Page 1 of 1

18 year old epoxy

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:32 am
by bklake
Cleaning the garage and found 1 gallon of MAS epoxy and hardener. It is old enough to vote, should I use it?

I'll check for crystalizing and separation. A test mix or two would be smart before using on anything important. I don't have a scientific way to test the strength or other properties.

Thoughts?

Re: 18 year old epoxy

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am
by fallguy1000
Bond a couple of boards together. Inch by inch, not endgrain. Think 2x4s cut inch by inch by inch n a half.

Use a bit of thickener.

Let is cure a week. If it pulls apart; reject. If it breaks some wood; accept.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:46 pm
by Fuzz
I do not know about Mas but I built my dory out of 20 plus year old system3 epoxy. The hardner had turned yellow like honey. The resin was in 5 gallon pails. The bottom half in both jugs was rock hard. I put the jugs in hot water and let it set till it cooled. I had to do this about three times but it did return to normal. It must have been ok as the dory is 8 years old and doing fine :wink:

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:03 pm
by OneWayTraffic
For WEST the check is pot life. If the standard mass gels within the stated pot life time at the stated temperature then it will be fine. Better that seeing if you get a full cure as properties may not be the same, even if it appears cured.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:56 am
by bklake
Well, I used it. Parts A and B looked fine in the bottles, no crystals. Part A resin did have some crusties in the bottom that didn't show up until I poured out the last little bit. Seems to have cured fine.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:48 pm
by Fuzz
Good deal. Hate to waste that stuff if it can be helped.