Durabak

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Thanks for the pictures. They show exactly the detail I was hoping to see. :)

ks

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Bobs, beautiful job on the GF! The non skid looks great, very similar to the evercoat I use.

I have one concern about your boat that I feel I need to share. That bow cleat, that is an accident waiting to happen. If someone loses their balance and falls on that thing they will get seriously injured. Having 4 inches of cleat horn up your butt or between the eyes or through someones forearm or thigh will ruin everybody's day.
I've seen it happen a couple of times. Really. 8O

Please, please turn that thing sideways! The grief you save will be worth the effort.

Again, beautiful job!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Bobs, that boat looks great! Thanks for posting the picture.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks for the Pics and the explanation, bobs. I'm going with the Durabak. Get's the best reviews and your pictures helped me decide. One more question, though. Is it too rough for the seats?

bookseeb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bookseeb »

Thank you for all the info I recieved on Durabak, it helped in making my decision. Like steven I was curious about the texture, on the seats and elsewhere. I have ordered a request brochure from durabak and they have given me a sample of the texture on a 2x3 aluminum card, which gives you the chance to bend, scratch and feel the texture. Although I think it would sure hold your ass in place, I don't deem it too rough for the seats.

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Anyon know how stain resistant the lighter colors are? This seems like a great option, as it seems more difficult to chip when things are dropped on it. If it stains easily or is hard to clean, it would be a serious drawback.

Bobs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bobs »

Hi Steven

I dont think its to rough for the seats but also dont think I would like to sit on it. I guess its personal choice. They also make it in smooth but in less colors and probably not as non skid. The guy at durabak told me if the texture was to rough you go over it with the smooth to kinda soften it a little.

Also thanks for the nice comments on the boat. Nice thing about pictures is they dont show all the screw ups. I give the interior about a 5 because of sloppy fillets that you cant see in the pic. The outside came much better, maybe an 8 or 9. Also the durabak helps hide some of this because of its thickness. When I repaint in a few years I'll go with semi-gloss on the interior or maybe the smooth durabak up the interior sides. When I get it out of the garage and dust it off I'll post more pics.

Thanks
Bob

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

looking forward to those other pictures! And shots in the water of course...

ks

bookseeb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bookseeb »

Old E. wrote:Anyon know how stain resistant the lighter colors are? This seems like a great option, as it seems more difficult to chip when things are dropped on it. If it stains easily or is hard to clean, it would be a serious drawback.
Good Q. I did my own test on the card that durabak gave me, it's light gray. I dabbed some blood in one corner and used motor oil in another and left it for a couple days, the blood came out ok, but the the oil left a stain that I couln't get out even with a soupy scrubrush. I'm sure something might get it out and maybe durabak would have an answer to that
This was certainly not a formal test, just something I wanted to try. Maybe someone who actually has it in their boat or has more experience with the product could answer the question better.

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

That would be a REAL problem. Did you try softscrub, comet, or anything other than soap?