So I’m out in the shed to get my list of needed supplies and I pick up a can of s3 primer. Epoxy primer. As in the stuff we use to seal the ply.

So the question is, other than maybe as fairing compound, do I need to net coat or is s3 primer adequate?

For forks sake, I’ve edited this 4 times to fix the title. I need help.
I don't know. Not sure if that helps.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well ... kind of. At least in the sense of confirming that it’s a real unknown.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Jaysen,

IMHO, I like to coat everything in a marine environment with 2 light coats of epoxy. This ensures that the wood stays sealed no matter if the paint and primer wear down over time. As I'm sure you have noticed, epoxy is a lot harder to sand through than the System Three Primer (or any primer for that matter). Reason being, epoxy is mechanically stronger than the primer. Yes, the Yacht Primer by System Three is an epoxy based primer but it is still not as strong as normal laminating epoxy. The primer gives the paint a good smooth surface for the paint to adhere to. It also gives the builder a surface to sand and make smooth prior to paint while not compromising the epoxy or fiberglass underneath.
Could you get away without applying epoxy, maybe... but why not ensure that the wood is sealed for good.

-reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I agree with Reid. Often primer is modified to make it easier to sand. I can't imagine that this helps waterproofness or strength. If it was always above the waterline it might not matter but why not coat it anyway?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Marinepoxy coat first it is.

OneWayTraffic... in my case the answer to that question is “wife”. That and I’d need to get some clear 2 part vs using up my leftover stuff I have here. Which is really back to the first answer I gave.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

>> unrecoverable teal <<

Is that kind of like avocado green from the '60's?
:D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Chenier wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:14 pm >> unrecoverable teal <<

Is that kind of like avocado green from the '60's?
:D
Yes. The boat is a ‘79 and it has all those wonderful colors from my childhood. Even the teak that is being replaced by ply has the tie died feeling of one too many deadhead trips.

If I go back and fix all the issues with that first post it would still be a draft.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Meranti or okume ply sealed in epoxy and then covered with a uv protection is gorgeous. Varnish is cheap, but will require sanding and refinishing about every other year. Clear EMC Quantum has held up for me for almost 4 years now on an outdoor bar and the epoxy is still clear underneath. More work and cost than painting, but having the bright work is nice, and cheaper and less maintenance than teak. My 1.5 cents.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman