Anodised Fiberglass

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Anodised Fiberglass

Post by JBPhoenix »

Hi Team,

I got a couple of samples of Anodised Fibreglass this morning. This is NOT Carbon Fiber but Fibreglass that has been charged and anodised with Aluminium powder. From what I can tell from handling the cloth (300gsm) is that feels slightly stiffer and because of this it lays down on a flat surface incredibly well. It seems a little more resistant to skewing in the weave although in saying that it flexes and forms to shapes in the same way would expect my standard cloth to do. The weave looks very clean and really does have that "Carbon look"

So why did I order this ? Ill be honest and say that LOVE the look of carbon fibre but I understand its not best suited for my purpose which is building the Panga 20. Also I despise painting and rarely get a good finish no matter how hard I try. This glass however may just kill those two birds with one stone.

I am going to preparer some samples and see how it lays up and wets out with the addition of the aluminium powder coat.. I will post the results when I am done.
tempImageotrho2.gif
tempImageDJFsJK.gif
tempImageL1dwln.gif
tempImage9WyQPg.gif

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Anodised Fiberglass

Post by OneWayTraffic »

That looks fantastic. Wouldn't UV still be an issue with epoxy though?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:26 am That looks fantastic. Wouldn't UV still be an issue with epoxy though?
Of course. In order to use that stuff, you need about 15 coats of varnish over it on decks.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 am
OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:26 am That looks fantastic. Wouldn't UV still be an issue with epoxy though?
Of course. In order to use that stuff, you need about 15 coats of varnish over it on decks.
Or a UV rated clear coat from EMC, interlux or other marine paint.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Cool stuff. System 3 has a UV resistant epoxy, SB-112 https://www.systemthree.com/collections ... oard-epoxy , check it out. Then a couple of layers of 2 part polyurethane which has a life line of 4 times normal clear coat varnish so maybe 10-12 years and your set. https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-pai ... ction-plus

Good luck, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 am
Or a UV rated clear coat from EMC, interlux or other marine paint.
Oh come on!! Who is gonna paint it?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Problem with all clear coats is that they use UV filters that eventually get used up. OK if you can store out of direct sunlight.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

JBPhoenix wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 pm Also I despise painting and rarely get a good finish no matter how hard I try.
+1000%

Very interested to see how it works out, someone must have already solved the uv riddle I'm guessing.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:51 am
JBPhoenix wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 pm Also I despise painting and rarely get a good finish no matter how hard I try.
+1000%

Very interested to see how it works out, someone must have already solved the uv riddle I'm guessing.
The solution suggested to me... keep your boat inside and only use it at night. That or learn to enjoy refinishing.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 am The solution suggested to me... keep your boat inside and only use it at night. That or learn to enjoy refinishing.
It's only in your lattitude where things spontaneoulsy combust like a drummer/vampire as soon as they leave the garage(or "carport" as you may say) . In the Northeast, we worry about UV as much as we worry about earthquakes. Ahh shit doesn't make it ahhta the cellah ahnuff to be a frickin prawblim, okay? An tell Brady he's always frickin' welcome at my grammahs house fah suppah if he stahhts gettin livah spahts or whatevah down theyah, okay?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie